1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

no guage or brake lights on my 60 F-100

Old 04-10-2001, 10:55 PM
old no bed
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that the problems probably aren't connected with each other but i cant get the guages to light up and none of my fuses are out. I also cant get my brake lights to work. My tail lights are trailor lights that are bolted to the bumper and both blinkers work. So as you can see I'm stumped.

http://www.geocities.com/to_use_and_abuse/truck.html

Old 04-11-2001, 08:14 AM
copeina
Senior User

It looks like that is all original wiring. Check for corrosion or broken wires, or better yet, make yourself a new harness and know for sure (safer than a fire).

If the gauge and tail lights are on the same switch, it could also be your light switch is corroded or dirty. Maybe the problems are connected after all.

Good luck!
Kris Taylor
Winnipeg, Canada
1950 F-47

Old 04-11-2001, 09:34 AM
Kenny
Cargo Master

For the brakelights, you might have a bad stop light switch. It is located at the end of your master cylinder. One of the two wires should be "live" all the time. You can bypass the switch by connecting the two wires together and see if your lights work. If they light, it means your switch is bad. If they still don't light, check the bulbs, then sockets, and connections with a test light. If you still have no luck, You may have to trace the wire to find the problem source. For the gauge lights, it could be your headlight switch as kris had said, or bad bulbs (unlikely they will all go bad at once), or bad ground. Did you try turning the light switch **** all the way to the left? (Sometimes we overlook the simple things) Good luck, and please let us know how it turns out.
Kenny

Old 04-12-2001, 12:36 PM
jerry56f250
New User

Your gauges & taillights should be on the same circuit. Check your wiring back from the switch, particularly any ground connections. Good luck.

Old 04-13-2001, 08:17 PM
MARC
Tuned
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I had the brake light problem in my 59 f-100, my problem was a bad ground. a quick check would be to find a bare spot on the frame, clip a lead to it, run it to the taillight housing and check to see if it fixes the problem.... I still have it set up that way. the truck is sitting in the garage, waiting for the $$ to have hardened seats put in the heads. I blew the head gasket 15 months ago, and put the truck on the back burner.

Old 04-22-2001, 01:33 AM
unibody61
New User

hey, ive gone thru this problem with my 59, the blinkers work, so the bright elements at both rear lights work, so that eliminates the wiring or the bulbs. but ive traced the wires in the wiring diagram to the turn signal. thats the place where it distinguishes between lighting only the rear bulbs (for brakes), or front and rear per side (for blinkers) my 59 had an added aftermarket blinker switch that wasnt right. check your blinker switch. as for the gage lights, the rotary dimmer on the headlight switch may be corroded, some w.d.40 will work wonders for that, if youre sure the bulbs are good.........

Old 04-26-2001, 12:17 AM
old no bed
New User

well i got the brake ligths working. I just rewired the whole cab. I still cant find the glitch in the gauge lights. Its really driving me crazy.

Old 04-26-2001, 12:28 AM
old no bed
New User

Search this Thread