2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.4L 3V spark plug change question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 10:15 AM
wesFX4
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exiled
What do you mean? Are you talking about if you break the sparkplug yourself? I can see Ford trying to wiggle out of a warranty claim if you break the plug yourself, but thats just not the rule. I know a guy that has kept extended warranty on his 04. I told him when I pulled the plugs on my 05 back in 05 and found what I found to pull his and clean them up. Of course he waited untell last month and 87K on the clock to change plugs. He broke 3. He still has extended warranty and it covered it. It only cost him $100. Another guy that comes and buys grain from us has always let Ford do his maintance on his cars and trucks. At 100K he let them change his plugs. They broke 5. Gave him a loaner and sent him home. He got his plugs changed for $50 and 2 days w/ out his truck. There is a problem. It is very easy to solve. #1 I dont think Ford is doing its part in solving it. All they have to do is go back to 30K plug changes. That should solve most of it. I looked in what is suppose to be an 07 maintance book. I say suppose cause the cover was tore off. The lady has an 07 owner's manual so I assumed it was the right book. It still has 100K plug changes.#2 the mustangs came out with the 3v heads. Last year I bought my wife one. I have found out if it is the same plug design. I'm just going to assume it is and every 15K I'm going to pull 'em and clean 'em.
I know it will alot of money, but if you did'nt get on the early train on this subject then I would take my truck to a dealer for the plug changes. I dont care what someone says. If you let a company work on your truck and they break something they have to fix it. They have to return to you your car in as good shape or better than you brought it in. They have several options they can take. Issurance is one road open for them. Theres a dealer here that if the truck has high miles on it they just pull the heads 1st. I hear it saves them alot of time and money.
Thanks a lot for the advice on cleaning the plugs at 15K intervals, I bought my truck used and have driven it for 14K, using premium fuel, injector cleaner, fuel antifreeze; but nothing seems to help. The dealer price to change the plugs runs $600, when I broke the electrode on #7, the thread came out clean; now getting the head off is the only solution; and it is pricey.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:21 AM
wesFX4
Junior User
Good advice,

Originally Posted by BamaDave
I have an 04 with 72000, I don't think my plugs have ever been changed. What should I do(no warranty).
The best way to go is paying the high price to do it at the dealership ($600 +/-), you will come out better at the end, I broke one off my 06, getting the head off is running $2,600, it will be cheaper to get racing heads on it. If you break it there is not warranty for plugs, if the break it they have to fix it.

Last edited by wesFX4; 03-05-2008 at 10:23 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-05-2008, 10:53 AM
wasa 4246
New User
I have no idea what dealership you went to but you could mention the tool I posted on this thread. They can find out about it at Microprototype Co. the phone # is 989-683-8296. This tool is solving the problem of broken spark plugs. Ford has made a couple of tools to do the job, but it does not work very well and if it does it takes much longer.There are a few dealerships in Michigan that have bought Microprototypes tool and they are very pleased with it.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:22 AM
wesFX4
Junior User
Tks

Originally Posted by wasa 4246
I have no idea what dealership you went to but you could mention the tool I posted on this thread. They can find out about it at Microprototype Co. the phone # is 989-683-8296. This tool is solving the problem of broken spark plugs. Ford has made a couple of tools to do the job, but it does not work very well and if it does it takes much longer.There are a few dealerships in Michigan that have bought Microprototypes tool and they are very pleased with it.
Appreciate your help, just sent the message to the dealership, I am at work 1,330miles away, including the picture that you had posted with the phone number. Hopefully they will get their thinking hats on; the thread came out complete only the electrode did not come out.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:56 PM
exiled
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by F0rdzTuff
Well, your heads are probably going to have to come off when you change them due to the design. They HAVE fixed the problem now (at least on my engine which was built on 231107) and mine uses a completely normal looking sparkplug. No more of the 6" plugs. But, if yours is running good right now, I'd leave the plugs alone until you need to change them. My 2002 plugs have never been changed, and I have over 130,000 miles on it. I bought it with 110,000 miles on it, and the guy who owned it has never changed the plugs. I told myslef I'll run it until I need to change them since the heads will probably have to come off of it.
In 02 they had problems keeping the plug in the head. They had spitters. So I dont think your going to have problems w/ getting those plugs out. I might be wrong but those are different plugs. My 97 where different for sure. I changed them at 125,000 miles and the only difference was the plugs was on top of the head instead of on the side.

Bama I think you should take it to a dealership and let them change them. I talked to the service department today. They quoted me $328 to change the plugs. The plugs cost alittle over $100 anyway the best I remember. I think they run from $10-$15 a piece.

I dont see how a special tool can pull a siezed ground shaft with out taken off the head. You might try to thread something into it and try pulling it out. This is'nt anything special nor new. We've all threaded a broken bolt and used an extractor to remove it. I would think this move on the broken shaft would be rather dicey. You stand to get fine metal shaving down into the chamber. Not to mention breaking the shaft up into several pieces. Just kinds seems to me that if you have a broken plugs might just be safer to pull the head.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:04 PM
JimTex
Senior User
Picked my truck up this eve, the dealer had no real trouble changing the plugs at 65,500. Two required extra soaking but came out with no problem. they followed the TSB and took their time. The tips still looked new and the gap was fine. The mechanic said it would have been fine to go to 100,000. I really think using a tier one fuel is an important factor. They have broken one plug on one vehicle. It had 95,000 on it and did a lot of idleing, an oil field truck.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:05 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by tomdoggie
Lets let this dead horse die is peace.
this thread is 2 yrs old...why won't it DIE

just peacefully go the way of the DoDo and take Chicken Little and his fellows with you

Old 03-06-2008, 02:33 AM
wesFX4
Junior User
We still have broken plugs

Originally Posted by tylus

just peacefully go the way of the DoDo and take Chicken Little and his fellows with you
Maybe you are tired of this thread but some of us are still having the same problems with the broken plugs, which this should mean to you is that the problem has not been corrected or we would not be here trying to get information.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:41 AM
exiled
Posting Guru

The private use sector of the 04s and 05s are just now getting into the 85k -100k miles. They are just now finding out there is a problem getting their sparkplugs out of the heads. 2 yrs ago when the commerical trucks where getting their plugs broken at 65k-100k we where lucky that someone came and made this thread. There was alot of talk then but I've said that later on there will be ALOT of talk about it. People dont go looking for problems w/ their trucks before they have them.
I'm glad this thread is still alive. I've wondered what would come of this problem. 2 yrs ago I brought this problem to the attention of the dealership I do busness with. Yesterday I was told they have it down to an art form. Pulling plugs is'nt much of a big deal to them any more.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:07 AM
WilZol
Junior User

You'll be whining like a little baby when your 06 is getting the heads pulled. Hope someone links you back to this thread.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:37 PM
kild1
Junior User
just bought a 05 fx4 crew and was wanting to about the plug deal ... glad this thread was here !!!!!!

so the head design was changed in 07
so if i had a problem with my 05 and had to remove the heads can/will the new designed heads fit on the 05 so the problem wont happen again ?

Old 03-12-2008, 12:59 AM
wesFX4
Junior User
Use dealership

Originally Posted by kild1
just bought a 05 fx4 crew and was wanting to about the plug deal ... glad this thread was here !!!!!!

so the head design was changed in 07
so if i had a problem with my 05 and had to remove the heads can/will the new designed heads fit on the 05 so the problem wont happen again ?
It will be better to use the dealership even thou is high priced, if they break the plug they have to fix it, I pulled 7 free, one broke the electrode inside the head, had to pull the head which came up very expensive.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:06 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by WilZol
You'll be whining like a little baby when your 06 is getting the heads pulled. Hope someone links you back to this thread.
actually, I understood the risks of the 5.4 3v when I bought my truck. It didn't scare me off. And if/when a plug breaks, I'll slap a new motor in there for the cost of a head removal. if it's been a really good truck, I might invest in the 4v supercharged 5.4...for a little fun

but yes, this thread should just DIE. I realize there is a problem, but you people just feed off of each other and scare the hell out of new people to the site. and then, on "advice" of experts, they are told to pull their perfectly functioning spark plugs...just in case. yeah, just to chance breaking them now, instead of later.

but mainly, why not start a "new" thread. the whole dead horse and stick thing you know

Originally Posted by wesFX4
if they break the plug they have to fix it
good luck with that one. most shops won't offer anything resembling that sort of deal

Old 03-12-2008, 01:19 AM
kild1
Junior User
Originally Posted by wesFX4
It will be better to use the dealership even thou is high priced, if they break the plug they have to fix it, I pulled 7 free, one broke the electrode inside the head, had to pull the head which came up very expensive.
mine has 63k on it so from what i have read the dealer wont cover it if they have one bust... i own a repair shop so i'll be doin the work .. just tryin to find out if the new heads will work ... my mind tells me it should.. a 5.4 head is a 5.4 head ... just makin sure there wasnt something strange about them that would keep them from interchanging

Old 03-12-2008, 03:00 AM
bigGmechanic
New User
I just changed my plugs on my '04FX4 91000 miles. had 3 plugs break the ceramic off in the ground shield. I found that you can push the ceramic down until it hits the ground strap. That gave me enough room to use a 9mmx1 bottomtapto tap the shield and pull it out of the head with the ceramic in it. I made a tool like ford uses to thread and pull the ground shield. The dealer told me that it would be $300 to change the plugs and if any broke, that was charged at $98/hour shop time.

Quick Reply: 5.4L 3V spark plug change question