1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Urgent Help needed NOW! Truck is down.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 09:02 PM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Urgent Help needed NOW! Truck is down.

95 F350 Powerstroke diesel, 140K

I was getting out of a customer’s driveway with a load of split white oak. Their driveway is like mine, quite steep, but longer. Also, there is a "speed bump" thing half way up the hill about1.5" high. Anyway, I was on 4-wheel drive with low gear. About half way out of the driveway, I heard a loud "Bang…". My heart just dropped, and a sudden chill went all over me, I’m hopping for the best, yet fearing the worst. I got out of the cab, secured the wheels with wood blocks so it won’t slide down the hill. Looking under the truck, I saw the rear drive shaft is on the ground, a few pieces of the female part of "coupler" scattered around, one of the two bushings is missing. Well, look like it could be worse than this. I then got hold of a neighbor friend to help unload the firewood and towed me out of the hilly driveway and into my yard with his F350-gas. Well, the questions are: How easy is it to undo the big nut holding the coupler to the rear tranaxle? Can I use impact are wrench if it won’t come lose with a hand one – considering it’s connected to the gears inside? Anyone know the part number of the coupler and the bushings? Can you only buy them from the dealership?

Old 02-03-2007, 09:23 PM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use a long pull handle with a long piece of pipe on it to break the nut loose. Only use an impact wrench as a last resort. I would check with part stores first (NAPA, Advance, Autozone, etc.) I have gotten yokes for other trucks from NAPA before. I don't know the part numbers.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:49 PM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by plowhand
Use a long pull handle with a long piece of pipe on it to break the nut loose. Only use an impact wrench as a last resort. I would check with part stores first (NAPA, Advance, Autozone, etc.) I have gotten yokes for other trucks from NAPA before. I don't know the part numbers.
Thanks Plowhand for your quick reply. Yes! That thing should be called "yoke". No other word can better discribe it, transfering "horse" power to the wagon.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:41 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
you should be able to find them in j-yards all over the place! sterlings were used in 250's and 350's however not sure if the semi floats used the same spline count and yoke size. you will also want to make sure you get the stock u-joint size yoke as well. you dont wanna have to run a basturd joint if you dont have to.

i have to say, i have beat the living heck out of my yoke on my sterling with 39's tires and have never busted a yoke. makes me wonder if it was already cracked somehow!?!

DO NOT IMPACT THE PINION NUT BACK ON!!! you will crush the crush sleeve! not good! need to torque it to spec!

you wouldnt happen to know if you are using a 1330 or 1350 series u-joint? also were there straps or u-bolts holding the u-joint to the yoke?

its one of these 3
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-...bolt_style.htm
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-..._and_newer.htm
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-...style_yoke.htm

-cutts-

Old 02-04-2007, 10:03 AM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

Thanks, fishmanndotcom. I found a good J-yard. One more question: Now I got the pinion nut (1 1/8") off, pretty easy, how can I get the yoke out of there? I noticed a pulling hole in the center of the bolt to anchor a bearing puller, but there is nothing on the yoke to grab on. Any tips? There is nothing behind it to pry on, since the plastic piece is behind it.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:06 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
you should be able to just grab it and pull it off. i've never had a problem, howeve i have removed mine several times too, lol. might need to tap it off with a hammer or something

good luck!

-cutts-

Old 02-04-2007, 10:52 AM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

I did tap it off. It wasn't easy, but it's off. Thanks.