Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Toyota Steering Box What do I need?

Old 12-16-2006, 11:32 AM
Mo52Merc
Senior User
Mo52Merc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Toyota Steering Box What do I need?

Ok, I've got a chance at a toyota steering box for my 52 Ford F-1. What all do I need to pull off the donor truck? I understand I'll need the steering box itself and probably the pump for it, but what else? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Old 12-16-2006, 02:51 PM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
This should answer all your questions:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...60_Trucks.html
If it doesn't, you can ask for more info here or PM/email me direct.
The truck pump will work, but it might be easier to use one that originally came on your engine to keep from having to custom fab mounts for the Toy pump.

Last edited by AXracer; 12-16-2006 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Mo52Merc
Senior User
Mo52Merc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looks like I'll need to do some fabbing then, my truck didn't come with a pump. I suppose it would probably be a good idea to set it up so that I can use the bracket to tighten the engine belts. (thinking out loud) Thanks for the help.

Old 12-16-2006, 06:23 PM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
IIRC they do make PS pump brackets for flatheads. Most likely uses the Saginaw pump.

Old 12-16-2006, 07:10 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.
Definately take the hoses. If you can't use them as they are you might be able to use the fitting from either end.
I would take the pitman arm and the drag link also. When in doubt take as much as you can

Bobby

Old 12-17-2006, 05:42 AM
Walston
Posting Guru
Walston is a splendid one to beholdWalston is a splendid one to beholdWalston is a splendid one to beholdWalston is a splendid one to beholdWalston is a splendid one to beholdWalston is a splendid one to beholdWalston is a splendid one to behold
Gear box, pitman arm, and hoses (at least the return side). Pump depends on the engine.

Old 12-17-2006, 07:30 AM
e william
Elder User
e william is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nice score on a donor....most toyotas use a fluid reserve and metal lines to allow fluid cooling, get those as well. If you dont use the actual parts you can
put together something custom by useing them as a guide for fitting size.

I ended up using gear box, pump, pump bracket and tensioner as well as the reserve.

Ed

Old 12-21-2006, 07:12 PM
ottoparts
Junior User
ottoparts is starting off with a positive reputation.
I too got a yota box for my F2. My question is how do you know if a power sterring pump is low pressure, normal pressure, or high pressure? I parted out an 87 F250 with a fuel injected six cylinder and have planned on using the stock 87 power sterring pump. Are there tests for this? Yes I will also be putting the 4.9 in as well.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:39 PM
AXracer
Post Fiend
Low pressure = cars that used the MII type R&P steering: MIIs, Pintos, Bobcats.
Std pressure = most cars and light trucks with recirculating ball steering boxes.
High Pressure = luxobarges: Cadillac, Lincoln, Imperial.
If you stay away from pumps from the 1st and last group and some of the lightweight imports, you should be OK. Your 87 pump should work fine.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:55 PM
ottoparts
Junior User
ottoparts is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank you for the info.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.