1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I bought a 9 inch now how do I get the axles out???

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2001, 05:38 PM
Wayne55
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-Oct-01 AT 06:39 PM (EST)[/font][p]I took the yoke off, got the pinion gear out, now I don't know how to get the axle's out to get to the ring gear. I spun the tires and located a hole on the ring gear. I assume this is important. Unfortunately I don't have the required knowledge at this time to utilize this information. ha ha! I hope its easy to get the axle's out.

I just wanted to know what to do.

Thanks for your time,

Wayne55

Old 10-05-2001, 07:41 PM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the drums off and you will see the 4 bolts and nuts holding the backing plates and axles in. Remove them and pull the axles out. You may need to pull the brake shoes and hardware off first. Sometimes they're stubborn and need a slide hammer to pop them out. There is no clips on the axles like the chevy rears. You didn't need to pull the pinion out like that. After the axles are out, remove the nuts around the chuck and pull the center section out. You didn't even need to take the pinion flange off to do this. it's the easiest rear to work on.

Old 10-06-2001, 01:29 PM
fordmann
Mountain Pass

If you look at your axle where the studs are there is a hole to put your socket(3/4")and extension thru. You can pull them all the way out or about 6 inches will do. Sometimes you need a screwdriver to get the center chunk seperated from the housing. If you are not stout get a friend to help pull the chunk out or you can take blocks of wood to cushion the fall. If you get another chunk to swap in make sure it will take that size axle. 28 spline or 31 spline are the most popular. When you rebuild it. It will go back in in one piece, put a new gasket on and bolt it up. Then slide your axles back in. If the axle has been sitting awhile you might want to replace the seals and have a new axle bearing pressed on.Hope this helps

Fordman

Old 10-06-2001, 03:18 PM
alexdixie
New User