Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I need some help for a fellow Greaser.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Hotwheelbill
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need some help for a fellow Greaser.

This is the post of the problem he is having. I can not think of what this could be.
:::Help this is driving me nuts and I am running out of money.
First of all I have the Greasecar set up in my 2000 Ford F-250, for over a year and 30000 miles everything is great with it.
The problem that I am having is on the diesel side of the set up.
The truck starts fine on diesel and seems to run fine when cold ( not up to op. temp).
When it gets warmed up the idle goes nuts 300 to 1100 rpm.
kind of like it is starving for fuel.
when I switch to grease it runs like the day I bought it.
Things that I have done so far.
Took it in to a guy ($1400) and told me that he really didn't know what was wrong.
Things he did
1) changed out the computer
2) dropped the diesel fuel tank to clean the pickup screen
3) vacume checked all fuel lines
4) checked for some loose wire (never found)
5) after 2 weeks took it to a dealer
6) dealer changed some senser didn't help
7) dealer wants to change high pressure oil pump for $1000 they think that will fix it
told them I would hold off until I got another opion
8) I run the grease tank empty and put in 15 gallons of diesel thinking it was some thing with fuel lines in my diesel tank.
and I got the same thing idle 300-1000 rpm.
Any help would be great, I have been running like this for 4 months and would really like to fix it

Thanks Frank Stahl

I will post the FTE web site on the other web site to let him watch for an answer........and maybe he will join as well.
Thanks for the help.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Frank Stahl
Junior User
Thanks Hotwheelbill,
I love this site.
I hope someone can help me.

Frank

Old 02-15-2007, 05:50 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. HPOP has nothing to do with it, if it would be it it would run like that on both fuels,
2. maybe your fuel filter is cloged? was it changed?
3. where do you live, maybe you have fuel geling problem, how cold is up there ?
4. running any tuners programmers?

im sure more guys will kick in

Peter

Old 02-15-2007, 05:57 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 778 Likes on 594 Posts
No mention of a new fuel filter.....

Old 02-16-2007, 01:53 PM
Frank Stahl
Junior User
I live i wisconsin, cold but it was doing this in october 70 degrees. changed the filters.
running a supertunner, put it back to stock setting and still did it.

Thanks frank

Old 02-16-2007, 03:29 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Fuel pump?

Old 02-16-2007, 03:29 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What sensor did the stealer change? ICP, TPS, IVS

Old 02-16-2007, 04:00 PM
Fordbronco69
Infidel

Maybe a vavle sticks when it warms up? Possible CPS problem.

Btw where in WI are you?

Old 02-16-2007, 04:08 PM
ponch37300
Elder User
Where in Wisconsin do you live? I live in Appleton. Does it throw any codes when the idle goes nuts? I would think it would be something in the fuel system if it runs good when you switch to grease. I have autoenginuity if that would be able to help you at all. Let me know if i can help at all.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:16 PM
CanadaGuy
Elder User
Not long ago I had a concern very similar to your running concern, but it also had fuel in the coolant. I removed all the injectors so I could find which cup was cracked, at the same time I put all new O-rings on all 8 injectors (as well as replacing one cracked cup). I don't know if the cup or the O-rings fixed the running concern, but one of them did.

Originally Posted by amiller93
What sensor did the stealer change? ICP, TPS, IVS
Oh how I hate it when people call my place of work a "stealer".

Old 02-18-2007, 07:31 PM
Frank Stahl
Junior User
I am not sure what sensor the dealer replaced because the guy that took it to the dealer, is the guy that i took it to first and he could not figure it out.
I guess that I could try to call him and maybe he would remember.
Ponch I live in Germantown about 20 mile north of Milwaukee, I go threw Appelton every weekend when I go up north.
What is autoengineuty?
Do you think that you can help
Monday after work I am going to change the oil, I run rotellat 10w 30. but last time I put in 15w 30 .
not sure if this is going to help but I am do for a oil change.
not sure if I posted this, but I drained the grease out of the grease tank and put in diesel fuel.
I got the same results 300 - 1000 rpm.
The grease uses the same pump as the deisel so I think that it is not in the fuel system????
I will try to post the fuel diagram for the greasecar conversion kit.

ok, not sure how to do that but I can e-mail it to you if you want me to just give me an address.

Thanks for the help Frank

Old 02-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Frank Stahl
Junior User
help please

Frank

Old 02-20-2007, 08:02 PM
FN74
Elder User
Frank- Just got turned onto your problem, and it sounds familiar. I have to ask though, Does it seem to run fine off idle? If so, First off, it is not a fuel supply problem. These trucks will idle normally at virtually 0 psi. What it sounds like is you got some bad oil, or bad filtering. I have seen this happen to a couple customers, and myself just recently. What happens is some restaraunts pour their grill cleaner into their oil bin. And a lot of places use Basically pure sodium Hydroxide(lye) and water mix. the reaction of LYE and oil is a whole other conversation. This will eat the steel of the injectors, and basicaly etch them so that the internal clearances on plunger is not what it used to be, allowing fuel to bypass back into the fuel rail each time it attempts to inject, playing havoc on fuel rail pressure. So in a nutshell, an internal leakage issue with the injector. The reason it is fine on oil is because the extra viscosity of the WVO greatly reduces the internal leakage on the injectors allowing it actually run pretty much normal until the injectors are completely shot.

There are a few ways to test for this. One is to hook up a fuel pressure gage to your fuel rail. I am not familiar with the Greasecar setup, but you want to be able to see both WVO and diesel pressure. When on diesel, stab the gas and note if the pressure spikes to over a 100. Normal fuel pressure should be between 60-70 OEM. Then repeat when on oil. If it spikes on diesel, but not on oil, then that is pretty telling. Another way to tell, is to lower your stock fuel pressure to about 10-15 at an idle if possible, and see if your idle improves. Hate to tell you that your injectors are shot, but it sure sounds like it.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:38 AM
Mach1
Senior User
Yep, put a fuel pressure gauge on it, or look at the fuel system real close, for blockages, filter clogs, lines ate up. etc.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:45 AM
MTDewX
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also run Greeze on my 2000 F-350 and aside from running better on oil cause the low sulfer fuel knocks. I have a totally Separate system for my oil. seperate pump and all. the only place I have diesel oil mixing is in the rails on the block.
you say it runs fine on oil but not diesel. so I assume you already have the oil warm before it gets to your pump due to viscosity not familiar with the Greesecar set up, but the preasure might be an issure, but not as much as my system. if you are using the same pump for both. which means you are running it through the regular fuel filter. and being the oil is warm, diesel is not, that might affect a few things. just throwing from the hip. I have a separate filter and pump for the oil. so if some thing goese wrong I just go back to diesel. sorry I am not much help, but I wish you luck.

if it does run good on oil. I would think your injectors or ok. but that is just my opinion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I need some help for a fellow Greaser.