Just bought an Aerostar 3.0 for a roadtrip

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 09:33 AM
MrTFWitt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Just bought an Aerostar 3.0 for a roadtrip

Hi,

I'm just finishing off an '86 Aerostar 3.0 for a bit of a roadtrip.

The brakes are now working fine, the dampers are all new and I've fitted a new radiator.
The problem I have is bleeding the cooling system.
No mention in the Haynes manual of how its done but the top hose is higher than the fill point so the system has air in it and the heater doesnt work.

I've found out how to get the temperature gauge working, the gauge select button for the digital dashboard is missing but I worked out the control wires to cycle the dashboard.

So any handy tips on how to get the cooling system purged of air ?

Oh, I almost forgot to mention, we will be taking it from the UK through the Sahara desert so getting the cooling system 100% is a real priority.
Theres a few pictures of my Aerostar on our website
TiggersTravels Page 3 I think it starts on

Cheers

Ian

Old 12-13-2006, 09:41 AM
ken1mod
Elder User
Good Luck!

Old 12-13-2006, 10:27 AM
copper_90680
Postmaster
MrTFWitt:

Welcome to our FTE forum

About bleeding the cooling system, I have heard that you should jack up one of the front wheels and leave the radiator cap off while running the engine at about 2000 rpm for a minute or so.

Can you do me a favor? Please take a picture of the engine compartment for me. I have always wondered if everything, including the engine parts was switched Left-Right on a British car since you guys drive on the left side of the road.

Have fun on the trip and good luck.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:47 AM
MrTFWitt
New User
As far as I can tell all the mechanicals remain unchanged on my Aerostar.
Its a US forces import with slightly modified headlights, tail lights and indicators.

The Steering wheel is still on the left which I why I bought it. Some African countries dont allow RHD vehicles to enter at the borders.

I was just browsing through the forum messages and came across the idea of jacking up the vehicle to bleed the system. This is quite handy as I need to see if the spare wheel I got from the breakers today will fit.

The Aerostar is quite rare over here and a bit of wandering round the wrecks with a tape measure later I'm 95% convinced the Aerostar has the same center bore and PCD as an '86 Volvo 240 estate. There is a spacesave spare in the boot but it looks orignal so I'm going to chuck it away and find two new tyres once I have rims that will fit.

Engine bay pictures to follow in the morning, unless its raining

Old 12-13-2006, 12:42 PM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ian,

it's interesting to see that the Aero even made it to the land of bangers and beer.....Tigger and Aerogirl show have fun traveling the drifting sands of the Sahara and Africa...great adventure

from Ford Service CD
http://www.fordcds.com/

Filling

NOTE:
Use the following steps to remove air from the cooling system and to make sure a complete fill can be accomplished.

1. Close radiator draincock and install cylinder block drain plug.

2. Fill the cooling system with a 50/50 mixture of specified coolant concentrate and water. Allow several minutes for trapped air to escape (bubble out) and for coolant mixture to flow through the radiator.

NOTE:
When filling a crossflow radiator, allow time for the coolant to flow through the radiator tubes to the other end tank to make sure radiator is full.

3. Install radiator cap to pressure relief position by installing cap to fully installed position and then backing off to first stop. This will allow any air to escape and minimize spillage.

4. Slide heater temperature and mode selection levers to maximum heat position.

5. Start engine and allow to operate at fast idle (approximately 2000 rpm) for three to four minutes. Shut engine off.

6. With engine off, wrap radiator cap with a thick cloth, carefully remove cap and add coolant to bring coolant level up to filler neck seat.

WARNING:
USE CAUTION WHEN ADDING COOLANT MIXTURE TO RADIATOR TO AVOID HOT COOLANT OR STEAM BLOW OUT FROM THE RADIATOR.

7. Replace cap to fully installed position. Then, back off to first stop. Operate engine at fast idle until the upper radiator hose is warm (thermostat opens). To check radiator, shut engine off, wrap cap with thick cloth, carefully remove cap. Add additional coolant if necessary. Replace cap to fully installed position.

8. Open the small cap on the top of the coolant overflow reservoir.

9. Using a suitable suction gun, remove all coolant from overflow reservoir.

NOTE:
The large cap is for the windshield washer reservoir. NEVER put coolant mixture in windshield washer bottle.

10. Add 1 liter (1.1 quarts) of 50/50 mixture of coolant concentrate and water to the coolant overflow reservoir. Close the small cap.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:18 PM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
i've never seen a sickening color on an Aero until now....that Chicken Run Gromit Yellow is NOT my cup of tea
looks like something out of the rear end of a pullet and not an egg yoke.....

why not try Ford Motor Company or a local Ford dealer for some sponsorship donations of parts and money for the Aero
also oil companies

no Saharan swamp mud in Aero radiator
Ford Service cd
Engine Coolant

In production, the cooling system is filled with a 50/50 mixture of Ford Premium Cooling System Fluid E2FZ-19549-AA (ESE-M97B44-A) or equivalent and water. This mixture is formulated to prevent corrosion, maintain system cleanliness and provide anti-freeze protection in ambient temperatures to -37°C (-35°F). The specified mixture of anti-freeze and water will also minimize the potential for overheating during hot weather.

For the most effective cooling system operation, the specified mixture should be maintained all year round and in all climates.

CAUTION:
All vehicles use an aluminum radiator and require a special unique corrosion-inhibiting coolant formula to avoid radiator damage.

If Ford Premium Cooling System Fluid E2FZ-19549-AA (ESE-M97B44-AA) is not available, use only a permanent antifreeze that meets Ford specification ESE-M97B44-A standards, and dilute with an equal quantity of tap water. Do not use alcohol or methanol antifreeze or mix them with the specified coolant. Use of wrong coolant may cause radiator and/or engine damage, and may void any applicable engine warranty.

Ordinary tap water may be used in an emergency except in areas where the water is known to be exceptionally hard or to have a high alkali content, but should be replaced with the proper mixture of antifreeze and water as soon as possible.

To avoid possible overheating in very hot weather, do not use mixtures with more than 50 percent antifreeze except in areas where antifreeze protection below -37°C (-35°F) is required. In this case, refer to the coolant mixture chart on the Ford Cooling System Fluid Container, but in no case exceed 60 percent antifreeze/water mixture.

A standard ethylene glycol hydrometer can be used to check the protection level of the long-life coolant or Rotunda Anti-Freeze Tester 021-00046 or equivalent.

To prevent damage to the cooling system or engine during periods of below freezing when water or antifreeze is added to the radiator separately, always drive the vehicle (or operate the engine at fast idle for 30 minutes) before letting the vehicle stand with the engine off for prolonged periods. This will produce a uniform mixture throughout the cooling system and prevent damage by freezing when sufficient antifreeze is used.

hope you're planning a winter trip and camel tow trucks?

Last edited by 96_4wdr; 12-13-2006 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:58 PM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can try jacking up the front end of the vehicle or parking it on a hill while adding coolant to help fill the cooling system entirely. Also run it for several minutes with the cap off to purge the air out.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:32 PM
ken1mod
Elder User
Just relax, the system will automatically clear air from the system in a couple of days.

ken

Old 12-14-2006, 06:39 AM
AeroPA
Elder User
Yep, I've never had to purge mine after a coolant change. It seems to work OK by itself over the course of a day or so. Just keep an eye on the overflow tank, and make sure it has coolant in it.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:00 AM
MrTFWitt
New User
Now I have a more urgent problem and I'll ask here just in case anyone knows for certain

What rims are interchangeable with an Aerostar ?
Bronco ? Explorer ?

Whats the Center bore and PCD for these hubs ?

Neither of the spares I have fit the vehicle so I need to find one in the next week

Old 12-14-2006, 08:13 AM
merlynr
Posting Guru
I used a rim (14") from my 73 Mustang for a few days and it fit on our 93 Aero except I had to use the larger lugnuts from the stang. Same threads, but physically bigger diameter.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:33 AM
MrTFWitt
New User
5x114.3 or 5x4.5 after a bit of googling

just need to find the center bore official diameter now

Old 12-14-2006, 08:16 PM
crerar
Senior User
2wd ranger rims will fit

Bill

Old 12-16-2006, 05:31 AM
MrTFWitt
New User
New photos

Well the cooling system seems to have purged itself, no sign of overheating.

Apart from fitting the stereo and finding the spare its good to go.
Been to work twice and its gone all the way to Shropshire without problems.

Updated my photos page

http://tiggerstravels.net/

Heres a taster and our overlander is in the background (ex Dutch military 6x6)

Old 12-16-2006, 06:05 AM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
love the 2 rigs...nice work on the Aero...spiffy

should be able to see those 2 rigs 100 miles across the S. Algerian desert

finding 14" spare rims can be dodgey...may be easier and cheaper to switch the girl over to 15" except looks like you have just purchased new tyres?

15"x8" rims with P275r55 wide tyres would be just the ticket for desert sands...have to torch out the wheel wells

cheerio and bon voyage

Last edited by 96_4wdr; 12-16-2006 at 06:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Just bought an Aerostar 3.0 for a roadtrip