Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Remind me why I like Ford...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 11:36 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by afreemanmd
Haha... Thats a scary thought about the 6.4 recall already. We're not even in the model year yet lol...

Its interesting to note that the whole powerstroke line was actually based off a design for a gasoline-powered V8 from International Harvester. lol

But, what I think is funny is that ford was bragging about how they put like a million test miles on the 08's.

What they don't tell you is that that million miles was spread out over a BUNCH of trucks... I'd bet they never put more than 30000 (MAYBE that much) on any particular truck.

I'd like to see Ford put a couple of hundred thousand miles on EACH of a few trucks, and then see how they look for the publicity stills

I really hope ford gets their act together soon, because its not looking good :/

Isaac

FYI, PSD's were NEVER based on gasoline motors.

The 6.9 IDI and later 7.3IDI did have their roots in a gasser.

The 7.3 PSD and 7.3 IDI are NOT related.

(Nor are the 6.0 or 6.4 PSD's related at all to the 7.3 PSD)

Old 03-22-2007, 11:44 PM
afreemanmd
Elder User
ok, my bad. I just read that on an online encyclopedia (i have no firsthand knlowledge one way or the other)

Here is the article:

"introduced in 1995, the Power Stroke is a family of turbodiesel truck engines used in Ford F-Series trucks, the Ford Econoline van, the Ford LCF commercial truck, and the Ford Excursion SUV. The Power Stroke is manufactured by Navistar International Corporation (International Truck and Engine Corporation) and is based on a design for a gasoline-powered V8 from International Harvester. Four different engines have been made based on this original design, the 420 in³ (6.9 L), 445 in³ (7.3 L), 6 L (5,954 cc), and 6.4 L; the last three have used the Power Stroke name. These engines are built in Indianapolis, Indiana and Huntsville, Alabama."

Sorry bout that. Thanks for the correction. Now I get to feel stupid for trusting the internet haha

Isaac

Old 03-22-2007, 11:52 PM
TimHolt
New User
I have been reading one news story to another and the numbers are conflicting. But it seems to have a consistant 37,400 which should be the total number of trucks produced (maybe because Navistar stopped delivery of the 6.4 because of non payment?) 8400 sold and the remaining 29000 held from sale and demo. Somehow to me that doesnt totally add up either. All I know is that I know a few guys that are gonna have a fit. One of which just traded in his 04 F350 loaded to the hilt problem child. Only to get a recall just a few days later? I think he is going to be the next Dodge owner in a couple of weeks. The other traded in his 04 Dodge that was perfect. I just cant stand to see these guys tomorrow. I talked them into these trucks.

The guys at "The Diesel Stop" are fit to be tied over there. Some have just been notified that their truck was finished from production but are now held in storage untill further notice? How long does it take to fill an order anyway. One says he has been waiting on his since 12-30-06 when he placed the order.

I know my guys didnt order theirs, just went to the local Ford dealer and bought them, MONDAY! They apparently JUST missed the hold order on deliveries.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:52 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
ok, my bad. I just read that on an online encyclopedia (i have no firsthand knlowledge one way or the other)

Here is the article:

"introduced in 1995, the Power Stroke is a family of turbodiesel truck engines used in Ford F-Series trucks, the Ford Econoline van, the Ford LCF commercial truck, and the Ford Excursion SUV. The Power Stroke is manufactured by Navistar International Corporation (International Truck and Engine Corporation) and is based on a design for a gasoline-powered V8 from International Harvester. Four different engines have been made based on this original design, the 420 in³ (6.9 L), 445 in³ (7.3 L), 6 L (5,954 cc), and 6.4 L; the last three have used the Power Stroke name. These engines are built in Indianapolis, Indiana and Huntsville, Alabama."

Sorry bout that. Thanks for the correction. Now I get to feel stupid for trusting the internet haha

Isaac

No problem. For years I quoted a Navistar site that said the PSD was from the ground up diesel......so when people would say the Ford diesels were converted gassers, I'd link that site.

Then an FTE member (Cleatus12R) set my **** straight with the info I gave you..........

Old 03-23-2007, 04:59 AM
93RangerXL4x2
Elder User
Ford needs a new Engine. theres gotta be something better than International.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:38 PM
FRECSF
Senior User
A friend of mine told me that his boss just bought a SD with the 6.4 and already had to bring it back for a turbo problem and they told him the cab had to be lifted to work on the back turbo.

No joke, had to lift the whole cab to work on the back turbo.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:44 PM
93RangerXL4x2
Elder User
Dump Navistar, get a real motor liek a Cat. something gotta happen cause thsi is a joke work a deal with sombody, Volvo motor? I see lots of big Volvo Jugauarnauts.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:57 PM
afreemanmd
Elder User
does CAT even make a 3/4 - 1 ton engine that would even close to fit in a SD? But jeez that would be nice to open the hood and see a nice, yellow block.

With all of this bad publicity and the SD line being Ford's bread and butter, is Ford doing as bad as it seems to be doing? I certainly hope not, but if ford doesn't shut up, stop making excuses, and shape up, we may be down to the Big 2 US automakers. Is that even possible? Could Ford actually go under, or are they not quite that dire yet?

**totally random stuff that I felt like posting**

I haven't heard it myself, but it seems that the 6.4 is eerily quiet. What happened to the clanky rumble and soot and stink of the older diesels?. Heck, I think thats half of the reason people buy 'em. I know is a big reason I like 'em. (besides the efficiency and low end grunt)

But speaking of turbo diesels, I was driving behind an Excursion with a 6.0 yesterday in stop and go traffic. HOLY CRAP! I've heard turbo whine before, but that thing sounded like a fighter jet! At first I though it was, but then at the next light i realized it was the X. Just thought that was interesting. Is that just an aftermarket exhaust to sound like that? Personally, I like the low end rumble more than the crazy loud turbo whine (although both in moderation is best)... but thats just my opinion

Isaac

Old 03-26-2007, 10:07 PM
seftonm
Senior User
I've heard a few 6.0 turbos from a block away that but most don't have the huge whine. I'm guessing there was either a problem with them or they do that when cold.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:13 PM
afreemanmd
Elder User
Originally Posted by seftonm
I've heard a few 6.0 turbos from a block away that but most don't have the huge whine. I'm guessing there was either a problem with them or they do that when cold.
yeah, there must have been a problem becuase that was ridiculous. Ive heard other 6.0's but not like that. Especially on an X, which is (often) a family vehicle, that would prolly get really old with the wife (unless you find a real keeper who likes that kind of thing )

Isaac

Old 03-26-2007, 11:53 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by FRECSF
No joke, had to lift the whole cab to work on the back turbo.
Most Super Duties you have to do that - pretty darn easy to do it too...

Old 03-27-2007, 12:17 AM
afreemanmd
Elder User
those cabs have got to be pretty heavy. You must need a special lift, or a bunch of hefty guys...

When did they start designing the cabs to do work by lifting the cab, because that must have been a real PITA with the excursions, because the cab extends all the way to the rear bumper. Just curious

Not to get off-topic or anything

Isaac

Old 03-27-2007, 12:56 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
You usually use a 2 post lift.

I am only familiar with the 99 up Super Duties - and I know they are designed to do this.

Its usually not that you can't change things like a turbocharger without lifting the cab - its just easier to do it by removing the cab thats all.

For example (if I recall correctly) you save about 2 hours by pulling the cab when replacing a 6.0l PSD, than by replacing the engine with the cab on (maybe a tech can chime in and confirm)

Excursions - it can be done, as far as I am aware - but the time savings aren't there...

Old 03-27-2007, 06:16 AM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
yeah, there must have been a problem becuase that was ridiculous. Ive heard other 6.0's but not like that.
Nope nothing wrong...He more than likely had 4-in exaust, and no muffler or cat.

Tim

Old 03-27-2007, 05:39 PM
V10_Cougar
Elder User
does CAT even make a 3/4 - 1 ton engine that would even close to fit in a SD? But jeez that would be nice to open the hood and see a nice, yellow block.

With all of this bad publicity and the SD line being Ford's bread and butter, is Ford doing as bad as it seems to be doing? I certainly hope not, but if ford doesn't shut up, stop making excuses, and shape up, we may be down to the Big 2 US automakers. Is that even possible? Could Ford actually go under, or are they not quite that dire yet?

**totally random stuff that I felt like posting**

I haven't heard it myself, but it seems that the 6.4 is eerily quiet. What happened to the clanky rumble and soot and stink of the older diesels?. Heck, I think thats half of the reason people buy 'em. I know is a big reason I like 'em. (besides the efficiency and low end grunt)

But speaking of turbo diesels, I was driving behind an Excursion with a 6.0 yesterday in stop and go traffic. HOLY CRAP! I've heard turbo whine before, but that thing sounded like a fighter jet! At first I though it was, but then at the next light i realized it was the X. Just thought that was interesting. Is that just an aftermarket exhaust to sound like that? Personally, I like the low end rumble more than the crazy loud turbo whine (although both in moderation is best)... but thats just my opinion

Isaac
They do make them for F550-750. But not for F250-350

Quick Reply: Remind me why I like Ford...