1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Help...97 F250HD 7.3L Wont crank

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 03:26 PM
BD15
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help...97 F250HD 7.3L Wont crank

Having issues with starting. I do not normally drive this truck in the winter, I only use it for camping in the summer (No 4 wheel drive). Well here the problem. Usually the truck sits most of the winter unless it is descent out side (30F - 40F). I try to periodically take it for an hour trip just to keep everthing lubricated. Yesterday I tried to start it and the batteries ran down quick with no start, generally this is typical. I put the charger on it all night and today went out to try and now it will not even crank, it barely clicks. It acts as though the batteries are still dead. The batteries were replaced last spring. I pulled the cables and cleaned them to make sure I was getting good contact. Any suggestions on where to start?

Thanks,
Brad

Old 02-18-2007, 04:20 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Check the water level of the batteries. If you charged them whith it low or empty they might me toast. I sounds like just a simple battery problem.

Also check and clean the connection on the starter

Old 02-18-2007, 04:36 PM
BD15
New User
Water level in both batteries was full. I'm having the wife take them in to be tested and or replacemed accordingly.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:40 PM
BD15
New User
Both batteries load tested ok. Whats next the solenoid? Starter? Are there any tests while these are still on the truck?

Old 02-18-2007, 06:14 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
So the truck just clicks when you turn the key? Can you tell if its from the left side of the engine compartmant or the starter?

Old 02-18-2007, 09:44 PM
dinikin
Senior User
Originally Posted by ForemanES
So the truck just clicks when you turn the key? Can you tell if its from the left side of the engine compartmant or the starter?
That's what I was thinking. The relay.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:01 AM
BodegaErik
Freshman User
If your batteries test fine I would say your starter is toast. Take your starter off and have it bench tested. If you have to buy a new one have it bench tested before you buy it. I had an experience where I bought a new one from Autozone. Took it home and installed it only to find the truck still not starting. Took the starter back to have bench tested and it failed!!! New starter failed!!! And Autozone did not have another in stock. They called Kragen for me and sent me there to get a starter. I had the guy bench test this 2nd new starter and it FAILED!!!! That was the only one they had in stock. They called another Kragen and had the guy bench test one before I drove there to get it. 3rd starter of the day was a charm....

Old 02-21-2007, 05:26 PM
BD15
New User
Finally had a chance to put the batteries back in tonight (busy week). I had the daughter turn the key for me and whats clicking is the solenoid. I'm assuming that is what is mounted high on the passenger inner fender. Does this mean that this is what is bad?

Old 02-21-2007, 06:28 PM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have fully charged batteries and the solenoid is clicking, then it's bad. Replace it. You can jump the two big post to make sure. ***Be advised that this causes electrical sparks, and you have to make sure the vehicle is in park or neutral as it overrides any safety features. ****

Old 02-21-2007, 07:18 PM
14psd
Senior User
If the truck starts like plowhand told you to do you have a bad selenoid. If not and still haveing trouble starting, try and jump start the truck with another vehicle. I had a similar thing happen about a month ago. Batteries tested and load tested ok. But would not start my truck. I had two vehicles trying to jump start my truck and had no luck. Made autozone warranty the batteries and varoom truck started. Your batteries have to be well maintained and charged or our trucks do not like them at all. Good luck and keep us informed.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:34 PM
tdark
Freshman User
Take the batteries to a shop who has a 40-amp 12-Volt Battery Charger . Let them charge the batteries for about a hour each. If this truck was cranking when you last used it then the batteries are the problem. tom

Old 02-21-2007, 08:47 PM
BD15
New User
I will have to wait until tomarrow to try jump starting the truck and see what happens. I did try jumping across the 2 terminals on the solenoid and there was minimal sparks and no starter activity.
Thanks for everyones help. I really appreciate the advice. Being new to the Diesel world I really enjoy reading all the posts to help prepare me for anything that might come up.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:25 PM
BD15
New User
Ok thought I would just replace the solenoid just to eliminate that variable. I stopped by autozone tonight and asked for a starter solenoid for a 97 F250HD 7.3L. The parts guy initally gave me one that mounts onto the starter. I said I don't think thats right, Its the one on the inner fender. He came back a few minutes later with a Duralast F496. Brought it home and compared it to what was on the truck. It looks different. The new one has 4 terminal and the old has 3. The terminals on the new one are accross from each other and its phsically larger. I'm questioning if this is even the right part so I did not install it. I would imagine if I hooked it up it would work but will it last if its the incorrect one? Doesnt a diesel require a more heavy duty solenoid? Anyone know off hand if this solenoid is the correct one? Thanks.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:39 AM
AutoSport Catalog
Freshman User
When storing the truck in winter, connect a battery charger/maintainer (http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=4105) to keep the battery up to par.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:07 PM
96stroke
New User
I had some starting issues recently, too. Batteries were good. I took off the terminals, and cleaned everything (terminals and posts for both batts) really well with a wire brush, re-installed with electrolyte jelly, and now its a lot better.

Quick Reply: Help...97 F250HD 7.3L Wont crank