Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stacks, toolboxes, tonneau and toppers????

Old 11-19-2006, 08:28 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stacks, toolboxes, tonneau and toppers????

So what are your guys running stack and or toolboxes using for a tonneau cover? also anybody running stacks up through a topper. My new truck (pick it up in 2 weeks) has a dual 6" smokers. I want to keep them but the kids stuff and michigan snow make it difficult to use a top or tonneau for the winter. I am trying to come up with a good solution. any ideas? i was thinking it may not be too hard to modify a tonneau cover to fit the shortened area of the bed. I could also move the stack in toward the center of the truck a few inches and cut two hole in the toper to run the stacks up through but not real crazy about the idea.
I was also thinking of a quick change exhuast where i could just throw a side pipe on it when i need the topper on but thats a bunch more work. I like 15 minutes change overs not 2 hours change overs? any thoughts or experience to share?

Thanks
Truckless in Michigan (but only for 2 weeks)

Old 11-19-2006, 08:51 PM
sneal
Too old for this

You might look at how a flue exits a roof, there might be some application that you could put into a topper to fit your application. Depends on the temp of the stack where the topper would make contact you might not even need the special boot for high temp applications, you might get away with a rubber boot that would slide down over the stack and form a seal. My nieghbor has a transfer tank and put a short box topper on his truck behind the tank and just built a small plywood wall to extend the topper front to the bed of the truck. He painted it to match and sealed it with Buytal caulk for flexibility, looks pretty good and he has the function of the transfer tank and dry storage. Congrats on the truck!

Old 11-20-2006, 06:11 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

thanks sneal. Prior to finding this truck I was thinking about stacks and had a thought about ceramic coated stacks. Then a rubber gasket would work no problem. Keep the ideas coming!

Old 11-20-2006, 09:13 AM
kellie_truxedo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here at Shur-Co we custom build the Truxedo Lo Profile to go behind toolbox applications. I'm not sure how that would work with your stacks, but you can check out the Gallery at truxedo.com to see how well the custom covers work with toolboxes.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:35 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

thanks kellie for the info. I also foudn a guy on ebay user name "intrigued" he said he could make a custom one for $220. I beleive it is hinged at the front so it is easy to remove and could flip up for bigger objects on the tail of the truck. I am getting some more info on it now but sounds pretty good to me.

any other ideas?

Old 11-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Back in my old street rod days we used to put a cutout in the exhaust that would allow us to select between straight pipes for the "occasional" drag race or the muffled (well sorta muffled) system that kept it legal.

You could apply the same principal and make the stacks easily removable (better use stainless pipe) at a point that will allow using a cover in winter.

Last edited by Phydeaux88; 11-20-2006 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:00 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

I have thought about that but the stacks still have to come off in order to fit a cover. would be just as easy to have flat band clamps ona 90 degree bend just under the bad that i could take off put the side pipe on. I don't really want my undercarriage all sooted up from just a turn down. That is good thinking though! thanks

I am think the custom tonneau is sounding pretty good. Just won't fit as much as the topper when we go camping and what not. Too bad a short bed topper aft of the toolbox and stack would look really dumb! but it would be functional!

Old 11-22-2006, 10:53 PM
westtntrucker
Posting Guru
I am going to assume your new truck will be a long bed. Get a tonnue for a short bed and the space from the front of the cover to the front of the bed can be made with some sheet metal and small angle iron with hole flame cut to let the stacks thru. for water proofing, High temp RTV should do the trick.

Old 11-23-2006, 09:19 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Thanks that might just work too. I will be picking the truck up in a week so then I will know the spacing. A short bed cover would be the easiest!