2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the point of a spray on liner right away?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 01:13 PM
ReForder
Fleet Mechanic

Received 167 Likes on 89 Posts
Side note, if you're using a bed rug or a plastic liner to cover damage to a bed before you sell it, what happens if the buyer removes the liner (as he should) before the sale? Also, if you develop anykind of rot in the bed before spraying in a bed liner, there is a CHANCE (don't jump on me) that it could spread underneath without proper prep work. Also, why would you invest almost $500 in a spray in liner just to sell the truck?

I have a Rhino, I move stone several times each summer I've had the truck and got the bed liner with this in mind. Also move sheetrock, plywood, sand, mulch, etc. Nothing goes underneath, nothing scratches through it, it's tacky as hell, and it should add resale value to the truck. In 2 years it's still as black as night (it's covered by a toneau almost constantly).

In the end, it's a matter of choice. I've heard good things about Bedrug. So-so things about plastic liners (they tend to warp after a while, but are cheaper and easy enough to replace)

Old 01-19-2007, 04:21 PM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't have to put up with a fading bedliner anymore. LINE-X now has a product called Xtra, made by Dupont only for LINE-X. It resists fading, resists loss of gloss, extremely durable (contains a Kevlar micro pulp), increased scratch and stain resistance, comes in black or exact non-fading color matches.

Here's Xtra in black. All you have to do is wash it off, no conditioners needed:

Old 01-20-2007, 04:54 AM
orgnova
Freshman User
the rug is like a drop in liner, if it isn't attached, you could have a problem later. i have line-x now for 2 yrs and it still looks good. i haul rocks, lumber, dirt, and other crap and it takes a beating and keeps shining.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:00 AM
()smoke()
Junior User
no point for me...i'll scratch it up myself before the spray on liner is applied

if i hauled a lot of rock or dropped stuff from 10' into my bed like the commercials show, i'd have put one in immediately though

Old 01-20-2007, 11:01 AM
LINEXSNJ
New User
Originally Posted by Wr3ckin_Cr3w
i was thinking of getting a spray on for my bed, but i didnt know that the liners would fade over time. Instant, what brand of liner did you have
This is in response to the initial question as well as a few other ones that have popped up. The point in doing the liner right away is to protect the bed. Yes you can have it done later but at what cost? If you wait you may scratch the bed allowing rust to start to form or other problems. Your spray on dealer will be able to fix this but depending on how bad and how long you let it go there will probably be an additional cost for them to have to take car of the rust and any other problems that may arrise from waiting to have it installed. As for adding strength to the bed I believe it does. I have had both polyurethane and polyurethane-polyurea liners. Personally the poly-urea liner has held up better with less dents in my bed, looks better both when initially installed and after a few years.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:15 AM
()smoke()
Junior User
i'm not worried about my bed rusting out anytime in the next decade...we still have a '75 f250 with no bedliner and structurally sound bed...of course, i admit that many factors play into the scenario including use, geographic location, etc.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:47 AM
InstantGrits
Senior User
I looked at the bedrug today. It still is the same as a drop in as it will definately allow water to puddle up under it. I admit I liked it and probably will install one. However I would not even consider it without a cover. I just put on an undercover top this morning. Now that is sweet!

Old 01-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Y-Blockhead
Elder User
InstantGrits,
I just went outside to look at my BedRug. Yes I suppose water could get in at the front of the bed. The sides of the BedRug are under the bed rail so it might be hard to get water from there.
The good thing about a BedRug is if you get water under it, it is easily removed, the bottom is zippered to the sides.
I have a Snug Lid F2 that is lined with the same material as the BedRug material which is kind if cool.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:25 PM
InstantGrits
Senior User
Blockhead,
I can see it wouldnt be real easy to get water there, and also easy to clean it out if it did. I like the way it cant scratch the paint off the bed also, so no rust under it. Like you, I have a cover, and am leaning heavy to getting one. Who woulda thunk it..I have always been a big fan of spray in. Thanks for the response BH

Old 01-20-2007, 06:38 PM
medic2586
Mountain Pass
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by InstantGrits
Blockhead,
I can see it wouldnt be real easy to get water there, and also easy to clean it out if it did. I like the way it cant scratch the paint off the bed also, so no rust under it. Like you, I have a cover, and am leaning heavy to getting one. Who woulda thunk it..I have always been a big fan of spray in. Thanks for the response BH
i don't think you'll be sorry!

Old 02-07-2007, 12:08 AM
aquaman
Posting Guru
Hey, I thought prepping the box before spraying involved sanding off the paint in the box. Isn't that worse than getting it scratched?

I got a regular Ford factory drop-in bed liner for $180. It takes a beating with me hauling rock that gets dumped in by tractor (I bet ya wouldn't dare do that on your spray-in!), pallets of brick sliding in and out by forklift, and me poking it while shoveling landscape material. Zero damage to the sheet metal below. I do notice some paint wear under the bedliner where it rubs against the floor, but that would be sanded down if I were to ever get a spray-in anyways.

If my bedliner does ever get messed up, I'll just go get another one...I'll still be ahead compared to a $500 spray-in job... :-)

Yah, stuff slides around in the back, but my bed extender takes care of that :-)

Last edited by aquaman; 02-07-2007 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:47 AM
Jrich1
Junior User
I did mine for protection and it just looks good on a new truck

Old 02-07-2007, 09:13 AM
4X4STX
New User
Another reason

I've seen drop in liners laying on the side of the road all the time. I also don't believe anyone has ever had a spray in liner stolen.