1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Request for opinions and information

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-1999, 03:40 PM
J. Johnson

I recently purchased a ’61 Uni-body (I know technically wrong forum but I feel more of an alliance here). This is my first “vintage” vehicle. The truck is in remarkably great shape giving its age (Montana is Valhalla for older vehicles, not ever any winter salting). I desire to keep the truck in as original condition as possible, though I have no allusion to start on the show circuit, I just want a great looking old truck that I can feel comfortable in its reliability if I chose to drive cross state or even further in.

It has a 292 4-sp (granny first) with 2-piece (three universals) driveline. I am interested in learning if it is possible to mate up more modern transmission, or if it can be rebuilt to accept more “cruise-friendly” gearing. I assume also that the rear gearing should as well be rebuilt/altered in accordance with the possible transmission work.

I further am seeking any published sources of various rebuilding/restoring of older trucks (general mechanics) to include above mentioned transmission and rear axle work, also possible softening of the ride without going into the IFS area. I further am interested in getting into my 292 (Y-block in general) for objective of better performance and gas mileage.

I would welcome any and all opinions, correspondence and even ridicule regarding this and any other possible topics. Thanks very much in advance.

Old 10-28-1999, 06:08 PM
Barry McCloskey