Montana Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Sailor_Roy

Montana Chapter - Answer These Questions Please

Old 04-05-2007, 10:39 PM
mont974x4
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Might have to check those out. I got spoiled having German beer when I was stationed there so now I've been trying microbrews.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There are only so many ways to brew a beer and follow Reinheitsgebot.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:50 PM
mont974x4
Posting Guru
lol yeah but how many American brewers actually know that?

Old 04-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
I think Bayern Brewery in Missoula advertises following Reinheitsgebot, but they craft more than a few beers that violate the rule. I like Bayern's Maibock, its got some flavor and I can only have one at a time, but they are tasty.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:03 PM
mont974x4
Posting Guru
I don't generally drink more than 1 or 2 these days anyways. When I got to Germany the nurse that did our med in-processing told us we couldn't drink all the beer in Bavaria...so being an old paratrooper and field artillery guy I took that as a personal challenge. She was right but I gave it a go. lol

Old 04-30-2007, 10:22 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Anytime ya want to ditty bop on up to Kalispell, let either Tim or I know and one can call the other. I'm unemployed and broke as a beggar, but I think I can always come up with a couple sheckles for some coffee!
My cell is 1-406-212-0753 or leave a message at the home phone... 406-756-9389.

I'm only working in the yard this summer and only a couple hours a day at most, before my leg quits working or becomes too painful to do much more. I seriously doubt I'll even be able to do the County Fair this year. Heck... we didn't go last year and that was before my back and leg did the final number on me. It was close though... I was spending all my non-working hours, laying in bed with a book or a movie, long before my leg did it's thing.

Anyway... I'm always happy to meet another FTE'r if I can find the time...and usually I should be able to.

OH... brews.... we've got several micro-breweries in the valley. They all make some pretty decent beverages, near as I can tell. But, since I take so much meds, I've pretty much given up on embibing even a beer now and again. Glad water's still available!

Old 04-30-2007, 10:29 PM
mont974x4
Posting Guru
I know there's a pretty good pizza joint up there..a bit out of town tho. I have some friends that live up there and last time I made a trip up they took us out to supper and pool.

I hear ya on the meds and beer tho. When I'm on darvocet or vicodin etc (or sleeping pills) I don't push it any more. Thankfully I usually don't flare that bad more than 3-4 times a year and my enbrel and advil are enough to keep things somewhat managable so long as I don't push myself too hard most days.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:25 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
You are a bunch of old codgers... my dad says that a lot, I hope it means somethng old and rickety....

I'm still young and bullet and fire proof...

Old 05-01-2007, 08:51 AM
mont974x4
Posting Guru
LOL I'm old beyond my years...too many hard miles.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:12 AM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Here are my $.02 and what I learned from joining the Northern California Chapter of the FTE.

I grew up in Billings and lived in Missoula for 10 years before moving to California for work. I love the Big Sky State and still have roots in it. I've posted in this forum a few times for recommendations of Billings area shops and appreciate Matt's help. I want to see a successful Montana FTE chapter.

Since joining the Northern California Chapter (we are trying to come up with a better name) I've learned a few things about what is helping our chapter and is holding it back. Take what you can from these learnings and I hope some might help you.

First, Northern California is huge geographically. We are talking about an area roughly 450 miles x 250 miles. Even though it is a huge area we try to meet somewhat regularly at various car shows, swap meets, and eachothers' houses. Last week, one member introduced a few of us to using a MIG welder for body work. At most of these meetings, there are usually 4-7 of us, which is not bad considering the amount of driving some members do to get there.

Second, we adopted a Chapter project. We are making a mud racer out of 72 f250. This is giving everyone a chance to work together on a common goal. We are challenging the NV chapter to a race when it is done. While this is fun, it is hard to get people together to work on it at a regular pace.

Third, the same people do most of the work. As with any volunteer group (church, nonprofits, clubs, etc.) the same small handfull of people do 95% of the work. Right now, the mud race truck's engine is at one guy's house and the rest of it at another's since they have the tools and space to do the work. Sadly, they are 200 miles apart and it is hard to get people together to work on them. I bring this up because Northern California has 10+ million people and we still have only a handful of dedicated club members scattered a long way apart. This could be a challenge for our Montana brethren.

Anyway, I wanted to share some lessons learned from down here. I think you have a great core group of people and can make it succeed, but you might feel it is only that core group that does most of the work. Good luck. Maybe I can stop by and say "hi" when I visit family. The Northern California chapter welcomes you to say "hi" if you wander down our way.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:02 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
I think our mud truck would look like an old hay thresher, attached to an old Mack truck with baling twine and duct tape, spewing thick black smoke at full throttle and no brakes. Or at least a contraption from Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome

You have some good points Karl, and while we don't have 10 million people, Montana alone is larger than Northern California and we have Wyoming, North Dakota, and South Dakota that quadruples our size. I'm not sure what to do about it. I know quite a few people that live in Billings and actively post on the boards, yet aren't members or don't post here at all. Its a challenge.... you are right about that...

Old 05-01-2007, 10:04 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
We have a similar challenge that there are lot of Nor Cal people posting who are not members of our group.