Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust/Bed liner

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 04:55 PM
KTNC
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust/Bed liner

I have the factory Ford drop in liner in my 04 F150 and have noticed that over time, where the tailgate part of the liner meets the bottom of the bed where there is no liner, it has rubbed the paint off and is rusting (about 2 ft in length).

I plan on going to the dealer, but it seems to me at least a part of the tailgate liner will have to be removed to prevent this from happening after re-painted.

Anyone else have this problem..?

Old 01-07-2007, 05:43 PM
screwy
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
It's common for drop-ins to do this.

Old 01-07-2007, 06:33 PM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
drop ins are bad !!! they do a lot of rubbing, and trap water or other debris underneath them as well. both of which will speed up rusting. the best liner is a spray in by far...... based on what the stealership charges you to have it fixed and painted, you may be better off spending a little more and having a spray in done.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Chris1450
Senior User
I got my line-X done for $300... do yourself a favor and make the dealer take the drop in from you and go right down to line-X and have it done.. mucho better.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:50 PM
vochy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't worry about the paint in your bed, you bought a truck. My opinion (take it for what its worth) about spray on liners is that they are junk. They are easy to scratch off, chemicals i.e. gas and oil cause them to dissalve and bubble, and they are way over priced.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Chris1450
Senior User
vochy, line-X has a life time warantee. If anything messes it up, I will be back to get it fixed. The research I have done leads me to believe that the spray in liners will do just fine. plus the slip resistance is very nice when your standing in the bed

Old 01-08-2007, 08:20 AM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
i agree with Chris1450..... most spray in liners have the warranty and are repaired for free in the rare event that they need it. i have a reflex liner in my last truck, and it was worth every penny. just be aware of some of the "do-it-yourself" liners... yes, they are easy to scratch, chip, fade, etc, etc... maybe that is what vochy is referring to. my advice is to get one professionally done with a lifetime warranty.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:37 PM
O1COBRA
Senior User
Ill agree as well. My Line-X has no scratches, marks, etc and I have put about everything in my bed that could possibly do damage. There has been times that I was sure that I scratched through it with something and not even a mark. There has been times that I have left things in the bed that have actually stained the line-x but one good rain or spray down took care of that. I recommend to everyone that its the first thing that they do to their truck.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:14 PM
05OVALOWNER
New User
I have a Reflex liner also, it is 1/4 inch thick and is awesome. It has been in the truck for over a year and has not faded as some other liners do. It has good grip and at the same time not rough like some spray in liners. Lifetime warranty is a definate plus.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:29 PM
edgl
Elder User
Vochy, I agree with you.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:17 AM
vochy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I'm glade sombody does. If I were to get a spray in it would definatly be line-x. However, after talking to a dealer when a friend got his truck done, the warrenty only covers covers workmanship and material flaws. If you throw a piece of steel in your bed and scrtch off the liner it is not covered, or if you spill gas or oil on it and don't wash it off in X amount of time and it bubbles off its not covered. But I'm sure they would fix it for a fee! As for my self, I will stick with my drop in and have paint scratched off were I can't see it.