2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

red light on left of dash coming on....

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 03:07 PM
mattsf250
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
red light on left of dash coming on....

i know it is supposed to blink red when alarm is set.....BUT, when i make a HARD left turn, the thing lights up.
message center says nothing....

any ideas?

it is an '06 SCAB fx4

im lost on this one.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:27 PM
SmokeyBear31
Senior User
it turns red when you make a hard left, it turns green when you make a hard right.

j/k mine does it intermittently too. I have no idea why

Old 12-06-2006, 08:23 AM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
BTW you don't have an alarm, the blinking light only signifies that the theft key lockout is armed.

You probably have an exposed wire in the harness in the wheel assembly that goes to the key lock.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:59 AM
Eastrick
New User
Mine blinked the other day and then my O/D came back on. I had been drving with it off for a reason, and it truned back on by itself. It's the third time in a year that it's done this. The dealer had no explanation and said they couldn't repair anything unless the computer threw a code.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:31 AM
mattsf250
Elder User
Originally Posted by Eastrick
Mine blinked the other day and then my O/D came back on. I had been drving with it off for a reason, and it truned back on by itself. It's the third time in a year that it's done this. The dealer had no explanation and said they couldn't repair anything unless the computer threw a code.
\

my OD did the same thing yesterday, i too wanted it off for a reason a

as for no alarm, ok.

when i "arm" it with the window down, then open the door from the inside handle, the horn honks, and the lights flash.
sounds like an alarm.....

thanks for the replies.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:03 PM
fordtruckman
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont have an alarm on my truck though and i still have a the red led light on my dash, why i dunno, i always thought it was a fake alarm becuase i think if people see a red light blinkin on the dash they'd go to the next car to break, well i hope thats how people that steel cars think lol....

-Matt

Old 12-06-2006, 08:11 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
It serves to indicate antitheft (passive), also is a sunload sensor for the EATC if equipped, and also auto lamps sensor, if equipped. Why it flashes at times is a mystery to me. I have never had this complaint. I have had some earlier models with flashing theft light after the vehicle started caused by a low battery condition.

If the overdrive light comes on by itself I would think its a problem with an overdrive switch internal contacts or shorted wiring at the shift lever. Again I have never seen this problem reported at our dealership.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:52 AM
Q'man
Freshman User
Eastrick, same thing happened to me last night. I was towing my trailer (dual axle, about 3,000 #) with the o/d off. Made a left turn and started down the road and I saw the red light come on the dash. I thought of this post and looked down and the O/D was back on.

Did you ever find anything out about this?

Old 12-17-2006, 10:28 AM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

What is that blinking red light on the top of the dask for? My truck has no alarm, no keyless entry, no power anything. Is it just a fake alarm sensor or does it serve some real purpose?

Old 12-17-2006, 10:33 AM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Buck 1
What is that blinking red light on the top of the dask for? My truck has no alarm, no keyless entry, no power anything. Is it just a fake alarm sensor or does it serve some real purpose?
You have passive antitheft built in with the transponder built into your key. The light serves as a diagnostic tool and to warn off potential theives.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:39 PM
Eastrick
New User
I haven't found anything. It happened to me twice about 6 months ago, and back then the dealer found nothing wrong. No codes thrown, so no problem to solve was what they said. It's a serious concern because if I were using engine braking going downhill with the OD off and it switched back on, now we're in free-fall. I kinda forgot about it until two weeks ago when it happened a third time.