1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Max MicroTuner for Ford 7.3L Diesel Trucks have a question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 02:52 PM
02GrayPowerStroke
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max MicroTuner for Ford 7.3L Diesel Trucks have a question.

If I buy one of these will I need to buy anything else? Or is it safe to run it on a stock truck?

Chris

Old 01-12-2007, 03:08 PM
Jakeman68
Senior User
It is always a good idea if you are going to run a chip to highly consider running at least a set of gauges and really consider a high flow exhaust system. Chips run off of more fuel and causes more boost and higher exhaust temps.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 94F350Turbo
If I buy one of these will I need to buy anything else? Or is it safe to run it on a stock truck?

Chris
Order some gauges or at least a Pyrometer and do a search for DP Tuner or Diesel Innovations. You'll probably decide on one of the two.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:19 PM
GoBigOrange
Junior User
Supertuner

I have a Supertuner and it works fine. I have no complaints with Horsepower, but I'm not addicted yet <grin>. I don't have guages yet so I normally only run the lowest setting. I have had not problems with codes or the like and as far as I know everything is fine. I do have the mufflers off mine and I had 2.5 inch duals from the Cat back (I'm not that crazy about the noise and this way seems quieter). I agree that if you want a lot of bang for your buck you might want the DP of another custom chip, but I'm fairly happy with mine.

John
2003 CC dually 4X4, K & N FIPK intake, Superchips Max Microtuner, 2.5" cat back duals w/o mufflers- soon to have guages and probably fuel mods.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:25 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GoBigOrange
I have a Supertuner and it works fine. I have no complaints with Horsepower, but I'm not addicted yet <GRIN>. I don't have guages yet so I normally only run the lowest setting. I have had not problems with codes or the like and as far as I know everything is fine. I do have the mufflers off mine and I had 2.5 inch duals from the Cat back (I'm not that crazy about the noise and this way seems quieter). I agree that if you want a lot of bang for your buck you might want the DP of another custom chip, but I'm fairly happy with mine.

John
2003 CC dually 4X4, K & N FIPK intake, Superchips Max Microtuner, 2.5" cat back duals w/o mufflers- soon to have guages and probably fuel mods.
i have a friend with an 02 f250psd and a 100 horse super chip..he gets mad cause my little early 99 f350 in the 80 econo dp tuner wont let him pass me

Old 01-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran an SCMT, sold it on ebay for nothing. Started running a DP chip, now I think the SCMT wasn't worth what I sold it for. I don't mean power. Even though the DP is obviously stronger. What I mean is the beast just sounds and runs better. I think the best thing to be done is borrow a plug in tuner, run a DP tune and convince yourself.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:52 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
I have a Supertuner and it works fine. I have no complaints with Horsepower, but I'm not addicted yet <GRIN>. I don't have guages yet so I normally only run the lowest setting. I have had not problems with codes or the like and as far as I know everything is fine. I do have the mufflers off mine and I had 2.5 inch duals from the Cat back (I'm not that crazy about the noise and this way seems quieter). I agree that if you want a lot of bang for your buck you might want the DP of another custom chip, but I'm fairly happy with mine.

John

Ya got to loose that 2.5" dual system... Your exhaust back pressures are thru the roof! I would bet money your EGT's went UP after the addtition of that. really, I have seen it done on many trucks and it never works. Get yourself a 4" turbo back and ditch the cat.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:43 AM
GoBigOrange
Junior User
reply to CSIPSD

CSIPSD,

I plan to get rid of the cat as soon as warranty is out. I'll let you know about the temps w/duals as soon as I get guages in. I may be wrong about the 2.5", they may be 3" because the look pretty big. I am not a big fan of the noise from the 4" or 5" but I'll switch if I have to. I actually did the mod on recommendation from my father in law who has a similar setup so I didn't do a lot of research on it before.
Thanks for the advice,
John

Old 01-15-2007, 09:00 AM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Orezona
Order some gauges or at least a Pyrometer and do a search for DP Tuner or Diesel Innovations. You'll probably decide on one of the two.
I would follow the above advice. I have a buddy here at work that has a Superchips in his '01. He rode with me to lunch last week and he is now saving for a DI set up like mine.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:48 AM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
CSIPSD,

I plan to get rid of the cat as soon as warranty is out. I'll let you know about the temps w/duals as soon as I get guages in. I may be wrong about the 2.5", they may be 3" because the look pretty big. I am not a big fan of the noise from the 4" or 5" but I'll switch if I have to. I actually did the mod on recommendation from my father in law who has a similar setup so I didn't do a lot of research on it before.
Thanks for the advice,
John
Look around on the truck for a sticker that says "catalyst" or "catalyst vehicle". If you cant find that sticker then you can remove the cat with no Issues. But the kitty is not your issue, its the size of the pipe. With a 2.5" or even a 3" system "dual" you have doubbled the bends, and doubled or more the boundry layer air the exhaust has to push thru. You would think that stock is a 3.5" system I am giving it 6" of pipe to push thru... But the bends and static air kills you!