Sponsored by: Moser

hazards and backup lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 09:12 PM
pedrorairez
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hazards and backup lights

hello again have a question have a 75 f150 automatic 360 v8 truck and having a problem with my hazard light it doesnt turn on was wondering if there a fuse related to that also when I put the truck on reverse the backup lights don't go on is there also a fuse related to that. does anyone have a diagram on how the hazards and backup lights function

Old 01-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The Combination NSS/BU light switch on an automatic has power going to ONE side of the switch and is actuated when the GEAR selector is placed in Park/Neutral

or Reverse to activate each circuit as it is located on the steering column under the dash.

as shown here from looking up at it from the floor

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...oid=22109&.jpg

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...oid=30132&.jpg

http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/78FuseSpecs1.JPG

Last edited by Torque1st; 01-11-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:50 AM
pedrorairez
Junior User
hazard and turn signals

hey mill beside the fuse box is there something called a hazard flasher and a turn signal flasher related to my problem I check the fuse and change some out but still dont have the hazard light working or turn signal. I notice that underneath the the dash there is a round fuse about 2 inch long with 2 terminal is that a hazard flasher and if so looks like where another of those should be is missing maybe for my turn signals not sure.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Mil1ion
New User
The Hazard flasher is mounted in the Fuse box.
The TS flasher is mounted to ther left kick panel shown here.

http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=83882

Last edited by Torque1st; 01-11-2007 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Old 01-04-2007, 08:58 PM
pedrorairez
Junior User
Hey mil if I replace the fuses and flashers and still the hazard and turn signal doesnt work could it be its just not wire at the steering column. also how do i test the back up light to see if it should be working you posted a diagram of the neutal safety switch and thats also what activated the backup lights whats is that gauge pin hole for.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Mil1ion
New User
That gauge pin is for adjusting the NSS to its proper spot.

How to:
Chock wheels
Loosen shifter linkage
Place Trans in neutral
Place column shifter arm in Neutral
Loosen NSS
Place drill bit in gauge pin hole so it can pass thru it.
Tighten NSS
remove bit
Tighten shifter linkage

To test B/U lights run a 12v jumper wire to harness to bulb.

If they don't illuminate > check bulb and harness

Old 01-09-2007, 01:03 AM
pedrorairez
Junior User
backup light

hey mil fix my brake problem replace the master cylinder I guess the old one had a internal leak. anyways my back up lights work when I but it on reverse but i have to hold it a certain way beause if i let it go the backup light will go off its like the shifter needs to be more to the left is there a way to fix that tried to move switch more to the right at the bottom of the steering column but that didnt work can it be the switch is just worn out. also i had ask you about that gauge pin hole what is that for again. is it suppose to be empty just a hole. still havent got to the hazards and turn signals and stop light.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Mil1ion
New User
That hole is for adjusting the NSS and Backup light switch to the gear shifter so you don't have to do what you just describing you're doing ...(holding the gear shift a certain way to get the lights to come on).

I gave you the instructions for adjusting it already if you do what I suggested......the lights will come on when the shifter is in Reverse position.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:14 PM
tractoman
Senior User
Also, if after you adjust the NSS, the back up lights don't work you may have to clean the contacts in the switch. I took mine apart and found the ball bearing shaped conductive roller worn down so mucj it would not make good connections before. I cleaned it all up and re oriented the roller and it has been fine since. The switch can be carefully opened and put back together b ut be careful of flying springs when you get it open.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Mil1ion
New User
His is on the column.....Pre-78 auto.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:59 AM
tractoman
Senior User
Yes, I know he is on the column. I was able to open very carefully the switch from under my column and clean and repair the contacts inside. It must be done with caution so as to not lose the internal parts. The metal cover can be taken off of the plastic piece and it comes apart to expose the internal contacts.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:10 PM
pedrorairez
Junior User
hey found out why my turn signals and hazards dont work all the wire were cut at the steering column so went yesterday to get a turn signal switch from the junkyard hopefully it works. did someone on this forum say that the stoplight switch is somehow connected to the turn signal switch. if so maybe that why my lights dont go on when I brake. also picked up a nss switch going to swap that out also see if that works better than the one I have now.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Yes practically all the wiring goes through the TS switch.

But your symptoms didn't appear to me to be related

Old 01-16-2007, 02:13 PM
pedrorairez
Junior User
well replace my turn signal switch i pick up from the junkyard it starting working but not 100% only my front passenger light was blinking nothing else same think with the hazard light on the front passenger light was flashing also in the instument cluster only the left arrow light was flashing. so I just order a new turn signal switch from blue oval should be getting it a day or 2 so once i replace it i will post back with status.

Quick Reply: hazards and backup lights