Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What did I just break?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 01:14 PM
dcwhipple
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What did I just break?

To the left of the fuel filter, there are 2 cylindrical black objects with 4 electrical connections on the top of them. I just busted a post off of the back one tightening the nut.<O</O

1) What is it?
2) Can I get it at AutoZone or do I have to wait for the parts dept to open at ford?<O</O

<O</O
No fun today!
Dan<O</O

Old 12-31-2006, 01:36 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Sounds like you just broke one of the relays for either the glow plugs or the intake air heater.
NAPA part number GP-109

Old 12-31-2006, 02:08 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
By back one if you mean the one closest to the windshield it is the Glow Plug Relay. The one closest to the radiator is the IAH.

GP-110 is the one for our trucks but cost more the 109 is a sub but read this before deciding to use it.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...71&postcount=8

Last edited by Uzumati; 12-31-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:26 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by amiller93
By back one if you mean the one closest to the windshield it is the Glow Plug Relay. The one closest to the radiator is the IAH.

GP-110 is the one for our trucks but cost more the 109 is a sub but raed this before deciding to use it.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...71&postcount=8
Wow, I hadn't read that post before. I've been running a 109 for about a year now.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:24 PM
dcwhipple
Junior User
Exclamation

OK...went to AutoZone and they said it was a starter solenoid. He pulled it out of the box and it was almost an exact match. I finished changing my HPOP O-Rings and replaced the broken part with the starter solenoid. The truck started without issue.

I now pull my front tires to blow out around the anti-lock break sensors and fix a broken vacuum line going into the drivers side hub. Now that's done, I go back to start the truck and the batteries are dead!

What the heck happened???????

EDIT: They gave me a Duralast F491.

Last edited by dcwhipple; 12-31-2006 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:36 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
OK...went to AutoZone and they said it was a starter solenoid.
It may be similar and one may work, but it's definately not what you broke.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:40 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
The starter Solenoid is attached to the inner fender behind the pass side battery right next to the vacumn pump. Not only did he tell you wrong he gave you a solenoid that energizes differently and your glow plugs have been On since you hooked it up.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:42 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Originally Posted by amiller93
The starter Solenoid is attached to the inner fender behind the pass side battery right next to the vacumn pump. Not only did he tell you wrong he gave you a solenoid that energizes differently and your glow plugs have been On since you hooked it up.
Hazoly Crap! And he's not logged in right now. How long can they last if they're on?

Old 12-31-2006, 05:51 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Well his batts are dead so they outlasted them. Hopefully he will log back on before replacing or charging them

Old 12-31-2006, 05:56 PM
GREGROB
Senior User
GOD THOSE GUYS ARE STUPID SOMETIMES.

I'll tell you this, they would be giving me a new set of batteries and a new set of glow plugs AND pay for them to be installed.

I would raise ABSOLUTE HELL with that store.

Old 12-31-2006, 06:04 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Hopefully it works out without too much damage. Now we know why we listen to eachother on FTE.

Old 12-31-2006, 06:09 PM
dcwhipple
Junior User
Well..as soon as the batteries died, I pulled the cable off the batteries and started slow charging the drivers side one. I also took the starter solenoid off and took it back. Autozone had nothing else and NAPA was closed so I went to Advanced. For my truck they only listed this $275 monsterous steel thing that definately was not it. The only thing they had close was a GP Sorenson MR99 Solenoid which they said fits the older trucks. I bought it because it looks very similar to the description of the GP-109 that was refered to earlier. What to do? I have to move the truck so I figure I install, move and then pull the battery cable again until tomorrow.

The new solenoid has an "S" side and an "I" side for the two smaller posts...anyone know how that would relate to my truck?

BTW...I did initially tell the guy in AutoZone that I needed a Glow Plug Relay and even brough in the part...he still sold me the starter solenoid...last time I trust them...

Old 12-31-2006, 06:12 PM
mrfixit64857
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by GREGROB
GOD THOSE GUYS ARE STUPID SOMETIMES.

I'll tell you this, they would be giving me a new set of batteries and a new set of glow plugs AND pay for them to be installed.

I would raise ABSOLUTE HELL with that store.

I would think the battery cables would have sparked like crazy on re-hook?
If they didn't give ME all of the above, I would be giving them that relay thru their WINDOW, I do believe... and I'm not given to violence!

Old 12-31-2006, 08:21 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Originally Posted by dcwhipple
Well..as soon as the batteries died, I pulled the cable off the batteries and started slow charging the drivers side one. I also took the starter solenoid off and took it back. Autozone had nothing else and NAPA was closed so I went to Advanced. For my truck they only listed this $275 monsterous steel thing that definately was not it. The only thing they had close was a GP Sorenson MR99 Solenoid which they said fits the older trucks. I bought it because it looks very similar to the description of the GP-109 that was refered to earlier. What to do? I have to move the truck so I figure I install, move and then pull the battery cable again until tomorrow.

The new solenoid has an "S" side and an "I" side for the two smaller posts...anyone know how that would relate to my truck?

BTW...I did initially tell the guy in AutoZone that I needed a Glow Plug Relay and even brough in the part...he still sold me the starter solenoid...last time I trust them...
Glad to hear that idiot's part didn't cause you any damage.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:32 PM
BuickTurbo
Elder User
Hey Kwik....I never noticed this before, but you are a fairly sexy fellow.

Happy New Year FTE.

I don't really have to explain that the comment above is satire....right!?

Quick Reply: What did I just break?