1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

tie rod ends

Old 02-18-2007, 09:08 AM
65fordrat
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tie rod ends

hey guys iam new here and have a few questions

i am trying to fix a 65 ford f100 shortbed 2wd, the steering is soo loose you cant keep it between the lines!

i am having touble tracking down tie rod ends for both sides, and any other parts that might help me get the truck tight again

can yall point me in the right direction?

thanks!!

Old 02-18-2007, 09:25 AM
airharley
Postmaster
Welcome to the board. You have stopped in the right place, I can tell you that. If you go to rockauto.com they carry pretty much everything you need for the tierod ends, adjuster sleeves, drag link, king pins, radius arm bushings and so on. However, if you search the website you will find that you can do a power steering swap as well if you don't enjoy the morning back and arm workout. It's as easy as bolting it in in place of the manual box.
Now part of the reason you may have issues staying between the lines is that the radius arm bushings are also shot. The radius arms extend back from the I-beams and connect to the frame. I know from personal experiance in my once owned '69 that they will have you constrantly steering back and forth to drive in a straight line. So take a look at these before you drop a few hundred dollars in tie rods and so on. You may be able to get away with $30 to stop the insanity. Replacing the other parts is a good idea but lets first find the major problem before shot gunning parts at it.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:58 AM
Pro-Street/StateTK
Posting Guru
65fordrat

Welcome to (FTE)!

You may want to look at '' Articles/ Specs '' at the top of the page, there is a
tech article if you get to thinking about swapping to 73-79 disc brakes you may
want to get 73-79 tie rods! (notice that you have to grind if you keep the 65
tie rods) Heres the link!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...rd_Trucks.html

Wally Womack

Last edited by Pro-Street/StateTK; 02-18-2007 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:08 AM
redf1001962
Freshman User
LMC truck also has many parts you might need. Also welcome. There is some much info and knowledge here it will scare you.

Search this Thread