6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2006 6.0L Diesel Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 03:32 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for the guru (s). It was my understanding that when you buy a F-350 and larger, you are considered buying a commercial vehicle and thus excluded from the "lemon law" statutes of most states. Am I correct? (In specific reference to the PSD 6.0 engine)

Last edited by rmosso1; 02-09-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:29 PM
jeezjamie
New User
we own a 2006 f250 sd diesil and at 31000 miles had to have 2 collapsed valves and a burnt fuel injection replaced the ford shop tried to tell us it was from not replacing fuel filters at 30000

Old 02-10-2007, 06:11 AM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Was at a Gun shop last night, Right up the road is a large Ford dealer,,I see a tech walk in,,talking to the shop owner about the diesel engines,,he says,,if you have a 7.3 ya better keep it,,the new 6.4 has that particulate exhaust filter, which needs to be replaced after 120 k,,atleast $ 2,000, bucks,,,,,So I ask him about the 6.0,,,he says I try not to work on them,,If you have a good one your lucky, been replacing alot of turbos, and EGR valves, and that they are trouble,,,he said,, I am sorry if you own one, but Good luck with it !
This guy or tech said he has worked there 14 yrs,( I know he's been there awhile) I am not sure if he is a Diesel tech,,I do know this dealer has atleast 2 other Diesel techs that I would trust more,,My 06' 6.0 has been running great almost 18 k on it now ! Have had it 1 yr and 1 month now.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:18 PM
DownTown25
New User
Hey to all participants, I have an update for ya. I have had the truck out for 1 week and put 1305 miles on it in that week and no problems. The Tech told me that they took all the injectors out after blowing one from the last batch and replaced with all new ones. He then asked me to when I fired the truck up to let it run at idle for 4-6 hours so that the heat of the engine at idle could help set the seal on all the new injectors and too see if that would help out. So I did what he suggested and here we are 1305 miles later and seems to be no problems. I guess if you got a spoiled egg in the batch then you need to throw the batch away and start with fresh new ones and break them in right and together. If something happens I will post until then, I will see ya on the highway!!!!!!!

Old 02-16-2007, 08:27 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hopefully you're problems are behind you.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:51 AM
no.slow.slammed6.0
New User
Originally Posted by sleepy127
When I read some of this stuff I have to think either I am one lucky sob to have almost 30,000 trouble free miles or I just haven't worked it hard enough yet. (2004 F250 Crew, 4x4)
I think it's just that all the problems I had with my 05 6.0 I have brought upon my self. I installed a custom race program and kept blowing injectors even though i was warned about this, same thing with the head gasket. Now I have aftermarket injectors and stud kit and new head gasket. Now i run as hard as I want without problems. If you don't want problems keep it stock or go all the way with it and do it right the first time.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Sark
Senior User
Talking

Originally Posted by sleepy127
When I read some of this stuff I have to think either I am one lucky sob to have almost 30,000 trouble free miles or I just haven't worked it hard enough yet. (2004 F250 Crew, 4x4)
I've got an 04 F350 CC, DRW with 36,000+ miles. At least 25,000 of those miles towing our 35' 1/5Whl. Total weight (Trk & Trailer) 20,000+/- lbs & I don't baby it! I've had 2 rear seals, blown a Turbo & Intercooler, replace intercooler hoses 3 times due to oil leaks, just replaced pinion shaft seal due to leaking. I loved it. It runs great & I also have an ESP.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:31 PM
armymark
Senior User
Originally Posted by no.slow.slammed6.0
I think it's just that all the problems I had with my 05 6.0 I have brought upon my self. I installed a custom race program and kept blowing injectors even though i was warned about this, same thing with the head gasket. Now I have aftermarket injectors and stud kit and new head gasket. Now i run as hard as I want without problems. If you don't want problems keep it stock or go all the way with it and do it right the first time.
Brother, I'm not trying to be insulting, however you can't, "run as hard as you want," without sooner or later having problems. I have to tell you though, I like that you admit that your mods and the way you run your truck most likely had an adverse affect. A lot of people think you bolt on and program and its all good. Then significant emotional event when something goes wrong. Somebody says it here alot "you pay to play".

Old 02-24-2007, 11:21 AM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
i have an 06 350 6.0, almost 21,000 trouble free miles, all stock except exhaust and intake elbow, truck runs great only regular maintence done religously!

Old 02-24-2007, 01:20 PM
bamacommander
Senior User
Smile

I have a 2006 f250 6.0 King Ranch 4x4 with 29000 miles. Not a problem with the truck. It is solid, with no squeeks or rattles. This truck is built tough and is the best looking super duty vehicle on the road new or old body style. I have talked to other f250 owners and no one I know have had any problems. My secretaries husband is a Ford diesel mechanic and he is looking to buy an 04 f250 psd. He told me that the problems with the 6.0 are usually minor and the bugs have been pretty much resolved. He has also seen numerous 6.0 with 200000 plus miles. Do not jump ship it is a good engine that will outlast any Duramax.

Last edited by bamacommander; 02-24-2007 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:54 PM
scott93245
New User
Have a 2004 6.0 and generally happy. However, have an exhaust leak on the left side. Replaced the exhjaust maifold gasket and did not correct problem. Any suggestions? By the way, I had no exhaust manifold gaskets on either side from the factory. Is this normal?

Old 09-27-2009, 09:58 PM
mohle
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got my 06 in February with 120,000 KM on it (75,000 miles). Spent the next two months in the shop. New turbo, heads, head gaskets, oil cooler, two injectors, heater core, egr cooler, egr valve, degaus bottle etc... Now I`ve got 175,000 KM (108,000 miles) on it without a problem since.

I think a lot of failures on these engines are a result of how they are maintained, driven and/or modified. I change my oil (Mobil 5W40) every 5,000 km religously. Fuel filters every 15,000 km. Air filter max. every 20,000 km. I don't race my truck and don't tune or modify it. Warm up is 5-10 minutes - even at -20 celsius. Anything over that and it's my belief you start to gum up the EGR system. Every couple of weeks or so I let her run on the highway with wide open throttle to blow out any soot in the system. I've seen similar failures on virtually all Tier III emissions engines from CAT to Cummins to Isuzu. EGR changes everything. The 6.0 can be a good engine. However it is maintenance intensive and does not forgive neglect or abuse. It's design is very sophisticated and complex - possibly too much so for the general public. I look at the people up here in the oil patch and a good number of them are treating these trucks the same way they did a diesel 20 years ago. Idling for hours on end, 15W40 oil etc... Then there are those that modify their trucks - if you want to spend your money on it, that's your choice. If something breaks - that's your problem. I completely agree with Ford on that point. I'm in the equipment rental/sales business and if a customer complained to me that their machine quit working after they put a chip in it, a bigger turbo or whatever and want me to warranty it - forget it.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:53 PM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
I just came back from a Diesel training class and mohle hit it right on the head.

maintenance maintenance maintenance

here is some info that pertains to POWERSTROKE DIESELS so I hope it helps.

more oil changes and using cetane with cut down on a lot of problems.

Ed

Overview
Power Stroke® Diesel engines provide unmatched performance and durability but they also require regularly scheduled maintenance. Power Stroke® Diesel engines and Super Duty® pickups are used in a large variety of demanding applications. Owner's put their vehicles through their paces and keep bringing them back for more. Depending on the application of the vehicles, maintenance intervals may vary.

There are two different types of operating conditions: Normal Service and Severe Service. Normal Service intervals are considered general vehicle usage while Special Service intervals are defined as follows:

Frequent or extended idling
Over 10 minutes per hour of normal driving Frequent low speed operation Sustained heavy traffic less then 25 MPH One hour of idle time, is equal to approximately 25 miles of driving *Note: (If vehicle is operated in sustained ambient temperatures below -10°F or above°F)
Operating in severe dust or off-road conditions
Towing a trailer over 1,000 miles
Sustained, high speed driving at Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (maximum loaded weight for vehicle operation)
Use of Any Bio diesel
B5 is the maximum allowable blend to be used in any Power Stroke™ Diesel

Normal Service Intervals are defined as follows:
7.3L:
Oil Filter: 5,000 miles
Fuel Filter: 15,000 miles
6.0L:
Oil Filter: 7,500 miles
Fuel Filters: 15,000 miles
6.4L:
Oil Filter: 10,000 miles
Fuel Filters: 20,000 miles

Special Service Intervals are defined as follows:
7.3L:
Oil Filter: 3,000 miles
Fuel Filter: 9,000 miles
6.0L:
Oil Filter: 5,000 miles, 200 engine hours or 3 months
Fuel Filters: 10,000 miles, 400 engine hours or 6 months
6.4L:
Oil Filter: 5,000 miles, 200 engine hours or 3 months
Fuel Filters: 10,000 miles, 400 engine hours or 6 months

*Note: All other maintenance intervals can be found in the Diesel Owners Supplement issued with every new Power Stroke ® Diesel powered Super Duty ® pickup.

and if you are not using Cetane start using it.

Fuel and Additives
Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) Fuel:
Part of a multi-tiered effort to reduce tailpipe emissions, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has put in place various emissions requirements for on-road diesel equipped vehicles. Tier 2 was put in place in 2004 and introduced concepts such as Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) to the diesel industry. 2007 and Tier 3 of this emissions requirement will bring about many new changes. The 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine will be equipped with a Two State Turbocharger, enhanced EGR System and Common-Rail Fuel Injection System. It will also feature exhaust aftertreatment devices such as an active Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) and Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC). These new aftertreatment devices, with the help of exhaust gas recircualtion, will help to reduce tailpipe emissions 97% from tier 2 requirements (6.0L Power Stroke).

To help the diesel engine manufacturers meet the 2007 EPA emissions requirements, the Federal Government is issuing new diesel fuel and engine oil standards.

Previous diesel fuels were rated at 500 parts per million (ppm) of sulfur content. Throughout the industry this was denoted as Low Sulfur Diesel (LSD) Fuel. To aid in the reduction of harmful pollutants the new diesel fuel standard will reduce the amount of sulfur to 15 ppm. This new fuel is commonly known as Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) Fuel. Starting on June 1, 2006 all retail diesel pumps had to be labeled with stickers to alert customers what standard of diesel fuel they were about to purchase. The most important thing to remember when buying diesel fuel is that 6.4L Power Stroke engines will require ULSD. All previous Power Stroke engines (6.9L, 7.3L and 6.0L) can run on either LSD or ULSD.

There will also be a new engine oil classification for 2007. This engine oil is called "CJ-4". This classification works in conjunction with ULSD to help reduce tailpipe emissions. This new oil has reduced sulfated ash and phosphorous. It is engineered to help carry the extra soot that is recirculated by the enhanced exhaust EGR system on the 6.4L Power Stroke.

Fuel Quality:
Unlike gasoline, diesel fuel is not federally mandated on a strict quality policy. Diesel fuel quality is measured by its cetane rating. The cetane rating of diesel fuel is similar to that of the octane rating of gasoline. The higher the cetane rating the more efficient the fuel will combust.

The more efficient the combustion process, the fewer emissions in the exhaust gas.

The minimum cetane rating for Power Stroke Diesel engines is 45 cetane. Unfortunately, cetane levels at various fuel sources around North America are very inconsistent. Low cetane levels can lead to lack of power, reduced fuel economy and various driveability concerns. Low cetane diesel fuel can be improved by using fuel additives. Motorcraft Cetane Booster and Performance Improver (PM-22-A - US, PM-22-B - CAN) can improve cetane levels as much as 4-6 points. Motorcraft fuel additives are available at Y2KFORDPARTS or any Ford dealer.(I added me) hehehehe
Name:  oilbottles.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  17.4 KB

Old 09-28-2009, 08:51 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
Great summary of things we have been reading and saying here on FTE for quite a while!

Only thing I would add is that after a point, a cetane increase does not help. After a cetane level of 50, it does not help to boost it any more.

Minimum cetane specs at US pumps is 38 to 40. Ford states 45 is their recommended minimum.

I know folks that do not use the stuff, but I think a cetane boosting additive is wise.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:13 AM
jas67
Junior User
Originally Posted by Sark
I've got an 04 F350 CC, DRW with 36,000+ miles. At least 25,000 of those miles towing our 35' 1/5Whl. Total weight (Trk & Trailer) 20,000+/- lbs & I don't baby it! I've had 2 rear seals, blown a Turbo & Intercooler, replace intercooler hoses 3 times due to oil leaks, just replaced pinion shaft seal due to leaking. I loved it. It runs great & I also have an ESP.
Pardon my ignorance, being a newbie, but what is an ESP?

Quick Reply: 2006 6.0L Diesel Problems