Whoops

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 09:46 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whoops

Ok, I made a test blender batch about a week ago, got it to work. Now yesterday I ran a 20 gal batch, off(starting out small so as not to waste too much veggie oil, when I get into full swing I will turn out 100 gal at a time!) I let it sit over night to seperate, and this morning, no seperation, its brown and apparently didnt react. So I currently have another batch mixing with some more lye added, so tomorrow morning will tell all.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:40 PM
newr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anxiously waiting

Andy
I also have a 7.3 and am considering converting to BD. So I'm anxious to hear how you are progressing. Keep us posted when you can.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:57 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AndysFords
Ok, I made a test blender batch about a week ago, got it to work. Now yesterday I ran a 20 gal batch, off(starting out small so as not to waste too much veggie oil, when I get into full swing I will turn out 100 gal at a time!) I let it sit over night to seperate, and this morning, no seperation, its brown and apparently didnt react. So I currently have another batch mixing with some more lye added, so tomorrow morning will tell all.

Andy, Sounds like either to little Lye for the FFAs that where in the oil, or there was some water in the oil. How many grams of lye per liter did you use? If you did not make a mistake with your measurements, you probably had excess water. Either way you should be able to re-heat the oil and add extra lye and save the batch.

FABMANDELUX.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:45 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Andy, Sounds like either to little Lye for the FFAs that where in the oil, or there was some water in the oil. How many grams of lye per liter did you use? If you did not make a mistake with your measurements, you probably had excess water. Either way you should be able to re-heat the oil and add extra lye and save the batch.

FABMANDELUX.
Now see....that's why we keep you around here Keeps the rest of us from having to

Old 12-12-2006, 08:09 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cookie88
Now see....that's why we keep you around here Keeps the rest of us from having to

FABMANDELUX.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:15 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Talking

Well I didn't realize you could save a batch, that one has been poored down the hill. However, today, while I was working my dad made another batch, it also didn't react, however he added some lye and saved it, and, IT WORKED!!!!!
I HAVE BIODIESEL.
TOMORROW ON MY WAY HOME I'M GOING TO PUT 20 GAL IN MY GRANDPAS EXCURSION. IT HAS 290,000 MIL, SO IF IT GETS MESSED UP, WHICH I KNOW IT WON'T, BUT JUST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE, IT WON'T BE AS BIG A DEAL.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:53 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
let us know how it turns out. What are you using for a setup? I think after Christmas, I am also get going on making something. What is an "open" processor as opposed to an Appleseed?

Old 12-13-2006, 06:32 AM
jeep1947
Senior User

Way to go ANDY like FAB said our little group is growing. If you have any place near you to get KOH it shure makes it easier using FABMANS formula. I have used it for 7 batches of 50 gallons and not a single problem.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:18 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Trent Fliginger
let us know how it turns out. What are you using for a setup? I think after Christmas, I am also get going on making something. What is an "open" processor as opposed to an Appleseed?
An "appleseed" processor is a closed system, you cannot see the reaction. If you have a "non-reaction" you won't know until much to late, and it makes it harder to recover that batch.

An "open" processor is just that, you can see the reaction happen. If you have a problem [generally some excess water] you can add additional lye and force the reaction to completion, thus saving the reaction and your time.

Open style processors use mechanical mixing, and only require about 30 min of mix time.

All appleseed processors use pumps to do the mixing. Pump mixing is inefficient at best, and generally requires more time to mix. The seminar I went to on Monday had a commercial "appleseed" style processor there, and his process requires a 2 step mixing process. It uses the 80-20 process [which has NOT shone any increase in performance] and requires 2 mixing cycles. the first cycle is a 2 hour mix time with 80 percent of the methoxide, then another 2 hour mix with the last 20 percent of methoxide. What a HUGE waste of time and energy! My open style processor produces a 50 gallon batch every 30 min!

FABMANDELUX.

Old 12-13-2006, 03:34 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
I can see the reaction through the top, but I built mine with old big truck fuel tanks, so it is a closed system. I also am using pumps for mixing for now, but will probably one day have a better mixing system. Is there a chemical you can use instead of water for washing, I plan on making it to where I can evaporate the methanol, but for now do not want to do a water wash.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:47 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by AndysFords
I can see the reaction through the top, but I built mine with old big truck fuel tanks, so it is a closed system. I also am using pumps for mixing for now, but will probably one day have a better mixing system. Is there a chemical you can use instead of water for washing, I plan on making it to where I can evaporate the methanol, but for now do not want to do a water wash.
Magnesol http://www.fryerpower.com/store/page1.html is the chemical to use for dri-washing.

You will need to switch over to mechanical mixing however, as pump mixing Magnesol is a no-no [just ask "Jeep 1947"]

FABMANDELUX.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:59 PM
jeep1947
Senior User

Amen made a believer out of me. Man what a difference mechanical mix for 1 hour let it sit overnight clear as a bell. I dont know what I would do without FAB and the rest of the guys on the forum.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:42 PM
willbd
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mixing Magnesol

Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Magnesol http://www.fryerpower.com/store/page1.html is the chemical to use for dri-washing.

You will need to switch over to mechanical mixing however, as pump mixing Magnesol is a no-no [just ask "Jeep 1947"]

FABMANDELUX.
Jeep 1974,

Whats the issue with Magnesol and pumps?

Old 12-13-2006, 10:27 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
I think I can get it to 150 degrees with a 55 gal drum and two hot water heater elements mounted in the side. If I get it to evaporate then I will build a distillery on top and reclaim it. Has anyone tried this?

Old 12-14-2006, 09:16 AM
newr
Senior User
Talking

Pictures??????
Would love to see your setup, or any others for that matter.

Quick Reply: Whoops