1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

'97 PSD shudder at idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 01:33 PM
CowboyUp1387
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'97 PSD shudder at idle

'97 F250 5-spd, The thing seems to do it more in the winter/cold, someone has told me it sounds like it's runnin rich, which it smells like. If i start it up in my garage your eyes water within seconds. But anyways, it will do a shuddering thing when at idle sometimes, it seems to do it more from doing low-RPM manuvers under a little load, like trying to move in a parking lot. usually it will go away if i blip the throttle a little, sometimes it just doesn't go away until i get off idle. It's kinda loud and embarassing, i have no codes anymore, thought it was maybe my cam sensor that i just replaced but it was no change. any help on what to do/check so i hopefully won't have to bring it somewhere and have someone else touch my baby!!! Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:48 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
I was thinking it could be the IPR but will a "blip" of the throttle fix it? Also the IPR causes a rough idle when hot, also a no start issue.

Does you truck still have the original style dual mass flywheel? It might be ready to be replaced with a single mass (south bend, luk)

Old 02-23-2007, 06:12 PM
CowboyUp1387
Junior User
It isn't just a vibration thing, it's more of a noise, almost like it's not firing correctly or something. It does shake because i can feel it in the shifter if i have my music loud (that's how i know that it's doing it when i can't hear it). BTW what's IPR? Kinda new to this forum stuff just starting to get back into it. Thanks for the help!

Old 02-23-2007, 08:05 PM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
He bro, I think you have a dual mass fly wheel going out. When you shut down does it clunk sometimes? Also some of the manuever i.e pressing in the clutch under load can cause the problem to get worse. on your left there is a link to carolina clutch, they have a clutch kit that comes with a single mass fly wheel replacement for the dual mass. It is very common for the DMF to go out long before the clutch goes bad or gets worn out