6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

#1 Fuel Only When below 0 degrees F? GELLING?Anyone Else? HELP!!

Old 02-13-2007, 09:26 PM
06or6.0 Puke
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool #1 Fuel Only When below 0 degrees F? GELLING?Anyone Else? HELP!!

After having my 06, 6.0 pulled into the shop three times in one week. The tech put 15 gallons of #1 fuel in it with Ford additive to make it run. They told me no #2 in it in cold weather. They wouldn't tell me if that was Ford Recommendation or Vodoo solution to the problem. Although I know the owner of the place where I was getting fuel as well, he stuck it in his deep freeze to -25 F, and it showed no signs of gelling. It was "arctic" diesel rated to -40F. I was even running additive in it and had the problem. Total run time of 20 minutes including idle, die, may start back up in 2-10 minutes then dies again. They threw a fuel pump at it, and then the third time it was towed in put #1 in, and it's ran since in temps down to -29 F. Told me everytime it was Gelling, then why would it resart right away.

Could this be an injector problem, they pulled the filters the first time and said they looked good.

Oh yeah, only 7,500 miles on truck, on not very impressed, or a very happy camper......I want my 7.3 back now!!

Anyone else having similar problems. I think the #1 Fuel ONLY IS A TOTAL CROCK, AND A BIG BANDAID!!!

Thanks for the HELP guys.

Last edited by 06or6.0 Puke; 02-13-2007 at 09:30 PM. Reason: More in Title
Old 02-13-2007, 10:29 PM
cudajim
Senior User
Where are you, Alaska? I would buy a heater and keep the truck plugged in. Someone told me there is a heater in the tank too.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:34 AM
origcharger
Posting Guru
We are running 55% blend of #1 in ours with no additives and not having any trouble, its 10 below here this morning. If I was you I would try a differant fuel supplier.
My experiance has been that just becuase it doesn't turn to Jello in the deep freeze it doesn't mean it will pass through your filters without clogging them.
I also would not be to quick to blame the 6.0 for the issue but rather the change over to ULSD, I seem to remember issues during the first winter after the switch to LSD also.

Last edited by origcharger; 02-14-2007 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:48 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,371 Likes on 2,076 Posts
This ought to be a good one....

You contradict yourself with every statement

The filters look fine with no signs of paraffin?
I want my 7.3 back? What does this have to do with poor service or bad fuel?
Why would you throw a fuel pump at it? Did anyone with a second grade level of education use the test port and check the fuel pressure?

We are here to help, now with this being your first post I am skeptical of the out come...

Old 02-14-2007, 07:51 AM
06or6.0 Puke
New User
Wink

Yes, I did have it plugged in every time it happened all night long. So if there is a heater in the tank, it doesn't seem to matter.

On the 55% #1 mix, are you running any additives in the fuel? Maybe a 1 / 2 mix is the key. I'm gonna try some different fuel, since I asked a guy what he was running in an 2007 without problems. I'll try Holiday fuel next, but it probably won't matter as it looks like it's gonna warm up this weekend.

No, I'm not in Alaska, in northern MN. It's been above 5 degrees once in the last 2 1/2 weeks.

Is the ULSD actually out yet, the people here in town were not able to get it on the turnover date back in October. Don't know if it's a ULSD problem, or a percentage of bio diesel problem. It's seems there are more problems this year with gelling than in the past generally overall.

Don't get me wrong I love the 6.0 motor, but it's ridiculous that the thing won't run on anything but #1 when it's below 0 degrees F. My 7.3 ran on anything, never gelled once, I purposely did not buy a 2003 6.0 when they came out, and was thankful when I did. I thought ford would have everything straightened out by now, but here we are nearly 4 years later and they're still re-flashing programs in these trucks.

Thanks for the info.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:54 AM
06or6.0 Puke
New User
Yes, they did put a pressure gauge on, it lost pressure once. Hence they replaced the fuel pump. Like I said previously, it has to be at or below 0 before it acts up. Could the FCM heater be out on it??

I'm not contradicting myself, this is all from the Dealer. Thinkin I should bring it somewhere else. Basically I feel they said we can't find it so let's try straight #1 in it, and now it runs.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:09 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 06or6.0 Puke

Don't get me wrong I love the 6.0 motor, but it's ridiculous that the thing won't run on anything but #1 when it's below 0 degrees F. My 7.3 ran on anything, never gelled once, I purposely did not buy a 2003 6.0 when they came out, and was thankful when I did. I thought ford would have everything straightened out by now, but here we are nearly 4 years later and they're still re-flashing programs in these trucks.
Regarding this statement: It does nothing for your problem. You can have trouble with anything. Move on to a qualified dealer or live with it.

As to flashes. In the old days your mechanic climbed under the hood with a screw driver and adjusted the carburetor on your gas engine. A flash...is an adjustment. You hate what you do not understand ...so educate yourself. With that said do allot of reading and welcome to FTE.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:15 AM
juniorf350
Senior User
i would run from that dealer there is no need to run #1 at these temps.
holiday runs artic from dec-march witch is good to -30. thats all you need.

ulsd has been here since june.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
I don't see the colder temps here in Ohio that most guys are used to but I in my personal opinion would start using a #1 blend if temps reached -15 in my area. I have older diesels and turning fuel to jello is no fun. Been there done that.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:40 AM
06or6.0 Puke
New User
Maxium -

Would it help if I told you I was always able to re-start the engine within 2 to 30 minutes after the first occurance (without bringing the vehichle in to warm up), however it would usually only run a short distance again. Is this gelling, some guys say yes, some say no.

Maxium - Here in Minnesota they put blend or winterized #2 (additive added at refinery) in most pumps about the middle of October to Nov. 1st. Holiday actually lists what their fuel is rated at all winter long. Do they do that in Ohio?

Junior - You've had success with Holiday fuel in the last couple weeks..in a 6.0?? That's my next try. Doesn't say what your vehicle is, that's why I ask.

Thanks again, looks like first I'll try different fuel, (at least I can get Holiday fuel about everywhere). Secondly take it to a different dealer.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:13 AM
ridehard
New User
I live in MN. and have had trouble with fuel jelling once, "not fun" I keep my 2003 6.0 plugged in when its cold. The 6.0 I have runs great- I dont blame ford or think the 6.0 is a problem- It's a fuel/cold issue. I know all makes of diesels have had the same types of issues. I put diesel kleen in when I fill up, about every other tank or so "white bottle" and it's good to go. I also know that some aftermarket fuel filters are not very good, theres postings on this and they reccomend which ones work best- you will learn a ton about your truck on this site if you study the forums- These guys are really helpfull and know what they are talking about for the most part. Good luck with the truck!

Old 02-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ridehard
I also know that some aftermarket fuel filters are not very good, theres postings on this and they reccomend which ones work best- you will learn a ton about your truck on this site if you study the forums
Never thought about asking which brand of fuel filter he was using. If Ford/Motorcraft or Racor or Int'l then great... but if WIX or some other "will-fit" that could be the problem????? There is a difference... and if your using a non-OEm filter let me know and I will be glad to explain... but if your using a Motorcraft or the dealer replaced it for you.. then never mind.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator

Is this gelling, some guys say yes, some say no.

Maxium - Here in Minnesota they put blend or winterized #2 (additive added at refinery) in most pumps about the middle of October to Nov. 1st. Holiday actually lists what their fuel is rated at all winter long. Do they do that in Ohio?
Paraffin is a lubricant in diesel fuel that solidifies in cold temperatures plugging your fuel filters. You can physically see your plugged filter...no guess work to it.

I use BP fuel and it is a winter blend here in Ohio....but in extreme temps I would still cut it 50/50 with #1 or K1 to keep from jelling in equipment. Use plenty of fuel conditioner.

Last edited by Maxium4x4; 02-14-2007 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:51 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
After having my 06, 6.0 pulled into the shop three times in one week. The tech put 15 gallons of #1 fuel in it with Ford additive to make it run. They told me no #2 in it in cold weather. They wouldn't tell me if that was Ford Recommendation or Vodoo solution to the problem. Although I know the owner of the place where I was getting fuel as well, he stuck it in his deep freeze to -25 F, and it showed no signs of gelling. It was "arctic" diesel rated to -40F. I was even running additive in it and had the problem. Total run time of 20 minutes including idle, die, may start back up in 2-10 minutes then dies again. They threw a fuel pump at it, and then the third time it was towed in put #1 in, and it's ran since in temps down to -29 F. Told me everytime it was Gelling, then why would it resart right away.

Could this be an injector problem, they pulled the filters the first time and said they looked good.

Oh yeah, only 7,500 miles on truck, on not very impressed, or a very happy camper......I want my 7.3 back now!!

Anyone else having similar problems. I think the #1 Fuel ONLY IS A TOTAL CROCK, AND A BIG BANDAID!!!

Thanks for the HELP guys.

Find another dealer.
They pulled the filters and they looked good. So why would they think it was gelled fuel ?

Gelled Fuel will make the filters ugly.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:37 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Been a -15 here in Michigan. I've had no problems with fuel. Wondering though... What weight engine oil are you using? I went with a 10W30 for winter which helped a lot with starting. The 15W40 is too heavy and the ford manual says not to use it below I believe 30 deg unless towing. Since it is motor oil pressure which help fires the injectors. If low pressure they won't fire.

Last edited by bigredtruckmi; 02-14-2007 at 04:39 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: #1 Fuel Only When below 0 degrees F? GELLING?Anyone Else? HELP!!