Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 10:22 PM
Chris Smith
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this normal?

05 FX4 Ranger 4.0L with 23k miles. Everything stock except K&N air filter

I understand that the fan must come on when the temp rises however when mine engages is sounds like someone is slamming a door. It is loud enough to notice when driving down the road. Is this normal?<O

When I bought the truck it had 15K miles on it. I really didn't notice the loud slam until about 20K miles.<O

This is my first Ford so to borrow an old catch phrase "I don't know what right looks like."<O

Is there any benefit in installing an electric fan over a belt driven one?<O

Merry Christmas,
Chris

Last edited by Chris Smith; 12-24-2006 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-25-2006, 10:46 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you sure it's not the A/C clutch engaging? It makes quite the "thunk" on these trucks...and there's no way the fan (which is a fluid filled clutch) should make any sort of noise when engaging.

The benefit of an e-fan is rather low. You have to find one, install it, and set it to properly work, and confirm it will work. It won't free up any noticeable horsepower, and will typically take two to cool a larger engine like the 4.0L.

Wendell, a member of this board, had one. I believe he removed it now, but I'm not too sure. He can fill you in if you're still interested.

Are you positive the noise is from the fan?

Merry Christmas to you. Welcome to FTE!

Old 12-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Chris Smith
New User
Thanks.......you da man. As soon as I turned the environmental control switch off the "slamming" went away.ffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>

I keep the switch in defrost most of the time now because in N.C. it hasn't gotten bitter cold yet but cold enough to frost in the mornings. (as bitter cold as it gets for N.C. I know the folks around M.I. or S.D. are more than ready to correct me on what bitter cold is). Anyway, when I move the switch over to A/C the same slamming sound occurred. Turned it off........slamming ends.<O:p></O:p>

<O:p></O:p>

Please school me on something.......what does defrost (in my mind heat generating) have to do with A/C? I looked in the factory manual and didn’t see anything for maintenance on the A/C system. When it dies…I just replace it until it breaks again?<O:p></O:p>

So the A/C clutch engaging with such force is just a Ford’ism of this truck?<O:p></O:p>

It is not that I mind the noise I just want to make sure it is correct. I love the truck. My son’s and I get in it and go everywhere, it is my daily driver, and it seems like I am always hauling something that really wouldn’t quite fit in the wife’s mini-van. I know maintenance is key because I want to give the truck to my boys in 10 years. I just want to know if there is another check I need to add to the list to keep the truck in top condition because what N.C. lacks in cold weather is most certainly made up for by the heat in the summer.
Thanks again,
Chris

Old 12-25-2006, 04:59 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
The A/C gets the moisture out of the air, that's why it's used for defrost (at least, to the extent of my knowledge, if there's other reasons I'm not sure).

The A/C being that forceful isn't a Ford'ism...it's just a new Ranger'ism apparently. The older Rangers don't do it, and I don't hear any of the new F-150, Expy, Super Duty, etc owners complaining about it. Just one of the quirks. It's perfectly normal though.

The only maintenance is to keep the refrigerant topped off, and you'll know if it gets low by the lack of cold air, but that's far down the line from now. If you ever have the A/C system apart, replace all the seals and O-rings, but other than that it's maintenance free.

Old 12-25-2006, 05:19 PM
big red c222
Senior User
I have a 04 150, no noise. If you've got any warranty, and have any time left on it, I would take it in to be looked at. also This site has links to service bulletins that might address the problem. Merry Chrissmith to you.

Old 12-25-2006, 05:35 PM
99F150
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
The ac compressor will run when the out door air temp is 40 degrees or warmer to take the humidity out of the air when you have the selector in defrost, defrost/floor or ac.

I don't know any thing about the noise, my 99 is silent

Old 12-25-2006, 06:07 PM
03 Maz B23
Elder User
The A/C compressor on my 03 makes the same noise when the compressor engages. The A/C system works fine otherwise so apparently it is common on the newer models.

Old 12-25-2006, 09:21 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by big red c222
I have a 04 150, no noise.
As said, it's a Ranger issue. No problem arises from it. Just a loud clutch engagement.

Merry Christmas.

Old 12-26-2006, 08:33 AM
LRanger97
New User
I have a 97 2.3. Mine has a real hard engage also. When I have it on defrost and I'm sitting at a light or something the truck almost dies when it engages. Could this be due to bad plug wires? Or would it be more on the in the compressor?

Old 12-26-2006, 10:30 AM
freirefishing
Postmaster
mine is an 06 and when the ac is turned on my "clunk" is hardly noticable for now. im just trying to figure out my "clunk" from doing a u-turn or a sharp turn into a parking spot, it sounds like metal crunching. coming from the tire area.

Old 12-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Alan D.
Posting Guru
FYI: Wendell removed his after it failed on him. he cursed the electric fans and (at trhe time atleast) recommended nobody uses them. I'ld have to agree that they are a risk, and i dont see the point in using one.

My ac also clunks. but no like a door slam, notciable if enguaging at a light though, but not on the highway, maybe he has some sort of clearance issue. I never worried about the truck stalling niether.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:58 AM
jrfateranger
Senior User
"Please school me on something.......what does defrost (in my mind heat generating) have to do with A/C? I looked in the factory manual and didn’t see anything for maintenance on the A/C system. When it dies…I just replace it until it breaks again?" Quote from Chris Smith

The defroster turns on the a/c to keep the o-rings and other parts lubricated in the winter. This is done because you should turn your a/c on occasionally to lubricate the parts inside and since most people don't do this in the winter, the auto industry has rigged it up so that it does it for you.

Last edited by jrfateranger; 12-27-2006 at 04:01 AM.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:06 AM
FXFrank
Junior User
Mine has a pretty harsh clunk and I have had it checked out and they say it is normal operation

Old 12-27-2006, 08:56 AM
freirefishing
Postmaster
so if its the compressor that makes a clunk, and its an oem ford part, if it was replaced with another make of a compressor will you still have a clunk? i know oem is the way to go but if you found a good aftermerket part with a decent warranty.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:16 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
No that would remove the clunk. It's just the compressor that Ford uses. It's not harmful to operation or the vehicle...so there's no reason whatsoever to get another aftermarket compressor just to get rid of a noise.