Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Envalve - anybody ever use one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 05:36 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 225 Likes on 176 Posts
Why you do not want a vacuum in the crankcase is because you will draw unfiltered air into the crankcase through the seals that will dirty up the oil, shorten the oil filter life and the life of the engine.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:32 AM
Cracker289
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by subford
Why you do not want a vacuum in the crankcase is because you will draw unfiltered air into the crankcase through the seals that will dirty up the oil, shorten the oil filter life and the life of the engine.
No; that is why you don't want BLOWBY in the crankcase! It's not tiny amount of "unfiltered air" seeping in around old gaskets that is the problem, it's the huge (by comparison) amount of blowby from the cylinders squeezing past the rings that dirty the oil and shorten it's life.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:42 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Cracker289
No; that is why you don't want BLOWBY in the crankcase! It's not tiny amount of "unfiltered air" seeping in around old gaskets that is the problem, it's the huge (by comparison) amount of blowby from the cylinders squeezing past the rings that dirty the oil and shorten it's life.
You do not understand how seals and a normal PCV system works do you?

Are you a sales person for this device?

The way the PCV system works is the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system cycles crankcase gases back through the engine where they are burned. The PCV valve regulates the amount of ventilating air and blow-by gas to the intake manifold and prevents backfire from traveling into the crankcase. On some engine applications, the PCV system is connected to the evaporative emission system.

Do not remove the normal PCV system from the engine. Removal of the PCV system will adversely affect fuel economy and engine ventilation and result in shorter engine life.

The seals are set up to keep gases or liquid from going out of the engine under pressure (by a spring most of the time). They are not meant to keep what is on the outside out. So as long as you do not have a vacuum in the engine they work as they are designed. With a vacuum they will pull back an open the gap between the crankshaft and the seal. What will come in is large abrasive particles. When these fill up the oil filter the oil filter will go in to bypass and the large abrasive particles will go between all the moving parts or no or little oil will flow.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:59 AM
NotEnoughTrucks2014
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Ha's going to have to make some vacuum before he sucks anything in or out of that crankcase and it just is not going to happen with this device.

I've challenged him for proof, (vacuum gauge on the crankcase), but all we get is more rhetoric.

I don't know why a forum member for over 10 years with 450+ posts would choose to troll us, but I suspect that is what is happening.

Envalve will suck money out of your wallet, but not fumes out of a crankcase.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:22 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
His engine is shot anyhow, why else would there be so much blowby that it is pumping oil out every gasket and seal?

What's a little grit if you can drive it without adding a quart every time you fill up?

Old 12-01-2014, 06:32 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
sounds like he's being genuine, and has his reasons. and this is nothing new, diesels and carb'd vehicles have had OE systems just like this, systems that pull vacuum on the crankcase...dating back to who knows when. engine builders run pcv straight to vac lines with no pre filter on the other valve cover. doing a conventional setup would be a massive vacuum leak ...

props to the guy for speakin his mind. 58 bucks for a glorified pcv system it is, and functional for those who don't know the difference.

for the record, I wouldn't own one. but there are some situations where I'd pull vac on the crankcase, and more situations that I wouldn't.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:20 PM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A friend of mine had a Jarvik valve installed in his heart and he still runs great.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:59 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by '89F2urd
this is nothing new, diesels and carb'd vehicles have had OE systems just like this, systems that pull vacuum on the crankcase...dating back to who knows when. engine builders run pcv straight to vac lines with no pre filter on the other valve cover. doing a conventional setup would be a massive vacuum leak ...
Not true.
I have not seen any OE systems or read about any OE systems that pulled a vacuum on the crankcase.
Also every OE PCV system I have seen had a filter on the air going into the crankcase.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:35 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Die spam monster, die!

Anyone remember road draft tubes?

Old 12-02-2014, 01:44 AM
Cracker289
Fleet Mechanic
You do not understand how seals and a normal PCV system works do you?

Are you a sales person for this device?

The way the PCV system works is the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system cycles crankcase gases back through the engine where they are burned. The PCV valve regulates the amount of ventilating air and blow-by gas to the intake manifold and prevents backfire from traveling into the crankcase. On some engine applications, the PCV system is connected to the evaporative emission system.

Do not remove the normal PCV system from the engine. Removal of the PCV system will adversely affect fuel economy and engine ventilation and result in shorter engine life.

The seals are set up to keep gases or liquid from going out of the engine under pressure (by a spring most of the time). They are not meant to keep what is on the outside out. So as long as you do not have a vacuum in the engine they work as they are designed. With a vacuum they will pull back an open the gap between the crankshaft and the seal. What will come in is large abrasive particles. When these fill up the oil filter the oil filter will go in to bypass and the large abrasive particles will go between all the moving parts or no or little oil will flow.
No, I am not a sales person for this device and have no connection to the guy who sells them on ebay. The original guy that came up with these I believe passed away and now someone else sells them while the original dude's wife gets a royalty on whatever he sells. I am only a user, customer, therefore my response is to the original person who asked for any first-hand experiences of people who had tried this device. Other than that my posts are only to counter misinformation such as your post above. Such as this:

"With a vacuum they will pull back an open the gap between the crankshaft and the seal."

No, 6 inches of vacuum will not cause your seals to fail.

"The seals are set up to keep gases or liquid from going out of the engine under pressure (by a spring most of the time). They are not meant to keep what is on the outside out. "

No, your engine gaskets are not 1 way seals. The crankcase is not supposed to be pressurized, but that happens when an engine gets old.

"Removal of the PCV system will adversely affect fuel economy"

No, it won't. It is an emissions control device and reduces fuel economy. As is the envalve.

".. and engine ventilation and result in shorter engine life."

Keeping the crankcase clean does help the engine live longer, but the point is that at some point, the PCV valve has lost it's effectiveness because it can't keep up with the blowby in a worn engine. So this is a step up from that.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:47 AM
Cracker289
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by xvnxgh
Sounds like BS to me. If it worked that well they would put them on at the factory as OE. Nothing fixes a need for a rebuild, except a rebuild.
Absolutely I need a rebuild. No argument there. But it is nice to be able to use the truck for almost 2 years now without having to put that $$ into it.

I don't think the auto manufacturers see it as something worth spending the extra money on, since it's not really offering much of an improvement until late in the life of the engine.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:50 AM
Cracker289
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Die spam monster, die!

Anyone remember road draft tubes?
My 55 Chevy still has the road draft tube

Old 12-02-2014, 02:13 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Originally Posted by Cracker289
Absolutely I need a rebuild. No argument there. But it is nice to be able to use the truck for almost 2 years now without having to put that $$ into it.

I don't think the auto manufacturers see it as something worth spending the extra money on, since it's not really offering much of an improvement until late in the life of the engine.
You realize you're replying to a spambot, right???

Old 12-02-2014, 06:02 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Not true.
I have not seen any OE systems or read about any OE systems that pulled a vacuum on the crankcase.
Also every OE PCV system I have seen had a filter on the air going into the crankcase.
Easy one. 6.9, 7.3. Granted, NA they don't generate the vacuum a throttle body equipped gasser does...they def generate vac turbod and the system doesn't change. That's one that comes to mind....

Old 12-02-2014, 06:12 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Cracker289,
Sorry but what I posted in post #18 above was quotes right out of the Ford shop manual. Maybe you should tell the Ford engineers how all of this works.
Maybe I should have noted that.

Jim,
Yes I had a road draft tubes on about 5 of my Fords from 1951-1959. Not sure if my 1966 had on or not. There was a filter above the tube that hung down and also the cap where you put the oil in the rocker cover had an oil impregnated mesh to filter the air going into the engine.

When I was out in S.D. California in the Navy in 1961 they passed the PCV law and I had to take my 1956 312 into a muffler shop have a hole punched in the rocker arm cover for the PCV valve. It seems like the hose from the PCV valve went to the air cleaner. They caped off the road draft tube as I recall. I am not sure if that was a valve or just a hose running to the air cleaner.

Quick Reply: Envalve - anybody ever use one?