1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How many panel owners are there

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 02:56 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 867 Likes on 423 Posts
I don't have a pic at the moment, but you do have your light oriented properly in your picture. There is a "right" and a "left" light. They are made differently to fit the curve of the body. If both your lights are the same, that could be the problem.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:54 PM
Dirt Boy
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Saw this panel for sale in Largo Florida. I think it's a 51 and it's FWD. Looks like a custom interior, with a van seat behind the front seats. It's a little rough and asking $15.000. Phone number; 727-433-4091

Old 01-12-2018, 08:38 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
I'd say it's a 52 judging from the hood. Lots of things not stock like the bumpers, grill, fuel filler, running boards, mirrors, window trim, and wheels--but then I guess it's a custom. The body looks solid, but who knows what's under the primer. The engine, transmission, and interior better be pretty special to justify $15K.

Jim

Old 01-14-2018, 04:20 AM
Tonygtr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1952 panel

Hi all, I have a 1952 panel truck. I have wanted one from the age of 15 but life and family happened and it always seemed to be at the bottom of the list. Well a few years ago one Thursday evening I stumbled across an internet advert for a panel truck in Mount Pleasant North Carolina. I text a buddy who just happens to live nearby and two days later I owned the truck. Got it shipped back to the UK and stored it until September last year. The truck came full of spares and new rubber seals and chrome. It had a crown Vic front end, engine / trans, rear axel, seats and instruments. The fitment of the engine was a little agricultural and the front suspension was welded 2" out of alignment . I cut the engine and front end out, fitted a Jaguar front clip (RHD) and installed a Landrover Discovery TD5 engine mates to a six speed manual Getrag gearbox. It's going to be my daily driver and shop truck for my business. I think you guys call it Dark side? I don't have much choice as during its life the truck has lost most of the original running gear so I am putting in more modern engineering but retaining the original look although quite a bit lower. The plan is when it's done is to take it to Silverstone for a track day.

Tony

Old 01-14-2018, 11:40 AM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas
Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
Tony

Nothing wrong with the darkside, everybody here has their own tastes.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:45 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by gerrymoe
Tony

Nothing wrong with the darkside, everybody here has their own tastes.
We all get along here.

Attached Images  
Old 01-14-2018, 01:33 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,455 Posts
Originally Posted by Tonygtr
Hi all, I have a 1952 panel truck. I have wanted one from the age of 15 but life and family happened and it always seemed to be at the bottom of the list. Well a few years ago one Thursday evening I stumbled across an internet advert for a panel truck in Mount Pleasant North Carolina. I text a buddy who just happens to live nearby and two days later I owned the truck. Got it shipped back to the UK and stored it until September last year. The truck came full of spares and new rubber seals and chrome. It had a crown Vic front end, engine / trans, rear axel, seats and instruments. The fitment of the engine was a little agricultural and the front suspension was welded 2" out of alignment . I cut the engine and front end out, fitted a Jaguar front clip (RHD) and installed a Landrover Discovery TD5 engine mates to a six speed manual Getrag gearbox. It's going to be my daily driver and shop truck for my business. I think you guys call it Dark side? I don't have much choice as during its life the truck has lost most of the original running gear so I am putting in more modern engineering but retaining the original look although quite a bit lower. The plan is when it's done is to take it to Silverstone for a track day.

Tony
Hi Tony, welcome to FTE the best Ford Truck Forum on the world wide Web! We have quite a few Brits here at FTE. Thanks for the story of your truck. But now you need to show us pictures!

I know there are many words you use "over there" that have different meanings than here. As George Bernard Shaw said "England and America, two countries separated by a common language." What did you mean that "the engine was fitment was a bit agricultural."

Old 01-14-2018, 02:54 PM
Tonygtr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Abe, what I mean is without being cruel to whoever fitted the engine, it could have been fitted in a more aesthetically pleasing way 😀
also it had a 116" wheelbase, the crown Vic front suspension had been welded on too far forwards. I have some pictures of it in the p o garage in N C before I set about it with the plasma cutter. I have made new front chassis sections, a new bulkhead, transmission tunnel and floor panels in the last few months.

​​​​​​Tony

Old 01-14-2018, 08:18 PM
avf100
Fleet Mechanic
Received 400 Likes on 188 Posts
What did you mean that "the engine was fitment was a bit agricultural."

I think he was referring to Pennsylvania.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:37 PM
ooraider
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ooraider at the jersey shore with my 54

Old 01-14-2018, 08:55 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by avf100
What did you mean that "the engine was fitment was a bit agricultural."

I think he was referring to Pennsylvania.
Good one! Ha!

Old 01-18-2018, 08:23 PM
pintoplumber
Fleet Mechanic
Received 554 Likes on 266 Posts
I got a panel truck today.

I got a panel truck today, but mine came in the mail. Woodland Scenics HO scale. When I seen it I thought of Jim and I had to order it. I put it at our model railroad club tonight. Dennis

Old 01-18-2018, 08:54 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Nice Dennis. Too bad you can't put a manure spreader beater in for a grille instead of those vertical bars.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:12 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Hey Dennis thanks for remembering. Your little scene, with the gray panel, resembles an actual incident I had with my panel truck on the way to Truckstock.

It was getting toward dusk the first day of my adventure, and I pulled into a little rural church yard a few miles north of Gibson City, Illinois. The church dominated the space sort of like the building you have in your scene. I stopped because I knew my charging system wasn't working, and I was going to swap out my "tired" battery for a fresh one I was carrying.

After the battery swap, as I was getting ready to leave the church yard, I noticed I had a flat tire. I started changing the tire when a guy showed up and offered to help. Pretty soon another guy came and he offered to help too. He was a mechanic (with tools), and it wasn't long before my hood was open (just like in the scene) and the mechanic was checking out my charging system. After a little while, the first guy's son stopped by on his way home from football practice.

So there I was a stranger in a strange place with an old truck and having some issues. Three kind souls stopped what ever they were doing at the time because they saw someone who might need their help. They probably spent an hour with me. My tire was changed (the first guy just happened to have a floor jack in his truck), and they tried their best to fix my charging system. It was getting dark though, and they finally had to give up on getting it to work properly. Before we parted, my new friends gave me some good advice on where to stay for the night and where to have my tire fixed in the morning.

Isn't that a refreshing story? Bad things can sometimes happen, but there are a lot of good people too that cross our lives. People that are ready and willing to pitch in and lend a helping hand without expecting anything in return. And speaking of good people ready and willing to help, Dennis and some of the guys at Truckstock rigged up some temporary wiring for my truck that got me safely home.

Truckstock was a great experience for me. Lots of good memories and people. Thanks Dennis for being one of the "kind souls" that made Truckstock so memorable for me.

Jim

Old 01-01-2022, 09:11 AM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
So, here's a blast from the past for your New Year's Day enjoyment. Do we have any new members with panel trucks to introduce or older members with up-dates to share?

Jim

Quick Reply: How many panel owners are there