1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Wind noise part II

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 10:18 AM
brider
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wind noise part II

I have a wind noise problem that MIGHT be related to the previous thread, but I didn't want to steal his spotlight:

'66 F250 CC 2wd: Wind noise is more of a "whistly" noise rather than a "howly" noise, and I thought it was coming from the big truck-type rearview mirrors, but It's such a sharp noise, it "looks" like it's coming from the upper front corners of the windshield. When I crack the window an inch or two, the whistling subsides to a MUCH less harsh actual wind noise from the window and outside m9irror.

So if the whistling changes when I open the window, it's NOT the mirrors, right? It must be some leak in the cab, as suggested in the previous post?

Why does it LOOK like it's coming from the upper corners of the windshield? I can't get it to change sound when I run my hand all over the inside of the cab in the corners.

Very annoying!

Old 01-02-2007, 11:24 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
What shape is the weather stripping in? That is an issue with my truck.

John

Old 01-02-2007, 11:58 AM
brider
More Turbo
The weatherstripping all around is in pretty good shape. When it's whistling, I run my fingers along the windshield edges to see if there's a change in sound as my finger passes over a leak; nothing. I suppose I should do the same around the door edges.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:26 PM
airharley
Postmaster
Check the vent window seals as your driving. All you have to do is pull the handle a little bit. The noise can come from all sorts of places including the cowl drains on the bottom of the cab floor just behind the fenders.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:17 PM
brider
More Turbo
Cowl drains? Where are they again? I've never heard of such a thing...

Old 01-02-2007, 09:24 PM
clancassidy
Freshman User
I'd recommend using some of that blue painters masking tape (no residue when removed) and cover all suspect areas around your windows. If the noise gets better, you're on the right track. Start peeling the tape of piece by piece until it comes back. I haven't actually tried this but it should work.

Good luck.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:50 PM
airharley
Postmaster
The cowl drains are under the cab. To find them crawl under and look between the front of the door and cab mount and directly below where you think the interior kick panel vent doors are. You should see a small hole unless it is clogged with dirt and leaves. One trick I do to clean them out is stick my hand down the vent door until I feel the bottom and pull as much out as I can. A little advice though, DO NOT blow them out with compressed air. You wont be able to breath if they haven't been done before.