Sponsored by:

Manual vs Auto Hub Lock

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 11:26 PM
re_fill
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual vs Auto Hub Lock

I have read here that some prefer the manual locking hubs vs the auto (push button) and I could never understand why. I now have first-hand experience why the push-button hubs (Auto) would be MY preference from hereon:

I was travelling on the freeway (2 lanes either way separated by a 60' grass median) at approx 100km/hr, or 60-65mph when a rather large cottonwood blew down across the freeway. I had very little time to stop, actually considering trying to run under it before it hit the ground. I chose correctly and slammed on the breaks, and hit the tree just as it hit the ground. I looked in my rear view mirrors (windshield and door) and saw an unloaded low-bed skidding towards me and jack-knifing. He was in the left lane and I was in the right. As his tractor spun, his dual axle was twisting into my lane and I knew he wasn't going to stop, he was going to go right over me. I tried to drive over the tree (it was perfectly perpendicular to the road) but my wheels spun. The road was dry. I hit my 4WD button but that was futile as my manual hubs were not locked.

I may have been able to drive over the tree (it forked into 6 smaller trees about 10" diameter) but my front wheels just kinda sat there while the rear wheels spun. I looked again and grabbed the steering wheel and hung on. This was gonna leave a mark!

He smashed into my ***-end and pushed me up onto the trees. The impact straightened him out, but the force buckled his front outer drive wheel into the inner wheel and subsequently his inner wheel buckled into his axle. He had to get towed.

My spare tire frame dislodged and swung around and smashed the passenger side. My canopy buckled, both window panels disintegrated. My bumper is now married to my axle. The drive shaft pushed the tranny, transfer case, and engine ahead so far the fan won't turn. The tail gate looks like the inside of a goalie mask.

My saving grace was cheap after-market seats which were in the truck when I bought it. The reason I say that is because there was no head rests on the seats. He hit me so hard the seat broke backwards. If it didn't break, my neck would have. My head hit the back seat when the seat broke and I popped back up. The broken windows (and something else, not sure) cracked the back of my head open. I spent over 3 hours in the hospital getting glass removed from the back of my head. The impact dislodged my cd-player from the dash, broke my console from its mounts, and my "rebound" forehand smash cracked my dash. I have 2 broken knuckles, a sprained elbow, a gashed skull, a stiff neck, and headaches I would only wish on my ex-mother-in-law.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

: April, $180, carpeting, speakers, rear window and torsion bar (self)
: July, $120, front axle u-joints, bearings and seals (self inflicted bleeding knuckles)
: September, $80, front brake shoes (self)
: November, $750, oxy senser, fuel pressure regulater (towing and shop)
: November, $350, rear main seal, tranny repair (shop)
: December, $250, ignition module (towing and shop)

and a bunch of other miscellaneous crap.

I'm not sure if I want them to right it off or not????????? I hate to give up on an unfinished project.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I firmly believe that if my hubs were push-button automatic, I would have made it over the hump and would not be writing this pain-killer induced rant. And I wouldn't be driving a rental Ford 500. I'll post pics when I get them back.

I want my Bronco back

Old 01-12-2007, 11:40 PM
dwoodler
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to hear that you made it through this one Refill! Most people who have an 18 wheeler hit them aren't on speaking terms with anyone but St. Peter anymore. Take my brothers word on this - he drives them for a living.

Since the snow storms here in Alberta ( I live near Edmonton ) I've had my manual hubs locked in every day for the last two weeks - just in case! lol Hopefully I won't have anything like the experience you did.

Woodler

Old 01-12-2007, 11:49 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally I prefer the push button 4x4 for street snow/ice use as well as limited off roading.

I do prefer the manual hubs though for heavy off road usage, as I have had some auto hubs unlock when really trying to back up hard. Possibly it was because the hubs were damaged, or possibly it was just the way they were designed.

Just what works fo me. Glad to hear that you are still with us, accidents / collisions can sure ruin one's day or life.

David

Old 01-13-2007, 12:23 PM
Majere26
New User
Boy am I glad to hear that you survived that wreck without too many serious injuries. Not many often due when a jack knifing 18 wheeler is involved. I love my Bronco, but trucks can be rebuilt, people are a lot harder to work on.
Incidentally, I have manual hubs on my 91, with the push button 4x4. I don't mind the manual hubs, I tend to leave them locked and ready. Living here in the Illinois area, we sometimes get hit with some nasty weather, and it always seems safer to leave them locked just in case things get a little hairy. I would rather trade the push button 4x4 switch for the older manual lever, but after reading this story, maybe I'll just leave them as is now.
Good luck to you and here's to hoping that this leaves you with nothing more than a repair bill.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:22 PM
lostin90s
Postmaster
I dought they would have engaged , and don't like rocking Forward reverse when stuck.
Well I've had 5 new trucks with auto and around here you get whats on lot . I do'nt offroad and manly highway miles.The auto hubs are junk had 2 sets 92 Ford paid three tow bills Before ford put manual on. The others 94 96 failed between 35000 (first year) and 60000 miles .I swap out to manual on all trucks now . If you drive on road keep them . But if you stress them forget it. Like I said had them on 5 new truck and all left me down. Now the auto transfer case are good till around 120000 in the rust states. then sensors, shift motors ,wiring give fits. You can have push button and manaul hubs . When that starts switch to manual . Good luck

Old 01-14-2007, 11:25 PM
re_fill
Junior User
How Do I....

post pictures?

Old 01-15-2007, 09:47 AM
slickerthanyou
Senior User
Holy crap! Sorry to hear that-Hope you are feeling better. I have manual hubs (warn premiums). I don't do much off-roading, and when i do it's not major as this is my daily driver. When I had auto hubs it was nice--When they worked aside from the racheting sound! I wouldn't go back to them however as they were not reliable enough for me. But they may have worked for you in your prediciment.- Bob

Old 01-15-2007, 03:54 PM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to hear what happened. But becuase you have to go in reverse to engage the auto hubs they wouldn't have help you. And they don't always go in the first time.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:09 PM
adelyser
Elder User
Originally Posted by kenpobuck
Sorry to hear what happened. But becuase you have to go in reverse to engage the auto hubs they wouldn't have help you. And they don't always go in the first time.
I'm not sure where you got this information, but it's incorrect. The auto hubs engage when the front axle-shafts rotate, it has nothing to do with reverse. They will lock with forward or reverse axle-shaft rotation.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, they may have done the trick if you had working auto-hubs.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:50 PM
re_fill
Junior User
I had auto lock hubs on my previous Bronco ('94) and my Expedition ('99) and they never failed to engage.

Anyone know how to post a picture?

Old 01-15-2007, 08:33 PM
adelyser
Elder User
The Expedition doesn't have hubs at all, the front axle-shafts are always turning. It uses a clutch system to engage the front drive shaft, and is a much more robust system.

My auto locking hubs came out in about 30 pieces when I changed the brakes, and when the dealer wanted $230 per hub to replace, the $90 for the pair of my Warn Premiums were the better option IMHO. Much stronger and more reliable when wheeling in mud and snow, which I do often just to get home.

You can post a picture using the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the post window.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:43 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
do you have to have a certain amount of posts before you can post images? my rules tell me i'm now allowed to post attachments

Old 01-15-2007, 10:44 PM
re_fill
Junior User
Originally Posted by adelyser
The Expedition doesn't have hubs at all, the front axle-shafts are always turning. It uses a clutch system to engage the front drive shaft, and is a much more robust system.

My auto locking hubs came out in about 30 pieces when I changed the brakes, and when the dealer wanted $230 per hub to replace, the $90 for the pair of my Warn Premiums were the better option IMHO. Much stronger and more reliable when wheeling in mud and snow, which I do often just to get home.

You can post a picture using the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the post window.
Whatever you want to call it, when I pushed the button, the hubs locked, both in the Bronco and the Expedition. That, as far as I know, is auto locking hubs. They never failed on either vehicle. I didn't have that option on this one. I'm grateful Ford builds a tough frame, If the seat hadn't broken, my neck would have. If I had been able to engage the front hubs that fast (kinda like James Bond) I MIGHT have escaped a ton of hurt, both to the truck and myself.

Incidently, my insurance company informed me today they have classed the truck as a total loss, write off......

I'm not surprised, but a little ticked, It was a work in progress.......

Last edited by re_fill; 01-15-2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:50 PM
re_fill
Junior User
AND......the posting rules says I may NOT post attachments. So how does one post pictures? I have seen others do it.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:22 PM
adelyser
Elder User

Quick Reply: Manual vs Auto Hub Lock