1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to replace the tires, what are you running or recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 06:19 PM
rb8484
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to replace the tires, what are you running or recommend?

Time to replace my tires on my 2008 f250. I'm thinking of going with the Cooper AT3's.
Got a price of $820 installed for 275/70/18, and they come with a $70 rebate

Old 09-22-2014, 06:36 PM
pjviitas
New User
Stock Rubber

Stock rubber is cheap and if your hauling a camper around for half the year like I am the hard compound has great wear characteristics.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:20 PM
M992wd
Senior User
Running Definity Dakota at2's. Got them as cosmetic blemishes, the 2 isn't white on the letter side. Came to like $680 something mounted and balanced. So far they seem to be good tires, little noisy at 55ish, but aren't any louder than the highway slicks that were on it before at 65+.

If you can find a good deal, take it.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:46 PM
Platinum08
Senior User
I just put BFG A/T's on mine in the same size tire as yours on a 08 cc sb. Overall the tire is great, a little loud on the highway but not terrible. I paid 1100ish with certs about a month ago from discount in Grand Rapids.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:19 PM
cold_beer839
Junior User
I had Michelin LTX M/S-2's (load Range E) on my '03 for about 4 years and 35k miles. They wore well and were quiet. Took them off recently after putting on a 4" lift and they still had excellent thread left. They will cost more than the Coopers though.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:31 PM
BoatDreamin
New User
Cooper AT3's all the way RB84

I had a 2003 F250 6.0 CC 4x4 and it was a beast. I used to pull trailers and push snow up here in Chicago. The stock tires suck but were good for 50K road miles as long as you didn't need them for snow :/

BFG T/A KO's are great for 2 seasons and then that's it. They are too soft with little tread depth for the torque of a diesel. They don't last and I only put 30K on them and they were useless to me. Crap for $1000 set of tires.

Cooper AT3's went on after the BFG's and are mosters in the snow and all around great tire. My friends put them on and we all love them. 40K miles no problem and usable through all 40K. Although they are rated for 50K its a heavy truck and the diesel chews them up but they lasted a lot longer the the over priced BFG. I added sipes to mine down the middle and was plowing mostly in 2wd and even going up steep driveways backwards in the snow with the plow mounted in 2wd(true story). Just a fantastic tire for wet and snow traction. That's my real world experiece for the tires. you make your own call

Old 09-22-2014, 10:54 PM
askoop
Freshman User
Had the cooper AT3 on my lifted grand cherokee and loved them. Did great on all road conditions, including snow. Also did well in farm fields with wet, tall grass and light mud. Never had them in any deep mud though and my jeep was a light weight compared to the SD.

I have read of some people having trouble with them on heavier trucks though, something about them not balancing after getting some miles on them. I hope that is not true, looking to get a set for my SD.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:54 PM
BoatDreamin
New User
Like most tires if you don't keep them inflated or rotate them you will have balance issues. 70PSI for the E rated tire with rotate and balance every 5000 miles and you will be fine. It all depends on the season they are used most in. Winter doesn't do much wear unless you spin a lot but you shouldn't be burning the tire up. Also if you plow and do a lot of road driving with the plow mounted make sure the tire is inflated properly other wise you could prematurely wear the outside rib a little in a heavy Winter season but that goes for all tires.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:24 AM
redford
Received 1,564 Likes on 912 Posts
Originally Posted by BoatDreamin
I had a 2003 F250 6.0 CC 4x4 and it was a beast. I used to pull trailers and push snow up here in Chicago. The stock tires suck but were good for 50K road miles as long as you didn't need them for snow :/

BFG T/A KO's are great for 2 seasons and then that's it. They are too soft with little tread depth for the torque of a diesel. They don't last and I only put 30K on them and they were useless to me. Crap for $1000 set of tires.

Cooper AT3's went on after the BFG's and are mosters in the snow and all around great tire. My friends put them on and we all love them. 40K miles no problem and usable through all 40K. Although they are rated for 50K its a heavy truck and the diesel chews them up but they lasted a lot longer the the over priced BFG. I added sipes to mine down the middle and was plowing mostly in 2wd and even going up steep driveways backwards in the snow with the plow mounted in 2wd(true story). Just a fantastic tire for wet and snow traction. That's my real world experiece for the tires. you make your own call
I have 45k on my BFG T/A KOs. I can get another winter out of them. Why did you have to replace yours at 30k?

Old 09-23-2014, 07:55 AM
Wehill
New User
When I first bought my 2011 F-250 it has Goodrich crap on them. I had to replace two of them at about 8000 miles. They were leaking along the inside of the tread in a couple of places. Ford wouldn't replace them.

The originals were 245 and I wanted a little wider tire so, I put put four new Firestone LT 265/70R17 Transgresson/ATs on and have had really good luck with them.

I pull a 8,500 pound unloaded RV and like the tires, at least, so far.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:16 PM
BoatDreamin
New User
You are getting more miles from your truck b/c it's not a diesel and have half the torque. My friend with the gasser pulled an extra 10K on his set too (a whole extra season) and its most likely due to less total truck weight, torque and the fact he didn't tow anything over 4000 lbs. I did have a 60Hp tune as well -just enough for fun and power without head gasket worries- I also replaced mine b/c I have snow plow accts and if you plow you know u need a certain tread depth to have a useable tire to dig and grab the ground. Time is money and they were spinning to much when I needed them to grab and push. Discount gave me a small credit for the premature wear and I applied that too the AT3's. I buy a lot I tires for trucks cars and trailers. So knowing what's a good tire and havin the real world/work experience helps. I'm glad your getting more miles out of yours. These tires now a-days are so $$. They are a great tire as Long as they still have meat and the blizzard in 2010 they had 10K miles on them and worked perfectly even with 20+ inches on the roads. I wish They lasted longer but they didn't and unfortunately that's how it went.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:21 PM
BoatDreamin
New User
I'm sorry I never mentioned the size
They were 285-75-16E and fit the truck very well

Old 09-24-2014, 05:06 AM
davalt75
Senior User
Just put a set of Mastercraft Courser MXTs on mine Monday. I had a set of Cooper AT3s on the 2011 F250 I had with the 6.2. Good tires. I had no complaints. I was gonna go with Coops again on my 6.4 but the guy at the tire shop reccomeded the Mastercrafts. They are made by Cooper but we're only about $1050 installey as opposed to around $1300 for the Cooper stt's. (35x12.50x20) They look good on the truck, not loud at all, and handle well. As long as I keep them rotated like I should, they should last a while.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:18 AM
redford
Received 1,564 Likes on 912 Posts
Originally Posted by BoatDreamin
You are getting more miles from your truck b/c it's not a diesel and have half the torque. My friend with the gasser pulled an extra 10K on his set too (a whole extra season) and its most likely due to less total truck weight, torque and the fact he didn't tow anything over 4000 lbs. I did have a 60Hp tune as well -just enough for fun and power without head gasket worries- I also replaced mine b/c I have snow plow accts and if you plow you know u need a certain tread depth to have a useable tire to dig and grab the ground. Time is money and they were spinning to much when I needed them to grab and push. Discount gave me a small credit for the premature wear and I applied that too the AT3's. I buy a lot I tires for trucks cars and trailers. So knowing what's a good tire and havin the real world/work experience helps. I'm glad your getting more miles out of yours. These tires now a-days are so $$. They are a great tire as Long as they still have meat and the blizzard in 2010 they had 10K miles on them and worked perfectly even with 20+ inches on the roads. I wish They lasted longer but they didn't and unfortunately that's how it went.
I tow with mine also, 4000 pounds would be an empty trailer.

BFG has the new T/A KO2 coming out later this year. Similar tread pattern to the T/A KO but with with siping for ice and a redesigned sidewall for better deep snow traction.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:20 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
I ran the BFG T/A KO's on my F350 6.0 and got 40k miles out of them. This is a mix of normal driving/towing 5-10k lbs. They were very good in the snow, second only to the Duratracs.

I would love to try the KO 2's, but they don't offer them for my F150. I also am not a fan of the OWL..

On edit: After talking to a BFG rep, they are available in my size for the F150. They just haven't listed them on their website yet. I may get them in a month or so.

Quick Reply: Time to replace the tires, what are you running or recommend?