Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

an alternative way to do IRS with Ford rear

Old 04-09-2007, 10:12 PM
oldbag
New User
oldbag is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sweet! How low are you looking to go?

Old 04-09-2007, 10:18 PM
twisted56
Freshman User
twisted56 is starting off with a positive reputation.
In my pics, I'm sitting as low as I can for right now. (pics with atv in front to push) It won't take much to changeif I decide to go lower.

I did change the bolt pattern to 5x4.5 to match the MII front. I had a machine shop do that.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:23 PM
oldbag
New User
oldbag is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ahhh. My front is lincoln Mark VIII so it all matches.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:26 PM
SCD
Senior User
SCD is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have been doing some research on what it would take to change the lug pattern from 5 on 4.25 to 5 on 4.5 to match the Mustang II front end. Apparently the 99 Cobra rear end has an axle that you could swap with the Tbird and it has the 5 on 4.5 pattern. That car has larger brakes that require other modifications to utilize the Mustang rotors. It seems like it would be easier and cheaper to have the Tbird axles re-drilled. That being the case, is there a brake rotor that is available that is configured the same as the Tbird but with the 5 on 4.5 lug pattern? If not, every time that you replace the rotors you would need to make a trip down to the machine shop. What are other people doing?
Scott

Old 05-10-2007, 08:18 PM
daveheld
Junior User
daveheld is starting off with a positive reputation.
I finally got around to posting the installation photos...

http://www.team321.com/InstallIRS/TE...RSInstall.html

Click the link above to see the details of a Ford IRS in a classic Ford Truck.
More details can be found at http://www.truckIRS.com

enjoy!
dave
Cocoa Beach, FL

Old 05-10-2007, 10:00 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
CIAF is starting off with a positive reputation.
very nice pictorial Dave. I think your kit will do for the hobby IRS what Mii did for the IFS. The costs are very reasonable. Lower total cost than a 4 bar kit perhaps. Jon

Old 05-11-2007, 05:29 AM
49willard
Postmaster
49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.
Dave, I like it! Looks like a reasonable effort required for the installation, much easier that the Jag installation. I expect that you will develop some customers. It is too late for my 49 but the next truck would be a candidate. Thanks for posting the pix.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:52 PM
SCD
Senior User
Nice article Dave! The truck ends up with a really nice ride height.
Scott

Old 05-12-2007, 10:47 AM
LM14
Senior User
LM14 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bought One Today

Got a low miles unit out of a '93 Supercoupe today for $175 complete. Should work well with the Fatman front end we are planning on our '57 big window.

Thanks for the pics and step by step. Really helped to make the decision. How much ride height leeway is there with your kit? Is there a good way to estimate the final ride height before doing the install?

Thanks,
SPark

Old 05-12-2007, 02:01 PM
daveheld
Junior User
The only way to set the exact ride height you want is to tack weld things in place and put the bed on and any additional weight you could think of...

The install instrux and photos posted show what I believe to be the "right" height for the rear. The reason I chose Mike Chesser to assist with the install and pictures is the vast amount of experience he has with these trucks. He has installed a wide variety of front and rear suspensions ranging from Camaro, Chevelle, Corvette, Mustang II, Custom 4 Link, etc...

We took measurements from a variety of his trucks and his customer's trucks to come up with the optimal ride height... The measurements posted are all associated with the eventual ride height shown.

Having said all that, there is about 2 inches of height adjustment that can be done once things are in place.

I hope this answers your questions... feel free to post any additional questions here or email me directly.

dave
Cocoa Beach FL
[email protected]

Old 05-14-2007, 09:05 AM
SCD
Senior User
Dave
How do you achieve the 2" of ride height adjustment?
Scott

Old 05-14-2007, 10:18 PM
daveheld
Junior User
By 2" of ride height adjustment, I meant that after the suspension is in place, set the lower control arm so that it is horizontal... Using airsprings will allow you to set the ride height at +1" or -1" ( meaning the lower control arm is pitched slightly up or pitched slightly down). This setting of +/-1" does not adversely affect the suspension geometry throughout it's full up / down travel range.

I hope this explains things... I should have clarified that in the recent post - thanks SCD for posing the question.

dave
http://www.truckIRS.com

Old 05-16-2007, 02:50 PM
SCD
Senior User
Dave
Is truck that you did the Tbird IRS install article on drivable? I was wondering what the resulting ride and handling is like. Has anyone else put one of these on the road?
Thanks
Scott

Old 05-16-2007, 04:54 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
LEckart is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dave-

Very good documentation for the installation of your kit. It will really help those wanting an IRS. Hope you sell some at the SuperNats.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:55 PM
daveheld
Junior User
thanks for the compliments... I won't be making it to the SuperNats.

... and no, the truck is undergoing a significant restoration / rebuild so it is not driveable yet.

As far as the ride quaility, since the suspension is out of a Tbird / Lincoln, the ride is more like a car than a truck.

dave
http://www.truckIRS.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: an alternative way to do IRS with Ford rear

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.