1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

VSS-Does anybody REALLY Know where it is?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 11:08 PM
3-RANGERS
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow VSS-Does anybody REALLY Know where it is? Cruise, odom and speedo not working

02-F150XL-4X4-5.4L Automatic with manual transfer case and vacuum front locks. Speedo and odometer and cruise not working
There seems to be a lot of confusion as to where the actual speed sensor is. Both here and at Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts and other auto parts stores. I am so lost at this point as to where to look. Today I called Ford and gave them my V.I.N. and the parts rep told me that it is on the drivers side of the transmission. On the part that bolts directly to the transmission. He indicated to me that would be the part just in front of the transfer case. I had gone to the autoparts store the other day and bought a VSS from them prior to removing what I thought was my VSS and before I called Ford. The piece the autoparts store sold me had an end on it like a speedometer cable and the other end was a plug type receptical. I took the new part back home and removed what I thought was the VSS. Well I pulled the part out of the transfer case thinking that it was the right one because the plug in type configuration was the same...I was wrong. The one I pulled out of my transfer case looks just like the one in my "differential" (I am thinking that saying "in my rear end" may have been controversial) for the ring sensor located there next to the ring gear and pinion. I have looked all over my transmission where the parts rep told me to look and I can't seem to find the part to pull. By the way...I ask the Ford parts rep to hold the part in his hand and discribe it to me. And he said it has a speedometer type piece on one end and a plug in on the other...Go figure! Ok, so WHERE IS THIS PART? Does anyone have any pictures of the transmission or do you know where the VSS in the transmission is? Thanks for your time and HELP!! LOL I'll be waiting.

Last edited by 3-RANGERS; 01-24-2007 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Revision
Old 01-24-2007, 11:54 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
In my SD it is located above the drive shaft the rear en, I mean rear diff.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:40 AM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From memory only, '97 and '98s have the VSS gear '99+ have the sensor and it should just be an electrical plug. Drivers side of the tranny sounds right, but I do remember something about the rear diff as well, I want to say the Gear was back there and the sensors are in the tranny.

Just did a quick google search and I think it should be attached right where the shift linkage attaches to the tranny.

Last edited by galaxie641; 01-25-2007 at 12:45 AM.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:27 AM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
From the 2002 FORD Service manual

"Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)"

The vehicle speed sensor (VSS) is model dependent. Possible sources of vehicle speed input are, anti-lock brake sensor (ABS), a gear-driven vehicle speed sensor (VSS), or the transmission output shaft speed (OSS) sensor. On 4x4 applications with a manual shift transfer case, the transfer case speed sensor is the source of vehicle speed. The VSS signal is either an AC signal whose frequency changes with vehicle speed, or an SCP data message depending on the source. Some vehicles have both. The vehicle speed signal is an input to various vehicle sub-systems such as the powertrain control module (PCM), instrument cluster (speedometer and odometer), speed control systems, etc. The vehicle speed source must be operational to enter output state control mode for diagnostics.

================================================== ========

SECTION 206-09A: Anti-Lock Control — Rear 2002 F-150 Workshop Manual
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION Procedure revision date: 06/20/2001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sensor—Rear
Removal and Installation

Raise and support vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02.
NOTE: Clean off dirt and debris that may have collected around the rear anti-lock brake sensor before removal.

Remove the rear anti-lock brake sensor.
Disconnect the rear anti-lock brake sensor electrical connector.
Remove the bolt.
Remove the rear anti-lock brake sensor.

NOTE: Thoroughly clean the mounting surface.

NOTE: Inspect the anti-lock brake sensor O-ring for damage; lightly lubricate the O-ring with SAE-75W-140 High Performance Rear Axle Lubricant F1TZ-19580-B or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSL-M2C192-A.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

TSS= Turbine Speed Sensor
OSS= Output Shaft Speed Sensor

Now, does that further confuse the matter?

Old 01-25-2007, 07:36 AM
3-RANGERS
Senior User
Hi and thanks for your replies!! I got this truck for $1500.00 with it needing the differential repaired (mainly the spider gears) and a “C” clip on the drivers axle replaced. I have owned it now for about 3 months and the history of the vehicle is unknown as the company that owned it has gone bankrupt. This truck and an 02 F450 was held up in court proceedings for about 5 months. The 450 sold for $500.00 needing an ECM and some engine parts. The speedo and cruise on my truck has not worked since I have owned it and I am grateful to those of you that took the time to post and research my problem. I Googled it but I must not have used the right keywords to locate what I needed. Thanks to you galaxie641 for taking the time to search it out. A special thanks to you also ncranchero for popping a couple of pics in there for me. I wish I knew how to do that! I will keep you all updated on the repairs and what it took to get it done. I am headed out to put the snow tires on my creeper and brave the 22 degree chill to get this done. If I can get the speedo and cruise to work the price of my endurance will be small. Again, Thanks to all of you.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:51 AM
3-RANGERS
Senior User
Arrow

Hello All! Well after a long search through three different dealers and four different aftermarket parts stores I got the right part. It turns out that the one in the tailshaft of the transfer case was in fact the right place to look. Thanks to ncranchero and the pics along with the added text in them I found out that it is in fact called a TSS (turbine speed sensor). and not a VSS. I am now driving around with a smile on my face. It has been a long and hard chase for the right part but alas...It is done. Replacing the TSS has its good and bad sides though. Now I have my cruise and my speedo and odometer working. That's a good thing. But now, the miles on my truck are going up and I can see it! Oh well, I guess I'll have to take the good with some bad. LOL
Thanks again to all of you that kicked in a piece of your knowledge and a piece of your life to type in your posts. Joe