6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Cat delete & Muffler delete, positive & negative effects??

Old 12-13-2006, 06:25 PM
southbound35west
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cat delete & Muffler delete, positive & negative effects??

is their any negative effects on the engine or turbo if u do not having a cat or a muffler, can this cause future problems? if u delete both of these items is their gonna be any problems with the engine or turbo or backpressure, will the computer throw any codes with these componets gone? if i take my truck in to ford for warranty work can ford link these 2 deletes to any type of componet failure like turbo, oil leaks, injectors, or any engine or turbo issue or failure? with both of these componets removed will this be beneficial to my engine and fuel milage and performance with 4 inch cat back exhaust system? i do not hotrod this truck and i do want it to last a long time will these mods affect the longevity of the engine? my local ford service department told me these mods will not hurt the warranty, but if i bring it in and the problem is directly related to not having a cat or muffler then they would not cover the repair under warranty. this is on a 2006 ps. also i want to hear the jet on the runway sound when sitting there idleing, so i know to achieve that i must remove the cat and the muffler, just do not want to damage my investment from shortterm or longterm effects from this modification, your input is greatly appreciated on this issue.................. my cat will be running off tomorrow.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:57 PM
ford4lifer
Senior User
Only thing they can void is the 8/80 warranty on the exhaust system. They would have one hell of a time trying to prove that a turbo back cat and muff delete caused your injectors, turbo, or electrical componets to fail. Diesels DO NOT need backpressure to operate efficently or safely. Heat, oil and bearing failures cause turbos to go, oh and dirt, not turbo back systems.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:43 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
Well it could cause a failure on your muffler bearings Not but really, Ive been straight piped for like 20,000 miles without a problem, Like mentioned, they dont need the back pressure, Just make sure you hammer it everytime you drive by a cummins or duramax!

Old 12-13-2006, 09:53 PM
southbound35west
Elder User
if i decide to go straight piped, i will let the duramax and the cummins know i am there everytime. is there much difference in a 4"cat back and a 4"turbo back system? i really want the jet sittin on the runway at idle effect(whistle), hope i can get this from a 2006 ps?

Old 12-13-2006, 10:01 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
You gotta get rid of the cat to get the whistle, And if you really wanta sound like a jet get an intake. But most wouldnt recemend an intake. I want an intake for the sound, but dont want to risk the possible side effects they can bring.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:07 PM
PSDiesel60
Junior User
I have an AEM intake, and from what I have read, everyone on here says to put the stock filter back in, but I do like the sound/look of a modified intake. I do get a puffing sound from time to time when i accelerate hard and left off in a short distance, it almost sounds like air is going back out the intake. I'm guessing this would be fixed by a blow off valve (I'm a car guy, first diesel), but they aren't offered for these trucks, and I don't understand why.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:40 PM
southbound35west
Elder User
i have had a bad experience already with a aftermarket intake system on this 2006 ps, i put a k&n system on and ran it for 12000k, well it sucked in a lot of dirt and dusted the turbo, so i put the factory system back on, if i get another aftermarket intake for this truck it will be for the jet sound purpose and it will be an afe stage 2 with pro guard 7 filter, this one from what i here will stop the dirt sucking with a little more air flow............

Old 12-13-2006, 11:04 PM
PSDiesel60
Junior User
I have not seen the K&N intake, so I do not know exactly what the problem is, but I have heard of a lot of problems from it. My AEM has been on it for 10k miles, and I have no complaints yet, just that puffing sound when hard acceleration and letting off in a short period. I think it has something to do with the intake manifold, not letting any air out, so excess pressure comes back.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:02 AM
southbound35west
Elder User
take your intake off and look in the tube see if there is any dust on the inside of the tube, then look into the turbo at the impeller to see if it is covered in dust, these r signs u had better do something, like put the stock system back on or try the afe stage 2/ with pro guard 7...............

Old 12-14-2006, 05:59 PM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PSDiesel60
I have an AEM intake, and from what I have read, everyone on here says to put the stock filter back in, but I do like the sound/look of a modified intake. I do get a puffing sound from time to time when i accelerate hard and left off in a short distance, it almost sounds like air is going back out the intake. I'm guessing this would be fixed by a blow off valve (I'm a car guy, first diesel), but they aren't offered for these trucks, and I don't understand why.
the 6.0 doesn't have a blowoff because they use a variable geometry turbo to limit the boost. vs blowing the waste boost off.

i know the sound your referring to .and some on here have said that bad vgt solenoids or sticking turbo vanes cause it

Old 12-14-2006, 09:08 PM
southbound35west
Elder User
not much change in exhaust whistle or noise with the cat gone on my 2006 ps, but its one less restriction, guess the muffler needs to be deleted, and some 4 inch cat back pipe installed to really get a good sound and whistle.............

Old 12-14-2006, 09:10 PM
blkfx405
Junior User
the stock breather is the hardest filter i have ever had to change .wwhat is the slick trick to changing the dang thing,.

Old 12-14-2006, 10:40 PM
gross30
Senior User
blkfx405: several cans of your favorite cold beer, patience, and a little inginuity can also help. They are a pain in the you know what.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:36 PM
MrMike06
Senior User
My 06 has been straight piped for a few months now. And as for the turbo whistle, I had a few guys from work come up to me today and ask me what I had done to my truck that made it sound like a jet at idle. Straight piped is definately the way to go, nice loud whistle at idle, then big block chevy at full throttle. I love it..

Old 12-15-2006, 06:02 AM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We heard a 6.0 yesterday drive by,,,,not sure what year ,,cause it was heading away when I heard it,,,but it was a deep throaty sound and a slight whistle, and he was just taking off easy, I was about 60 ft away,,that how I want my 06', 6.0 to sound.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cat delete & Muffler delete, positive & negative effects??