1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1982 F-150 need ignition switch picture-wire placement-on column

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 08:12 PM
cantedvalveFord
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1982 F-150 need ignition switch picture-wire placement-on column

NEED HELP- CAN ANYONE TAKE A PICTURE OF THEIR STARTER SWITCH WITH PLUG IN IT, AND POST IT OR EMAIL IT TO ME- SO I CAN KNOW WHERE THIS WIRE SHOULD GO- THERE ARE 3 OR 4 EMPTY SLOTS WHERE IT CAN GO- READ ON:

1982 FORD F-150 4X4

I bought this F-150 a few years ago, and have been slowly de-bugging it from the previous owners f-ups. This is the one where he failed to put in all the bolts of a suspension lift kit- and it was shaking like he-ll for 2 years off and on.

Well this problem is- the truck never had a set of keys to start it- he had it rigged so you turn the key switch to run position, then push a button under the dash. hey, no big problem- nobody will ever steal the truck that's for sure

so one day last fall I decide to drop the starter switch and take a look- but when I remove the plug from it up above the steering column, a wire falls out of the plug !

ok, he's been in here too- he obviously was pulling wires from the plug, and putting them back in, and had one of those little lock tangs flattened out- so the wire fell out

only I didn't see where it was to begin with- so I picked a slot in the plug that looked right, and plugged it in- the truck starts and runs with the button as usual, but the 4WD dash light would stay on after the truck was shut off- so I would not want to park it in 4WD, I'd put it in 2WD

well it sat for a few weeks and the battery got sluggish next startup, needed a boost- but then was ok

now the battery went DEAD- I had to replace it

checked the draw at the cables- the truck now has a drain on the battery at all times- that wire I plugged back in, is in the wrong slot

NEED HELP- CAN ANYONE TAKE A PICTURE OF THEIR STARTER SWITCH WITH PLUG IN IT, AND POST IT OR EMAIL IT TO ME- SO I CAN KNOW WHERE THIS WIRE SHOULD GO- THERE ARE 3 OR 4 EMPTY SLOTS WHERE IT CAN GO

or is there a picture online somewhere ?

I'd don't want to go to the junkyard, just to see a starter switch. My switch works fine, just needs to be wired correctly. The previous owner of this truck was the biggest STRIPPED BOLT MECHANIC the world has ever seen.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:32 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Starter switch ?

Ignition switch wiring or steering column wiring?

Do you mean like this connector on the column like a 79 ?

or Like this?

Last edited by Mil1ion; 01-17-2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:39 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Old 01-18-2007, 06:55 PM
cantedvalveFord
Senior User
ok, that curved plug in looks like a neutral safety switch plug

that round plug is not it

the switch and plug I'm talking about, has a block shaped rectangular plug with plastic snap locks on it

this one is on the column, underneath the dash- it is actually bolted to the top of the steering column- and to see it, you have to put your head down by the gas pedal and look up with a light

I was hoping maybe someone had a column out with the switch on it already

I know this is asking a lot..

I'll get in there tomorrow when it's light outside and take a few pics and post them, if I can

Old 01-18-2007, 07:00 PM
cantedvalveFord
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mil1ion
Starter switch ?

Ignition switch wiring or steering column wiring?

IGNITION SWITCH WIRING/PLUG ON TOP OF COLUMN, RECTANGULAR IN SHAPE, BLACK, PLUGS IN FROM THE TOP

Do you mean like this connector on the column like a 79 ?

NO, THIS ONE IS NOT CURVED OR GRAY

or Like this?

NO, NOT THAT ROUND TYPE EITHER

I'LL TRY TO GET SOME PICTURES TOMORROW AND POST THEM

Old 01-19-2007, 10:49 AM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
What colors of the wire you are having problems with?

If you tell me what color wire you are having trouble with, I may be able to help.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:45 AM
cantedvalveFord
Senior User
at this point I realize previous owner was in there unplugging wires from ignition switch plug- and moving them around

I need a picture or description of ALL the wires plugged in there- so I can return it to stock config

pics to follow

the truck never started with the key- now I know why- he f'd it up

Old 01-19-2007, 01:44 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Well I can tell you what the color wires to the switch are.

And I can tell you how the switch energizes the wires.

1: Circut #37 Yellow Wire: Power In.

2: Circut #687 Green/Yellow Wire. Hot in run only. Goes to fuse panel F-14 and F-15

3: Circut #16 Red/Lt Green and Circut #252 Brown/Pink wire combined to one connection, hot in start only. Goes to Ignition coil.

4: Circut #16 Red/Lt Green and Circut #20 White LB Hash wire combined in one conection hot in run only.

5: Circut #32 Red/Lt Blue wire, hot in start only. Goes to neutral saftey switch, and starter solenoid.

6: Circut #237 Black/Lt Green Hash wire Hot In run and Accessory.

7: Circut #977 Purple/White wire Hot in start goes to brake warning lamp.

What you can do with the following information, is find out which connections at the ignition switch is hot in run, start, or accessory by using a lighted tester or a multimeter. I bet most of the wires are correct.

What it sounds like to me is that the truck has a bad neutral start saftey switch and the PO instead of fixing it right bypassed the NSS using a start button and some rewiring to the starter solenoid. This is my guess with the avaliable information. But it is only a guess if you understand. Be prepared when the truck is wired at the ignition switch right, that the truck wont start. My guess.

Hope this at least helps a little.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:31 PM
Mil1ion
New User
The curved connector shown above is considered the column wiring in a 70's truck.

I couldn't remember which year the key was moved to the steering column.

But this illustration is what I thought you would have.

In Post #3 I linked to a schematic for your ignition switch.

Did you not look at it ?

You didn't comment on that link

Last edited by Mil1ion; 01-19-2007 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:09 PM
cantedvalveFord
Senior User
schematics won't help- the wires were pulled from the plug itself- so I need a picture of a plug with wires in it, in original form, to use as a pattern to check this one- and put it back to stock config

yes, most likely

a. the neutral safety switch was out of adjustment, or defective

or

b. the starter switch had to be adjusted- some slide up/down on the column to adjust those as well

and the DUMB *** started pulling wires from the plug, and crimping the locks tabs flat

pics to follow today- I'm going out there NOW to take pictures

Old 01-23-2007, 01:21 PM
cantedvalveFord
Senior User
ok, I have the pics, how do I upload them ?

or can I email them to someone, who can upload them ?

Old 01-23-2007, 01:23 PM
cantedvalveFord
Senior User
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
Well I can tell you what the color wires to the switch are.

And I can tell you how the switch energizes the wires.

1: Circut #37 Yellow Wire: Power In.

2: Circut #687 Green/Yellow Wire. Hot in run only. Goes to fuse panel F-14 and F-15

3: Circut #16 Red/Lt Green and Circut #252 Brown/Pink wire combined to one connection, hot in start only. Goes to Ignition coil.

4: Circut #16 Red/Lt Green and Circut #20 White LB Hash wire combined in one conection hot in run only.

5: Circut #32 Red/Lt Blue wire, hot in start only. Goes to neutral saftey switch, and starter solenoid.

6: Circut #237 Black/Lt Green Hash wire Hot In run and Accessory.

7: Circut #977 Purple/White wire Hot in start goes to brake warning lamp.
thanks, but I don't need to know what each wire actually does- what I DO need to know is, WHERE in the plug each wire snaps in- because the wires were removed from the plug

Old 01-23-2007, 02:21 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
There should be Pin numbers and letters located either on the plug or switch itself.

Could you confirm which ones you have please?

The ignition switch or connector will have either these marks at the respectable pins...

BATT: 2 of these for the Yellow Wire Battery input

I1: Hot in run. Red/Lt Green wire

I2: Hot In Start. Brown/Pink

A1: Hot in Run and ACC: Black/Lt Green

A2: Hot In Run: Grey/Yellow

5T: Hot In Start: Red/Lt Blue

P1: Hot In Start: Purple/White Ga

P2: Not used for diesel only

or they will be just numbers:

1: Hot in start: Purple/White

2: Hot In Start: Red/Lt Green and Brown/Pink

3: Hot in run and acc: Black/Lt Green

4: Hot In Run: White/Blue Red/Lt Green

5: hot in start: Red/Lt Blue 2 wires

6: Hot In Run: Grey/Yellow

7: Battery input: Yellow wire

8: Battery Input: Yellow wire

Ths is as far as my schematics go I'm afraid.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:16 PM
cantedvalveFord
Senior User
http://i10.tinypic.com/2rzwbo4.jpg

http://i18.tinypic.com/2mwt1c1.jpg

ok, I uploaded pics to tinypic, you can click on the first 2 links above to view them, in case this post does not display the pictures

I will look at the plug and switch, and see if the pins are labelled

the pics show the switch on top of the column, looking up at it from the floor, with plug still plugged in

then the plug itself after unplugging it from the switch

the first time I pulled this down, there was a wire that PULLED OUT of the large plug- I put it back in the closest slot it appeared to be near- obviously that was NOT the right slot, because then it eventually drained and killed my battery- and there is an amp drain on the battery whenever the plug it put in now, tested it with my ammeter

the previous owner had been pulling wires out of the plug, and putting them back in, and now I'm wondering if more of them are in the wrong spots as well

if someone could just pull this plug down and post a pic of it, or someone has a column or wiring harness for parts and post the pic, I can use it as a pattern to wire this plug

Last edited by cantedvalveFord; 01-23-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:27 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cantedvalveFord
if someone could just pull this plug down and post a pic of it, or someone has a column or wiring harness for parts and post the pic, I can use it as a pattern to wire this plug
It's not as easy as that because each year is wired slightly different. According to the diagrams.

1980 is different than 1981

1981 is different than 1982

1982 is different than 1983

1983 is different than 1984-1986.

You will need someone with a 1982 that is willing to take their truck apart enough to photo that connector. Most people are not going to be willing to take their own trucks apart when they are in good working order just to take a photo of a component.

Hopefully the pin numbers are printed on the connector or switch. Then it's just simply match the wires to the pin numbers.

Quick Reply: 1982 F-150 need ignition switch picture-wire placement-on column