2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best aftermarket exhaust for our F150's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 12:05 AM
INFLUENCER
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best aftermarket exhaust for our F150's?

I would like to get a nice little rumble when I step on the gas, but nothing super loud and crazy, what is a good exhaust mod for me to get? And what am I looking to spend? Thanks...FLU

Old 02-14-2007, 07:00 AM
rods07supcrw
Junior User
exhaust mod

Influencer,
Although I have not done the deed I like the magnaflow systems....Stainless...3" cat back...or if you want to keep the costs down a magnaflow muffler...where the OEM one is. knowing how restrictive it is,it should be done along with somebodies cold air intake....sort of wake these things up a bit. That is what I did to my 99 Expe and it was a difference...sound /power/ fuel economy....course we didn' tbuy one of these things for economy....however my mileage from stock Expe went up to average 15 around town after the mods....."Your Mileage May Differ" 4.6 motor.73k and still going strong....
Good luck in your effort....I still want to get me a cover for the back...paragon is what I like......
Since I am sort of new here does any group or is there an area where we could put together a "group buy". One of the motorcycle forums I am suscribbed to gets together and approaches a vendor with sometimes as many as 15-20 wanting to do an upgrade and some companies do offer a substantial discount....is that available anywhere on this site or affiliates?

Rod

Old 02-14-2007, 07:07 AM
WWOODDYY74
New User
I use to be a die hard flowmaster guy! Until I bought a used truck with a magnaflow! So, each vehicle that I will own from here on out will have a Mangnaflow! The price you just can't beat! But, this is just a debate that is going to end in dismay! Bassani, Borla, you name it are all good exhausts systems in my opinion, but I just can't see plopping down almost a grand on them! Go to your local muffler shop and they should be able to hook you up with a good system and price. Just my $.02

Woody

Old 02-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Cavtrooper06
Senior User
This is definitely a searchable topic because everyone has their preferences. After I got my truck I put a Flowmaster 50 series on it and thought I had a good system. After doing a more throrough search on this site and reading posts by Bob Jusnes I began to change my mind, and eventually bought a Magnaflow DI/DO muffler. I went to a custom shop and had true duals put on. Now I know I have a good system, and it seems that I've gained some power or regained some power and the sound is deep, mellow, and little to no interior noise. Its not obnoxious at start-up or idle, and tends to be quiet at acceleration. Under hard acceleration it'll wake up the neighborhood and sound bitchin. Cost for the muffler was $105 and I paid another $200 to have it installed. Add stainless steel tips and your looking at $350 - $400. Comparable price to a bolt on system but great pricing for a custom system.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Doogie S
Senior User
INFLUENCER,

I just (yesterday) bought the latest Banks Monster Exhaust (split duals) for my truck. Magnaflow had a bit better pricing, about $100 less, but from what I read, the Banks won me over.

I guess I was never one to follow a trend and go for the cheapest or most popular choice, but Banks has a proven track record in the diesel market and the reviews and articles I have read on the quality of the Banks products made me think hard about my choice.

I guess I'll know how good of a choice I made once I get it installed and hear how it sounds.

Like you, I wanted something relatively quiet until I step in it, which exactly what Banks is promising, however there is definitely a lot of choices in the exhaust marketplace for our trucks.

Doug

Old 02-14-2007, 12:40 PM
ISurvivedNMU
Junior User
MBRP makes a real nice set of "cool duals" that are resonably priced........

http://www.mbrp.com/productpop.php?S5204304

http://www.mbrp.com/main.php?products

Last edited by ISurvivedNMU; 02-14-2007 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:53 PM
cjk2001
New User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by INFLUENCER
I would like to get a nice little rumble when I step on the gas, but nothing super loud and crazy, what is a good exhaust mod for me to get? And what am I looking to spend? Thanks...FLU
I just had a dual exhaust system put on my 2004 scab fx4 at a local shop. It sounds just great man. He put on a flowmaster muffler and it is a real nice low rumble with an idle or normal driving with minimal cab drone. THEN, when you hammer the bitch she roars and will let everyone know she means business. This cost me $250 total, out the door. Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:37 PM
jokerjeff
Freshman User
I just recently put the flowmaster 40 on my 06 screw and love the tone. I did not want it too loud as I didn't want the drone. It sounds great at idle and has a good rumble thru the 3500 rpm range. Good luck, just my .02.....

Old 02-14-2007, 03:03 PM
airborne89
New User
I'm saving up for the Roush system from a local Ford dealer. It's just a Borla system sold by Roush but heard it on another truck and sounds nice. Not to mention the dealer is going to cover it with a full warranty like the truck 3/36. Going to do the Roush intake at the same time. More expensive then the Flow's or Magna but I have a friend that has the Flow's and it seems like he has more interior drone now then when he had them installed a couple years back. Also the Roush/Borla is a full stainless system and I plan on keeping the truck. Also just my 2 cents.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:57 PM
DASTUD
Elder User
IMO, Magnaflow is the way to go. If you do not want the SIDO, go with what I went with, the Magnaflow SISO part #16612 (i think) It sounds awesome when you get on it, and quite when cruzin'.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:04 PM
INFLUENCER
Senior User
Thanks alot for the tips fellas, I'm sure that will be my next purchase. My BAKflip is on the way. Then after that a JL stealthbox, after that a.....

Old 02-14-2007, 05:34 PM
baitmaster
Posting Guru
I just had the Magnaflow SIDO put on my 5.4. Cant hear it at idle, or on the highway from inside the truck, but from a stoplight, it sounds great. From what I've seen and heard, the Flow's are a touch louder and not as smooth sounding as the Mag's. I have dual Flow's on my '72 390, and you have to speak up if you are talking to someone at the back of the truck at idle. Let me put it this way, at work I would set off 5-6 car alarms with the '72 in the parking garage, and with the '05, maybe one. I have neighbors that used my 390 mufflers as an alarm clock that would tell them it was time to get up. Now they oversleep.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:13 PM
dustykingranch
New User
Just had the Magnaflow SISO installed on my truck yesterday (06 SCREW w5.4) Love the low rumble when I crank the engine and when I step on it away from a stop light. Not too much drone in the cab either. I have $450 total in mine (ordered it from an internet dealer for 415 and paid $35 to have it installed.)

Old 02-15-2007, 10:46 AM
joeypurcell
Senior User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by INFLUENCER
Thanks alot for the tips fellas, I'm sure that will be my next purchase. My BAKflip is on the way. Then after that a JL stealthbox, after that a.....
IMHO the Magnaflow muffler gives the best tone for these 5.4's. Enjoy your Bakflip, I love mine.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:52 PM
VFR_Man
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking at the Borla website, I don't care for the way it looks like both tubes out of the muffler cross straight back over the axle and then the driver side angles back to the side and hangs fairly low behind the differential. Ugly.

The Magnaflow and Banks look like the drivers side starts angling over right out of the muffer and crosses the axle to the drivers side of the differential. Much cleaner looking and keeps it out of harm's way better.

Can anybody with first hand experience comment whether I'm seeing this accurately?

Quick Reply: Best aftermarket exhaust for our F150's?