Notices
Oil & Lubrication  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What oil should I use?

Old 02-18-2007, 09:52 AM
newtattoobob1
New User
newtattoobob1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
What oil should I use?

I have a 2005 F250 4x4 with the 5.4. I don't put many miles on, maybe 4,000 per year. When it is used it is in the winter for my short commute to work which is about 8 miles each way. In the summer when it is hot I pull my trailer which can weigh up to 10k. I have been using Motorcraft 5W20 syn-blend and Baldwin filters, and I am only changing the oil once a year. I am wondering if 5W20 is too thin when I am towing in the summer? Could I benefit from a full synthetic and different filter? Or should I stick with what I am using. Thanks Bob

Old 02-18-2007, 03:17 PM
ranger racer
New User
ranger racer is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would use pennzoil platinum 5w20 with a motorcraft filter and continue to change it once a year

Old 02-18-2007, 03:23 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
bigdaddyII is a splendid one to beholdbigdaddyII is a splendid one to beholdbigdaddyII is a splendid one to beholdbigdaddyII is a splendid one to beholdbigdaddyII is a splendid one to beholdbigdaddyII is a splendid one to behold
I think you would be fine with the motorcraft oil, but I would use a motorcraft filter with it.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:59 PM
OSin86
Posting Guru
OSin86 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Honestly you're fine all around. To be 100% sure just pull a sample around 6 months and have a place like Blackstone take a look at it. In theory you have already picked a combo that should last just fine. At 4000 miles you really won't benefit much from a full synthetic.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:50 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
firesoutmatt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Look in your owners manual . It will tell you what viscosity and temp to use what fluid.

20 oil seems low for towing above 50 degrees F.
You have the 5w for winter.
I would be using a 30 or 40 for summer towing.

A good syn 5w40 should do just about right but check your manual.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:18 AM
pawpaw
pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
I know you don't put many miles on this ride, but it's the type of miles that you rightfully need to be concerned with.

Seeing as how it's sorta medium/short trip winter & some summer hot weather towing tossed in, imo that recipe meets the definition of "severe service", so consideration of a good synthetic lube with a strong add pack & high base number, isn't out of line at all. Sure isn't likely to hurt it!!!!

To be certain of whats going on though, why not have a UOA (Used Oil Analisis) done, as OSin86 has suggested, then you will know for sure how the lube & filter your now using, is holding up under your drive cycles.

Blackstone Labs is one of our site sponsers & has a good rep from the folks that have used their services.

I too like the current Motorcraft filter design & use it in all my Ford rides. It's a good value for the bucks spent.

If you have a UOA done, would be interesting to hear how it turns out.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:01 AM
rsylvstr
Postmaster
rsylvstr has a great reputation on FTE.rsylvstr has a great reputation on FTE.rsylvstr has a great reputation on FTE.rsylvstr has a great reputation on FTE.rsylvstr has a great reputation on FTE.
I'd run the MC filter with MC blend...5W-30 if your manual calls for it....after two OCI's, then get a UOA and post it.