Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

an alternative way to do IRS with Ford rear

Old 06-30-2007, 05:49 PM
rustfarmer
Junior User
rustfarmer is starting off with a positive reputation.
LM14,

I hope everything works out for you. Sounds tight. Should be killer when you are done though. Do you know the length and width of your 70 tank? The tank itself not counting the flanges. I have been considering using the Tbird rear since I can get one free. The setup I have now is a 4 link with 9" and airbags. The airbags were installed by the PO and have given me problems since day one. I removed the air bags couple of days ago and have been tossing around ideas of which route to take. I know the easiest route would be to keep the 4 link and add coilovers. But, i'm not known for taking the easy way out. So when you mention meltdown I can totally relate. Good luck with the install and keep us posted!!!!

Last edited by rustfarmer; 06-30-2007 at 05:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-30-2007, 08:00 PM
LM14
Senior User
LM14 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Flange to Flange the tank is 24-3/8" front to back x 32-5/8" wide.

All the flanges on my tank are 1-1/4" wide.

Makes the tank 21-7/8" x 30-1/8".

My tank came from Kentucky Mustang as a complete kit. Tank, filler hose, sender, nut and gaskets. Just showed up Friday and very happy with the piece. $109 plus freight.

SPark

Old 06-30-2007, 09:03 PM
rustfarmer
Junior User
rustfarmer is starting off with a positive reputation.
LM14,

Thanks for the help and info. You have been a great help. I look forward to seeing pics of your rear end install.

Best of luck,
rustfarmer

Old 07-01-2007, 05:51 PM
SCD
Senior User
SCD is starting off with a positive reputation.
LM14
Make sure that you take lots of pictures! We all want to learn from your installation.
Thanks
Scott

Old 07-01-2007, 09:10 PM
LM14
Senior User
Can You Say Marathon

My installation or my mistakes?!?!?

Seriously, it will be a month or so before we tackle it. We are planning on a 9 day marathon. IFS, IRS, power brakes, 20 gallon Mustang tank and an engine and trans swap in a week. Plan is to have everything ready to go and attacking it on a Friday night and driving it the next Sunday night, 9 days later. Parts pile is getting bigger, a few more pay checks and everything should be here and ready to go.

Hmmmm. Going from a stock driver to a modified driver in 9 days may be a bit much but we thrash on racecars all the time and sleep is over-rated anyway. My racing partner is heavy into wiring and plumbing so that's his end of this deal. What better way to spend a weeks vacation?

I promise to take a lot of pics and get them out here for everyone to see. Including the mistakes.

SPark

Old 07-25-2007, 03:12 PM
LM14
Senior User
Anyone know off the top of your head what you need to do to remove the hubs? After you take the rotors off, what size socket do you need and do you use a puller to get the hub off?

Going to take a set and get them redrilled but haven't started to take it apart yet, limited supply of metric sockets and going to have to beg/borrow/steal the one for the hub nut!

What style of puller do you need?

Thanks in advance,
SPark

Old 07-25-2007, 05:30 PM
daveheld
Junior User
daveheld is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't recall the socket / nut size - but I utilized a shop press to remove the hub from the spindle. I did not use a puller.

5 on 4 1/2" hub / bearings are available. I"m looking into a volume purchase with Ford to get these alternate bolt pattern hubs - is anyone interested in them if I were able to get them?

dave

http://www.truckIRS.com

Old 07-25-2007, 06:35 PM
SCD
Senior User
I might be interested if the price was right!
Scott

Old 07-25-2007, 06:54 PM
SCD
Senior User
LM14
Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you an article I found that might help.
Scott

Old 07-26-2007, 03:54 PM
LM14
Senior User
Originally Posted by daveheld
The hub / hub measurement is about 60 1/4"

I'd be happy to answer any other questions.
dave
truckIRS.com
Dave,
Are you sure on that rearend width? Mine measures closer to 62.75" from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface (rotors at hubs). Anyone else measured one?

Wondering if there are different widths out there.

SPark

Old 07-26-2007, 07:52 PM
daveheld
Junior User
track width - correction

track width...

Yes, you are correct - and my initial measurement was wrong... I have posted the following, corrected information on truckIRS.com

What is the track width of the T bird / Lincoln rear suspension?
I measured the hub - to - hub distance on a Lincoln IRS and found it to be - 63"

I also measured a T bird rear suspension with tires / wheels installed - The Outside / Outside tire measurement is about 66 1/2" ( using the factory T bird wheels / tires ).

The spec'd track width of the Lincoln Mark 8 is 1,529mm or 60.19" - but track width is a funny thing - since it is a measurement from the center to center of the tire... which is only useful if you have the tire and wheel ( especially offset ) info... which is usually not given... The only offset info I can find online indicates it is 38 - 40mm. With this in mind, the calculated hub-to-hub measurement is 63.25" which compares favorably with my measured 63"

I hope this eliminates any confusion I may have caused.
dave

Old 07-26-2007, 10:25 PM
LM14
Senior User
Appreciate it. Thought maybe I had the only 63"+/- wide T-Bird rearend in captivity! That's how my luck runs sometimes.

Looking at putting 15x8.5 wheels on the back with 3.75" back spacing and that would make the out to out width 1" narrower than the body is at the fender lips. Looks a bit tight and may have to back down to a 7" wheel with the same back spacing to get everything to fit. Wish your first numbers were right and things would have fit a lot better.

Thanks again,
SPark

Old 07-30-2007, 03:53 PM
daveheld
Junior User
I've posted a set of my IRS adapters for sale on eBay... If anyone has any suggestions / feedback regarding the ad, please let me know... also, any additional marketing ideas are welcome.

dave

Old 08-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Mr. N
Junior User
Mr. N is starting off with a positive reputation.
This sounds like a very interesting option. Does anyone know how the weight of the thunderbird/cougar/markVIII would compare to that of an F-100?
Also Mike do you have any pictures of the IFS from the cougar?

Old 08-04-2007, 06:23 PM
48 Steel
Elder User
48 Steel is a splendid one to behold48 Steel is a splendid one to behold48 Steel is a splendid one to behold48 Steel is a splendid one to behold48 Steel is a splendid one to behold48 Steel is a splendid one to behold48 Steel is a splendid one to behold48 Steel is a splendid one to behold
Just about finished with installing a 93 Mark VIII IRS. Not difficult to do but make sure you have good welds. I am using the mounting plates from 321 LLC. Dave Held has been great help. When I am done I will have Pics for my gallery. I am in the process of installing a 80 XJ6 for the front.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: an alternative way to do IRS with Ford rear

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.