1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Inherited 94 F350 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 02:36 AM
foster0004
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inherited 94 F350 Turbo

I now own a 94 F350 Turbo diesel that has sat for 2 years, and came to me saying that it came from the mechanic, who wasn't able to get it started, but narrowed down the problem to wiring. Now, I am a novice mechanic, so I was wondering if there are any resources for all related wiring diagrams, etc?? I am an engineer by trade, so I thought I could do some testing to try to eliminate any obvious problems. Also, if anyone has any resources that would list some rule of thumb tips/tricks for the 94 Turbo Diesel, I would appreciate any help. WOuld you recommend buying a manual for the engine and truck??

Thanks much...

Old 01-10-2007, 02:38 AM
taisa899
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
definitely buy a manual for the truck. they help out immensely sometimes. As well use the search function and you might get lucky!

Jim

Old 01-10-2007, 07:04 AM
F350_Hauler
Elder User
Thumbs up

Welcome. Don't buy a manual just yet. Spend the next couple of nights checking out this site and Steve Baz's stuff. Buy a CPS (camchaft positioning sensor) off e-bay immediately for around $40-$50. Even if you don't need it today, the day will come when you do need it. Change your oil and filter making sure that your HPOP reservoir is filled up. Change fuel filter and make sure canister is filled up before putting top back on. Clean all connections and charge batteries really good with a 3-10 amp trickle charge for two days. Check all your fuses, paying close attention to #22 under your hood. Try to locate someone else who has a PSD and see if he has a tuner that can read the codes from your truck's computer. Do this before you unhook the batteries. If you can't or if you already unhooked the batteries, no big deal. Have fun with it. Before you know it the truck will be running and then you'll be modifying it for more power and better performance.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:41 PM
foster0004
New User
Thanks to both of you that responded! The batteries were out when I got it... I will begin from scratch and check/do all the things you suggested and do the searches on this site, and others... Thanks again...

Old 01-10-2007, 11:54 PM
dinikin
Senior User
Also check the start relay located on the right fender well, on the inside, next to the right battery.

Also, providing more details might help you get more precise responce.
Like:
The engine turns over but does not fire up.
The engine pufs but cannot continue running.
Etc.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:47 AM
DAVID'S97F250HD
Posting Guru
WHAT YOU JUST GOT WOULD BE the most fun of all jobs, you recieve ths truck, the hitch is you have to get it going, the day you get it going will be one of the best days ever.

Is it for sure a powerstroke though???

Old 01-11-2007, 06:57 AM
F350_Hauler
Elder User
Originally Posted by DAVID'S97F250HD
WHAT YOU JUST GOT WOULD BE the most fun of all jobs, you recieve ths truck, the hitch is you have to get it going, the day you get it going will be one of the best days ever.

Is it for sure a powerstroke though???
Excellent catch. I went too fast to think about that. It may not be a Powerstroke(direct injection). It may be an IDI(indirect injection pre-powerstroke turbo). Once we determine that we can help you accurately. Is there an oil-fill pipe that stands up 4" tall on top of the front of the engine, or is there a little plastic screw cap oil fill on the passenger side valve cover?

Old 01-22-2007, 04:01 PM
foster0004
New User
I checked and found the oil fill cap is on the valve cover, so looks like I have a DI Turbo model. I have a Haynes diesel manual that covers this engine. I will be posting my progress here as I work on it. Thanks for your help so far...

Old 01-22-2007, 04:11 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Inheriting a PSD is better than getting money!! sweet!
like the others have said if you give us step by step problems and then check what is suggested you will get your truck running and you will learn alot!

Old 01-22-2007, 06:17 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by foster0004
I checked and found the oil fill cap is on the valve cover, so looks like I have a DI Turbo model. I have a Haynes diesel manual that covers this engine. I will be posting my progress here as I work on it. Thanks for your help so far...
Where is the turbo? The turbo IDI has it canted off to the passenger side of the engine bay and the Powerstroke has it sitting up on top right in the middle. The IDI also has a "normal" intake manifold....similar to most any other engine you would be familiar with. The PSD does not have an intake manifold at all. Just a couple of small stamped steel runners hooked to a large aluminum 3 way that routes air from the turbo directly into the heads.