Texas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: LibTimothy

94 Ranger head gasket/possible cylinder head crack?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 10:09 AM
merriem
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 Ranger head gasket/possible cylinder head crack?

While on a short trip, lots of white smoke out backside and what looked like steam from under hood and stopped immediately. Added water to overflow well as it was too hot to pull off the radiator cap. Drove about two more miles. More smoke, then engine started to cut out so I pulled over and stopped immediately again. Called AAA for help and was towed to nearby shop. Apparently a former mechanic didn't trim radiator hose when it was replaced for annual tune-up and regular checking out. Hence it had been laying on a belt for about a year that wore a hole in the hose. Eventually radiator lost fluid (instrument panel indicator never showed as running hot). The ruined hose was shown to me. This repair shop said the cylinder head may be cracked as well but was sure head gasket blown from the radiator overheating. Also that while top of cylinder head might be cracked so could the bottom half. Quote was more than I could afford at the time with no promise it would not go higher, so had truck towed 70 miles to home. 94 Ranger has 79,000 miles. Using the written quote from the first shop, I obtained a few comparative estimates (sight unseen) from a detailed description of the items noted for repair came in at about half of original estimate! Still pricey though and I'd have to get another tow to closest shop 25 miles away. Guess I need to know if it would be worthwhile to get it fixed? No other problems had in years of ownership as I kept truck in good shape, no collisions. How can I tell if head(s) is cracked for sure if sent to be analysed as price would be a lot less if it weren't? And I was told by one estimating mechanic that it just as likely was not cracked. That the Ranger cylinder heads were excellent and tough and often used in racing cars. I’m very willing to pay for gasket replacement and the normal machining of the heads as well as the other reasonable associated repairs such as radiator cleaning, fluid replacement, spark plugs, etc. But I’ve had unethical shops in the past. I'm a mechanically ignorant senior woman. Y'all get the picture? I sure would welcome some advice. The Ranger is a second vehicle as I have a 2003 SportTrac in good working order.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:21 AM
ol yeller
Elder User
If you are in the DFW area do not go to any of the irving blvd or industrial blvd shops in Downtown Dallas. The is a guy in Hurst called Mouser's automotive and they are a family owned shop and have been real good and reasonable.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:32 AM
merriem
New User
94 Ranger repairs

Thank you for your reply. I live in the Decatur/Bridgeport area and am thinking of using Rae's Service, Inc. They seemed honest in their estimate and are always very busy when I drive by to go to Weatherford or Lake Worth on the 199. Any knowledge of them? The ones you recommended are very far away from me. Your comments are very much appreciated.