Sponsored by:

Body Lift vs. Suspension Lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 04:46 PM
gruveb
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the benefits of one of the other. In particular, which is safest, which is more durable and which is most difficult to install?

Old 11-09-2002, 06:16 PM
bronco cam
Senior User

Go with the suspension lift. Your not only raising the whole truck, not just the body, but you also ,depending on the lift kit you buy , will be adding flex and strength. Body lifts are ugly, expecialy on a bronco. They are less expensive but I would not have one if it was giving to me. This is just my opinion but take a look at trucks with suspension lifts and trucks with body lifts and you will see the difference.

Old 11-09-2002, 08:08 PM
str8six
Junior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 09-Nov-02 AT 09:10 PM (EST)]On my 87 xlt, I went w/ the 3 inch B/L to fit 35 inch tires as my truck is my secondary vehical and I wanted the most cost efficient way to clear the tires. Works fine, no rubbing, no complaints. Bumpers level and everything (steering, shifter) works as normal. Regarding the susp lifts, I have heard that susp lifts installed dont actually lift the truck the *actual* claimed amount. Is this true? Have heard quite a few occasions where the susp lifts were not a level 4 or 6 inches and the finished project left the truck looking obsurdly uneven. I know that Bronc's have the factory drop in height in the front, but I have heard some unusually odd occasions with folks having issues with susp lifts making the truck look quite odd and uneven in height. Hoping not, as even though I am happy with the B/L, in a few months I will be looking to also do a 6 inch susp lift on top of the B/L, just for some major height.

Old 11-09-2002, 08:22 PM
bronco cam
Senior User

You will not have any of these problems if your lift is installed correctly. The problems I think start to happen when people cut corners or use parts from different lifts to lift ther truck I know a guy who used three quarter ton truck springs from a junkyard and some trailmaster parts he bought from another guy to lift his f150 4 inches. It worked but it still did not look quite right. Did you have your bumpers lifted with your body lift? How much did that cost?the rear bumper already sits to low showing a gap on a stock bronco. I would like to lift the bumper but do not know if that is possible and still be able to open my back end.

Old 11-09-2002, 09:57 PM
gruveb
Junior User

OK. So far the benefit of body lift is cost, but what you get for 10 times the cost in a suspension lift is actually improving the ride and performance of the vehicle? I figure that my Bronco is almost 20 years old and probably needs some sprucing up anyhow.

Feeding my 9 mile a gallon habit.

Old 11-10-2002, 12:06 AM
spixican07
Senior User

Dunno, you can't really compare the two. Its like comparing <insert cliche here>. One does nothing for your vehicle but allows you to put larger tires, while the other provides multiple benefits. Body lifts are easy (relative to suspension lifts) to install, and are cheaper, but are ugly (in my opinion) and less safe (those columns holding the body higher are longer than factory - increase the lever arm, you increase the torque acting on that arm.). Suspension lifts aren't all that expensive, really. A rancho 4" kit installed and everything will cost you about $1300. May seem like a lot, but its not all that much considering the improvement in handling, the neater look (you get shiny red springs!!) and the added off-road benefits of pulling that stupid transfer case skid plate up higher so it doesn't bury itself in the mud. I would definitely recommend saving money and getting a suspension lift. The way I see it, putting a body lift on is kinda doing it half-way. And if you're going to do something, you may as well do it right.

Old 11-10-2002, 02:17 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ditto to all the support for suspension lifts over body lifts. Suspension lifts strengthen and lengthen the equipment holding the truck up (for the most part the springs). Body lifts stretch brake lines, steering column angles, and fuel filler pipe in some cases. There is nothing strengthened by adding a body lift. You are pushing the body away from the frame which inherently weakens the bond between the two. There is more sheer (side-to-side) pressure on the LONGER bolts that need to hold the body to the frame. This is a simple case of "The taller they are the harder they fall". Keep the body and frame close and push the axles away from the truck. Sure with a body lift you can get bigger tires, but with the suspension lift you get that AND better ground clearance, suspension travel and often (depending on the lift and springs you buy) increased load capacity and better handling.

After lifting my '92 XLT 4" with a kit and all new springs from Tough Country, I removed both front and rear sway bars and the handling is still BETTER than it was WITH the sway bars at the factory height.

1992 XLT
4" Tough Country EZ-ride
33x12.50 BFG A/T's on Mickey Thompson 15x10 Challengers

Old 11-10-2002, 06:16 PM
gruveb
Junior User

Suspension lift is the way to go? So get the system, not just the kit right? The system has the rear springs, not just risers?

Feeding my 9 mile a gallon habit.

Old 11-11-2002, 07:27 PM
redstrokeman
New User

not only will the suspension "system" come with the rear leaf springs it also comes with the extended radius arms (with the pro comp kit) they are 15 inches longer but make the truck handle better then it would at stock height, it really makes a difference, if you are goin to lift it go all out, you wont reget it

garrett
96 f250 powerstroke
6 inch lift, 36 swampers

Old 11-11-2002, 07:53 PM
gruveb
Junior User