Sponsored by: DP Tuner

BIO Gunk? Good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 11:36 AM
bandlgeorge
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BIO Gunk? Good or bad?

Okay- I've read lots of posts stating that BIO plugs up your fuel filter and can be bad for you truck, but on the other hand I've heard it "cleans" the system and gets rid of any deposits/buildup in the fuel system. I have also headr that ULSD fuel doesn't have as much "lube" in it and this can cause problems with O-rings. Do any of you see any problems using this proposed cycle of bio, fuel filter change, regular diesel, bio, fuel filter, . . . ? Also, I have read of problems with BIO depending on the type of oil used in making the fuel, as well as the percent BIO that the mix is. What are your takes on these two issues and/or what is a good percent blend in your opinion? I am 1k away from an oil and fuel filter change and was considering running my last 1-2 tanks as BIO to flush the system, then replace the fuel filter and repeat next fuel filter change. Thanks for your help and I'm sure others will appreciate any input.

2002 CC 4X4 LB 7.3PSD AT no mods, yet (eventually!)

Old 01-24-2007, 11:53 AM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you planning on making it yourself? If not, store bought bio raises pretty much no issues, however if you make it yourself you have to make sure it is filtered extremely well, and for the most part never run more than 50% in the winter, as it will gel.

Old 01-24-2007, 04:01 PM
bandlgeorge
Elder User
It will be store bought. Just stopped by the only place I know of that sells BIO. Theirs is an 80/20 blend for 2.99 (about 20-30 cents more than ULSD). Right person wasn't there to find out what type of oil was used to make it. Also, you said running 50 percent BIO and 50 percent ULSD is a good combo to prevent gelling? If so, that works even better for me. What about the ideas that it will gum up your fuel filter, but also clean you fuel lines of build-up? Thanks again!

Old 01-24-2007, 04:08 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Bio will gum up your fuel filter after a couple tanks, it's not the bio that is actually plugging it up it's the crude that is in your tank that the Bio is cleaning out. This doesn't seem to be as much of an issue below B25 but B20 will do it to some extent just not as fast, B5 you won't have a problem. I make my own Bio, run it at B25 and had to change my fuel filter after about 1000 miles (it had some mileage on it before but don't remember how much) and the second one I replaced at 3000 miles when I did my next oil change, I have 7000 miles on the current filter and it hasn't plugged up yet. Actually non of them plugged I just decided to change them for safety sake, and I keep a spare in the truck which is a good idea anyway.

BTW once it cleans out your tank you won't have a problem with it unless you quit running it for a long time. Also you will find that Bio makes the engine run better, quieter, and in my case actually improved my fuel economy.

Last edited by monsterbaby; 01-24-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:15 PM
zed326
Senior User
does any one know if it around on long island??? i would like to try it

Old 01-24-2007, 05:18 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've read lots of posts stating that BIO plugs up your fuel filter and can be bad for you truck, but on the other hand I've heard it "cleans" the system and gets rid of any deposits/buildup in the fuel system.
It's not bad for your truck and like monster said, it cleans the deposits out of your fuel system. That's what plugs the fuel filter.

I have also headr that ULSD fuel doesn't have as much "lube" in it and this can cause problems with O-rings.
The lubricity is not the problem with ULSD, since it is required that the new fuel meets the ASDM standards of highway diesel. The problem is the removal of aromatics. Aromatics contained in LSD causes o-rings to swell, and by switching to the new fuel, the o-rings shrink. The aromatics are not necessary for our engines, and not necessary for o-rings per say, it's just that o-rings in older engines that have used LSD for many years have "adapted" to having aromatics in the fuel.

Do any of you see any problems using this proposed cycle of bio, fuel filter change, regular diesel, bio, fuel filter, . . . ?
Run whatever makes you happy.

I have read of problems with BIO depending on the type of oil used in making the fuel, as well as the percent BIO that the mix is.
What you are referring to is the home brewed bio. Animal fats left in bio fuels made at home can cause problems with your truck. Proper filtration and testing can eliminate that problem for the home brewer. Since you are buying commercial bio, you don't have to worry about it. The only concern you need is to make sure you buy from a station that sells a large amount of bio diesel inventory. Bio can algae up fairly quickly, so stay away from old stale fuel.

for the most part never run more than 50% in the winter, as it will gel.
Actually, it will gel fairly easily at any blend over 20%. Run B20 or less during the winter months and you'll be fine.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:24 PM
bandlgeorge
Elder User
Thanks for the detailed reply to the topic. Always nice to get just a bit more input. Looks like I'll mix the 20 percent BIO into my tank of ULSD when it gets to half, then repeat and change my filter. Thanks again!

Old 01-24-2007, 06:34 PM
dmueller71
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've run a couple of tanks on bio, bought while out on the road. I didn't notice any problems, or running better for that matter. I just got it to see what happens. There's no place close to me that carries it. My dad want's to start making our own though. After getting all of the equipment, what kind of cost do you guys have producing your own. And what kind of time do you have to put into it?

Old 01-24-2007, 06:52 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dmueller71
I've run a couple of tanks on bio, bought while out on the road. I didn't notice any problems, or running better for that matter. I just got it to see what happens. There's no place close to me that carries it. My dad want's to start making our own though. After getting all of the equipment, what kind of cost do you guys have producing your own. And what kind of time do you have to put into it?
you would get alot of answer for question in the bio forum...

Old 01-24-2007, 06:57 PM
dmueller71
Laughing Gas
I'm sure that I would, But that's a place I've never been, and I was just kind of feeling out the people here. People who have proven over the years not to BS, and people who drive what I drive, and how I drive it. Ya know what I mean?

Old 01-24-2007, 07:06 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure that I would, But that's a place I've never been, and I was just kind of feeling out the people here. People who have proven over the years not to BS, and people who drive what I drive, and how I drive it. Ya know what I mean?
I was interested in getting a set up to make bio..I spent a lot time reading in there and found out quite a bit..I never posted in there though..never needed too..lot of questions I needed answered was being asked..about 3 months ago they was making it around 45 to 65 cents a gal...I'm sure its changed by now.. I ended up spending the money on taking my kids to sea world....so I haven't been in for a while

Old 01-24-2007, 08:14 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
One thing you will notice down there is actually quiet a few names you recognize from up here. I haven't gotten it down on the costs like some of the guys in there, by reclaiming the methonal, or buying my stuff in bulk (NAoH or KoH) and it's only costing me around 81 cents a gallon.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:07 PM
dmueller71
Laughing Gas
I guess I really should put some serious thought and research into this huh?

Old 01-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been making my own BD for over two years now. Run it in both Momma's X and my truck. Over 60,000 miles combined. Drove through Utah last week on B100 it was
-10 degrees outside and no issues with gelling. (I am sure if it was sitting still I would've had some though). Costs me around 48 cents a gallon. I save over 500.00 a month. Hell that just bought my new turbonetics turbo and paid the registration on Momma's X

Old 01-24-2007, 11:25 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Bio will not plug up your filters IF it is filtered properly. IOW, get some cruddy Bio and it WILL plug up your filters. Bio will clean out the gunk in the tank and it goes somewhere. Hopefully your filter instead of the engine parts. Once Bio cleans out the gunk, there should be no more gunk to clog up your filters. In my case my tank was clean as a whistle. I found this out when I hutched and harpooned my tank. If you want to, run several tanks of bio to clean it out, change filter and forget about it. I ran B20 and noticed nothing except maybe a little quieter running of the engine or so the wife-o-meter says. In my car, B40 caused mileage loss.

Quick Reply: BIO Gunk? Good or bad?