Tow Buddy by Hitch Buddy - Anyone use this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 10:41 PM
swengle
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tow Buddy by Hitch Buddy - Anyone use this?

Surfing the web tonight I came across the "Tow Buddy" by Hitch Buddy.

http://www.hitch-buddy.com/

Hooked up to your hitch reciever, it's another set of wheels to tow your fifth wheel or goose neck. Looks well engineered, but I wonder about its benefits. They better be plenty since it goes for $6,500.

Curious.

Steve

Old 01-22-2007, 08:03 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
I see huge stability concerns if that contraption decides to wobble.
There's not any weight transfer from the hitch to the rear wheels of the tow rig. No weight for traction or braking control.
The other thing that comes to mind is it's a good way to move a 5th wheel trailer while transporting a camper in the bed of your truck. Perhaps it would have value to a professional mover.
I don't see the point of getting one unless you were given a nice 5th wheel by one of your relatives and all you have to tow it with is a van.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:34 AM
JAY95gt
Mountain Pass
Isn't one of the benefits of a 5th wheel or gooseneck to put the weight of the "tongue" over the rear axle instead of off the back of the vehicle for better control and stability? Seems like this product would not only defeat that purpose, but also make it much worse than an equivalent tag along since as Dan said, there is no tongue weight on the tow vehicle.

I do agree it seems like a decent "interim solution" if you found a smoking deal on a trailer and have a Van or SUV. For that amount of money you could probably trade for a truck though. Would be interesting to hear from people that have actually used it.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:45 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
It says it's been on the road since 99, but even after being in numerous campgrounds i've yet to see this creation. Quite honestly, looks pretty scary to me. I like the picture on their sit of it hooked to a dually, why have a dually if your not going to put any weight in the the bed or on the trailer tongue? Must just like to waste tires. Maybe an interim unit, but for that price I'd look for another truck.

Old 01-26-2007, 05:44 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As stated above, for that price I'd just buy a truck. You still have to tow a ton of weight. It is not like you will be able to hook the contaption up to a Carolla and pull a 35' 5er.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:17 PM
IHI
Senior User
FWIW Hitch Buudy has been around for awhile, and the latest new comer is Trailer Toad, that incorporated many of the good factors of the hitch buddy and then added their own to make it better.

Go to any race track (I'm speaking of drag racing since that's my area) and you will see these every weekend. Not many pick-up's using them, but on class C motor homes it's a necessity since hooking up a 24'-32' fully loaded car hauler with tools, golf cart, etc...literally rips the motor home body in 2 over the years, this takes all teh tounge wieght off the coach and puts it on the dolly.

If your serious about some great info, a freind of mine is a dealer for Tralier Toad brand, actually uses the product, towed his trailer with 2 dragsters and gold cart behind his 28' class C all over the country racing, says it's the most stable platform he's towed in years, hence becoming a dealer since like he put it, the proof was in the pudding. Let me know and I can put you in contact with him for more info and pricing. I know he was running a special on them last month, but do not recall the price.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:51 AM
IHI
Senior User
Also wanted add, many of the hot shots that deliver trailers to customers/dealers around the midwest area also use a variation of the hitch buddy/trialer toad...there's are usually trailer manufacturer built, but are along the same design and are almost always set up for dual purpose for hooking up a goose or regular tounge so they're not having to haul around 2 seperate dollies for each application they run into. alot more cost effeicent for them to pick-up/deliver 2 trailers instead of one.

either way, bottome line is these have been in use for years, and are proven feild tested designs. The only draw back if using a hitch buddy if I remember correctly is if you get one for a regular bumper pull you have to weld some brackets on the trailer tounge itself, whereas the trailer toad you do not. but with both units you have to manually lock the dolly before you can back up-normally, otherwise it's like backing up a piggy back unit and if you've never tried that, it's tough

Old 01-27-2007, 11:32 AM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IHI
The only draw back if using a hitch buddy if I remember correctly is if you get one for a regular bumper pull you have to weld some brackets on the trailer tounge itself, whereas the trailer toad you do not. but with both units you have to manually lock the dolly before you can back up-normally, otherwise it's like backing up a piggy back unit and if you've never tried that, it's tough
I guess when one is traveling with a big RV it does make sense, but for many people, buying a used truck is actually a better option.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:43 AM
IHI
Senior User
Originally Posted by aurgathor
I guess when one is traveling with a big RV it does make sense, but for many people, buying a used truck is actually a better option.
I completely agree, for the average schmo that is using a travel trailer to take his family on a trip, a pick-up would be the better option all around for towing, compactness, one less thing to worry about, insurance and registration savings, etc...but families involved in a motor sport of sorts that travel and needs a home while doing their thing, a motor home pulling a big enclosed is the only way to get the best of both worlds, sure hotels can usually be had but speaking from experience it's a PITA going back and forth, it's nice to have shelter forr the kids when it's hot and humid during the summer, or cold and windy in the spring/fall season and I dont know how many time we were fortunate enough to go alot of rounds and would'nt get out of the track until 2-4am in the morning, then have to be back by 9am to start all over again, and I just wasted $100+ on a room for maybe 3 hours at most being there since rooms are usually booked out a year in advance so your forced to drive 30minutes to find a place from where your at

Old 01-27-2007, 05:07 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
If you have an SUV it could be a huge plus. At this time, with my Ex, I can only tow with the hitch. That means that I cannot use a 5th wheel. With that system, I can use a 5th wheel and not worry. That means that if I were buying a camper, I wouldn't have to exclude one of them because it was a 5th wheel. If it is a new camper, it isn't so much of a problem. If it is used, you cannot specify what it is at that RV lot that you are getting.

I need an SUV because of the dogs I have. I can leave them in the Ex with the AC running or the heater running while I go have lunch or whatever.