Colorado Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Colo. Natives check in here....

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:11 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Nor do we necessarily get out of bed each morning, stand outside on the front porch in our pajamas and yodel to the mountain goats. It's frequently too cold and/or snowy so we have to wear a coat.

-ct

Old 02-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Hooksetter
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not trying to start anything by any means...there are areas of Colorado that I absolutely love, and after reading some of the other posts, my opinion is reinforced that Colorado would be a damn fine state if you could get rid of all the Californians. I used to go to Denver about once per month in the mid 80s. Didn't go back for about 20 years, and I was completely taken aback. Where the heck did all these people come from? The answer to that is obvious--I just hope they stay out of New Mexico, and my home state of Oklahoma. Let me apologize if I have offended anyone, but when so many people infiltrate a state that it messes up their politics, land prices, home prices and such, it just seems wrong.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:51 PM
rikfish
Posting Guru
Hooksetter,

It's not just the Californians. Back in the 60's we were invaded by Texans buying up the real estate, then during the 70's oil boom the Canadians invaded.

I agree with what I think is your point. When you move to a new place, you should leave your old politics, etc. behind and try to fit in to your new surroundings. Don't try to turn the new locale into the old! I don't think the Canooks tried to change things (just bought up everything in sight), but the Texans sure did, and now the big influx from California threatens the Colorado way of life. And let me make it clear, I am NOT trying to flame anyone!

I guess many people in many states have the same thoughts regarding new arrivals....I have seen this sticker on many cars from many states........example......"Welcome to Colorado, now go home..."

Last edited by rikfish; 02-08-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:50 PM
Hooksetter
Junior User
......"Welcome to Colorado, now go home..."

I love it...and yes, you hit my point right on the head. Thanks for not being offended. I've always wondered why in the world anyone would move to a completely different environment and want, or even consider, bringing along their old ideologies. I live very close to where I was raised, it is my home, and I welcome anyone who wants to be here; but we have our ways of doing things and yours aren't necessarily welcome. If I am going to move to a different region of the country, it is going to be because I want to abandon, completely, the one in which I now live.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:41 PM
StillaKilla187
Senior User
Originally Posted by Hooksetter
......"Welcome to Colorado, now go home..."
I LOVE THAT!!!! I agree/

Old 02-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rikfish
It's not just the Californians. Back in the 60's we were invaded by Texans buying up the real estate, then during the 70's oil boom the Canadians invaded.
First it was oil, then it was oil, now it's construction?

I was talking to some people in Grand Junction a few years ago. They were telling me about the local construction boom: People moving there from Kalifornia and building million dollar homes.

I asked them what's going on in that area to support that kind of income and expense. They didn't know, he's just a painter and getting poorer every day because prices have jumped. Sad to say, they are thinking about moving to the front range. At least the market is big enough they could find a price break here and there.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:52 PM
rikfish
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Hypoid
First it was oil, then it was oil, now it's construction?

I was talking to some people in Grand Junction a few years ago. They were telling me about the local construction boom: People moving there from Kalifornia and building million dollar homes.

I asked them what's going on in that area to support that kind of income and expense. They didn't know, he's just a painter and getting poorer every day because prices have jumped. Sad to say, they are thinking about moving to the front range. At least the market is big enough they could find a price break here and there.
Some years back it was shale oil. I am guessing it is the oil and gas reserves again on the west side. Problem with the front range is the price of housing to start, then toss in the water issues! Of course, with all the foreclosures, one should be able to get a decent price on a house, sadly. Employment opportunities on this side of the state are not good though. That is my observation.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:39 PM
scoyboy
New User
Born in Gunnison- grew up in Fort Morgan and Fort Collins. Came back 10 yrs ago to raise my kids in Windsor. Looking for rare/unique truck owners amd learn where they're shown and the different groups interested in them.
'60 F250 Custom- Rack and Carriage-100k miles
'67 F250 Camp Spec. Ranger XLT- 70k miles
'71 F350 Crew Cab Special Custom (4dr)- 50k miles
etc., etc........

Old 02-16-2008, 09:03 AM
levim
New User
Originally Posted by redneckboy
Spent alot of time in La junta my granparents live there and many summers of going to John Martin.
La Junta's and Southeast Colorado is where I've lived for most of my life...good to know I'm not the only one on here.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:34 PM
sylas
New User
Conceived in Wheat Ridge (before it was incorporated), born at Colorado General in Denver. Lived in Montrose for a year and Greeley for a year, otherwise I've always lived in the west metro area.

I currently live in the house I grew up in and bought from my G-Mother. It's under contract and hopefully our offer on 110 acres down south will go through. I've had enough of the "east coasting" of the city of Denver proper and the "californication" of the rest of the metro area. This is the west, gosh darn it!

Old 02-27-2008, 03:58 PM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
Born and raised in crappy Cali...Blame my parents, not me. While I was stationed in the Springs back in 1988 I stole one of your women. She is from Loveland. After I retired in 2003, we moved to Loveland. I love the place. It makes up for California, Iraq, Somalia, Korea, and Bosnia.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:03 PM
ShayB
Freshman User
Hey there, we live between Loveland and Greeley, and I work in Loveland, so I probably see you around. My black Excursion is hard to miss.

My hubby is a native Coloradoan, born in Ft Collins and lived in Loveland all his life. Now we "officially" live in Johnstown, but outside the town. I was born in Oklahoma and moved here when I was 14, so have lived her longer than any place else.

We have always liked it here, but as we get older the cold, long winters are getting very old, as well as the traffic and tons of people. We moved out of Loveland 9-years ago out to the "sticks" as all our friends said. Now we are only 4 miles from Centerra and the growth just keeps getting closer. Those big lakes in Oklahoma and Arkansas are looking better and better each year, but not until our kids are out of school.

We started the Colorado Power Stroke Club a few years ago, so if you go to any dyno events, diesel racing or sled pulling around here, you have seen us! Next time, come say hello!

Shay

Old 04-17-2008, 10:11 PM
realtime
New User
I consider myself a native even though I was born in Phoenix AZ. My parents moved to eastern Denver when I was 2yrs old. I remember when Parker Rd. was two lanes and I would walk to the Super Hut right next to where Caldonias restaurant is now. I moved away for about ten years and now I live in Durango. I remember in the mid 90's seeing too many California license plates. I also remember seeing bumper stickers that read "Don't Californicate my State". Then I moved there. Go figure . My senses finally came to me and I moved back. My family has always owned Fords. My Dad had a 64 1/2 Mustang with a 260ci V8 when I was growing up. I now drive a '01 F150 Screw.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:18 PM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Super Hut...Wow! You are an old timer.

We used to ride our bicycles there for candy, Pollard's for just a soda. There was also the shopping plaza at Windsor Gardens, and the combination garage/gas station/ drive-up liquor store at Parker and Mississippi. That place was purple, there was always a puddle there in the summer, there were always tadpoles in the puddle. Cars splashed us a few times.

I remember riding with the neighbors to fill the tank in thier new car. The attendant filled the tank, took his $10 bill, gave him a $5 bill and some ones back for change.

Looks like I'm well on my way to geezerhood! LOL

Old 05-22-2008, 06:46 PM
99_F250_SD
Freshman User
Born in cortez and raised in dolores, i love it here there is no where else like it.

Quick Reply: Colo. Natives check in here....