Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Expy vs. Yukon vs. Suburban

Old 12-29-2006, 12:36 PM
fred_79f250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Expy vs. Yukon vs. Suburban

Gentlemen,

Still thinking about a new vehicle. Been looking at Expeditions, and they look pretty close to what I need - all seats down to carry tools and light materials on your average day; a massive beast for towing a trailer when needed; and 7 or 8 seats for those few weeks in the summer when we're numerous.

But, what about Suburbans and Yukons? Same idea, no? I nkow, not Ford. But got any objective opinions on these to fulfill the same needs?

Also, I have the impression they're a little mre bare-bones vehicles than the Expys - maybe more affordable at purchase?

Thanks.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:46 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Don't get a GM. They are not nearly as sturdy and rugged as the Expeditions. Their build quality is pretty crappy and they like to eat intake manifold gaskets

Old 12-29-2006, 02:11 PM
pronstar
Elder User
IMHO the IRS in the Expedition provides a much better driving experience (ride & handling) than the solid-axle in the back of the GMs.

This is a Ford Truck site so you've got to expect some favoritism... :-)

Old 12-29-2006, 03:11 PM
BigMike_951
Junior User
Originally Posted by pronstar
IMHO the IRS in the Expedition provides a much better driving experience (ride & handling) than the solid-axle in the back of the GMs.

This is a Ford Truck site so you've got to expect some favoritism... :-)

I just today was driving in a friends new Tahoe and they are indeed way more rough riding than my Expy.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:16 PM
Ford4-life
Senior User
I say take them for a test drive, Imo I love the new looks of the yukon/suburban but I also love the new looks of the Exp. and the Exp. allways seem to have the 1 up on the competition for overal ride and eveything inbetween. Buy what u like best Id prob go Exp.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:21 PM
Red Star
Posting Guru
Go with Ford.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:36 PM
J..D
Senior User
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Don't get a GM. They are not nearly as sturdy and rugged as the Expeditions. Their build quality is pretty crappy and they like to eat intake manifold gaskets
I think you had to much kool-aid, They are all very good just drive each and pick the one you like the best.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:46 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They're pretty close from what I've read. The GM will be a bit faster, whlie the expy has better third row room because of the design of the IRS. I've also heard rumors about a 4.4 CGI v8 diesel from the land rover brand making its way into the expy in the next few years along with the 6.2 'boss' v8, so that should solve the power problem.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:13 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Assume you're talking about the "extended" versions of Expedition & Yukon as they are the only ones that actually compete with the Suburban.

We recently bought a Suburban to replace our '04 Expy. Test drove both Ford & Chevy and have to admit that, in our opinion, the Suburban has a more comfortable interior, more power (6.0 engine) and a better ride and handling than the Expy EL. Last week I had the opportunity to drive a friend's Expy EL Limited then hop into our Suburban LTZ. This back-to-back comparison re-affirmed my opinion all of the above issues.

Things I like about the Expy more than the Suburban:
2nd row 40/20/40 "bench" seat (GM has a 60/40 bench)
3rd row fold-in-floor seating (GM requires you to remove them)
6-speed transmission (GM has a 4-speed tranny)

Don't get me wrong- both are good vehicles and I think you'd be happy with whichever one you choose. For us, the Suburban just happened to be what we liked best.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:34 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by captain p4
They're pretty close from what I've read. The GM will be a bit faster, whlie the expy has better third row room because of the design of the IRS. I've also heard rumors about a 4.4 CGI v8 diesel from the land rover brand making its way into the expy in the next few years along with the 6.2 'boss' v8, so that should solve the power problem.

Believe it or not, because of the 6 speed, the Ford has actually been a tad quicker in the last few head to head tests I've read!!!

FINALLY!!!!

Old 12-29-2006, 09:43 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
My mom has had a 95 burb, a 99 yukon, and now has a 03 yukon XL

She loves the things, all 4 of us kids and our freinds abused the hell out of em... the 03 hasnt seen as much abuse since we've gotten older..... the 03 has the 8l motor which is VERY powerful...

In my obersvation, the 95 and 99 were built better.... Some of the interier components (latches and what not) seem cheaper (less quality) in the 03...

As far as taking the seat out, it takes less than 1 minute

Old 12-29-2006, 10:30 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
The GMs also have a 6 speed now.

With the exception of the third row seats, which can be irritating to remove if you need them later (ie carrying cargo somewhere and people back) since they gotta go somewhere, I find the Yukon superior to the Expy in every aspect. Haven't been in a late-model Suburban. Folding the seats forward doesn't cost you much space however, and provides some cargo room towards the rear, even more in the XL.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:01 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by RangerPilot
The GMs also have a 6 speed now.

With the exception of the third row seats, which can be irritating to remove if you need them later (ie carrying cargo somewhere and people back) since they gotta go somewhere, I find the Yukon superior to the Expy in every aspect. Haven't been in a late-model Suburban. Folding the seats forward doesn't cost you much space however, and provides some cargo room towards the rear, even more in the XL.

You sure???

http://www.chron.com/class/cars/feat...le/022606.html

Powering a two-wheel-drive Tahoe, the 320-horsepower 5.3-liter paired with a four-speed automatic, has an estimated city/highway fuel economy of 16/22 miles per gallon. Loss is slight with 4WD models, which are rated at 15/21 mpg. The engine burns 87-octane gas, and the "LMG" version is E85 compatible. The engine can run on any combination of gasoline and/or E85 fuel. E85 is a blend of 85 percent ethanol — agriculturally derived, most commonly from corn — and 15 percent unleaded gasoline

Old 12-30-2006, 01:38 AM
jake00
FTE is my crack
I do agree, that with the 3rd seat folded forward, you got ALOT of space

Old 12-30-2006, 03:20 AM
edgl
Elder User
I always wonder why people ask on this board, if they should buy a Ford or a Chevy. What a loaded question. You will not get an honest answer here. This is a Ford board period. Even if Chevy was better, you would not find an objective view here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Expy vs. Yukon vs. Suburban