Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

high mileage on escape 3.0??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 07:55 PM
mats blu ovals
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
311,000km

My 01' escape has 311,000 kilometers, and runs great. Tranny was doe in it, but had extensive work done to prevent another problem. Small problems otherwise.
Preventitive maintainence is the biggest thing!

Old 07-19-2012, 12:05 PM
buddyrizzo
New User
Ford Escape 2001

My ford 2001 Escape has 194,000 miles on it. Been to hell and back with the problems I had with it but knock on wood the last couple of years have not had many problems with it.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:59 PM
scott91370
Fleet Mechanic
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
2004 that's coming up on 245,000 miles. Hoping it'll last until fall 2013 at which time it should be close to 290k.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:21 PM
tonyford
Elder User
My 2003 Escape XLS is just about at 150,000 miles. Had two coil packs replaced about 2 years ago, besides that regular maintenance.

Now I need a new bushing on the driver's side anti-sway bar link. Might have him replace both sides.

Still on original back brakes if you can believe that. 150,000 miles and back brakes have never been changed, BUT I do think when I bring it in to have fronts done, they gonna tell me the backs are due this time, just a hunch.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:32 PM
aj7885
Junior User
01 V6 XLT AWD 200500. No major issues. suspension parts replaced, a couple wheel bearings, oil pan gasket, 2 plug/intake gaskets changes all done by me. I do think the key on CD4E tranny is 30k flushes. Mine was converted to Mercon V at about 123k miles and after the second flush since then no problems with torque converter shudder or shifts or any problems.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:29 PM
tonyford
Elder User
Originally Posted by aj7885
01 V6 XLT AWD 200500. No major issues. suspension parts replaced, a couple wheel bearings, oil pan gasket, 2 plug/intake gaskets changes all done by me. I do think the key on CD4E tranny is 30k flushes. Mine was converted to Mercon V at about 123k miles and after the second flush since then no problems with torque converter shudder or shifts or any problems.
Don't really do a tranny flush, but every 15000 miles I drain the 4 quarts I can out get of the tranny case and replace with 4 quarts of new fluid. Been doing that for quite a long time now, and by doing so after many times, the fluid in the trans is just about 90% to 95% new at all times. The longer you keep diluting the fluid the newer it gets. I am still using the old Dexron/Mercon because that is what is called for in the CD4E. I know that Mercon V has been reformulated to be used in this trans, but why should I change if the old Mercon works well without problems, why look for trouble.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:18 PM
ElbowJoe
Freshman User
Bought my '03 3.0 AWD Escape Limited used in December 2010 with 123K on the clock. It now has over 155K. When I got it, the front sway bar links were pretty much shot so I replaced them and I decided to replace the front control arms on both sides while I was at it as they were showing wear. As I was not sure about the care it had rec'd from the previous owner, I changed plugs, PCV valve (what a pain!) air filter and cabin air filter. Since then, I have replaced the oil pan gasket, drivers side axle bearing and hub assy, sea foamed the engine, changed rear diff lube, replaced the battery and put on some new Cooper tires - which I rotate every 6K or so. I have also done the DIY tranny flush and fill (thanks for the tip Tonyford!) with 3 gallons of Supertech Dexron III for the past 4 synthetic (Mobil 1) oil changes.

This little truck is running great and I plan to put on at least another 50K before I replace it. There is a little driveline rumble going on which may be pointing to rear wheel bearings or driveshaft center bearing but it is not very noisy yet and I have not narrowed down the exact issue. This website has been a great source of information and I am very happy to hear that others have much more mileage than I do.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:54 PM
tonyford
Elder User
Originally Posted by ElbowJoe
Bought my '03 3.0 AWD Escape Limited used in December 2010 with 123K on the clock. It now has over 155K. When I got it, the front sway bar links were pretty much shot so I replaced them and I decided to replace the front control arms on both sides while I was at it as they were showing wear. As I was not sure about the care it had rec'd from the previous owner, I changed plugs, PCV valve (what a pain!) air filter and cabin air filter. Since then, I have replaced the oil pan gasket, drivers side axle bearing and hub assy, sea foamed the engine, changed rear diff lube, replaced the battery and put on some new Cooper tires - which I rotate every 6K or so. I have also done the DIY tranny flush and fill (thanks for the tip Tonyford!) with 3 gallons of Supertech Dexron III for the past 4 synthetic (Mobil 1) oil changes.

This little truck is running great and I plan to put on at least another 50K before I replace it. There is a little driveline rumble going on which may be pointing to rear wheel bearings or driveshaft center bearing but it is not very noisy yet and I have not narrowed down the exact issue. This website has been a great source of information and I am very happy to hear that others have much more mileage than I do.
Joe I just had my swaybar link bushings changed at 150k, what a difference. The front end feels like new again, my mechanic checked the control arms and they are okay yet with little wear.

Sounds like the previous owner was pretty rough on your vehicle, but with some tender loving care you seem to have got it back on track.

I been using Castrol High Mileage motor oil for about a year now. It seems I am using less oil now between changes, 4000 mile intervals, I didn't say burning oil, I said using oil, there is a difference.

The technical term for the drain 4 qts. of tranny fluid and adding 4 quarts is progressive dilution. After about 2 or 3 of these you just about have new tranny fluid circulating in the transmission. It is simple to do and takes about 10 minutes tops.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:25 AM
Paul Douglas
New User
So far this one that we have is still going and going. We are the 2nd owners of it. It is the 93500 model to roll off the Ford assembly line when they started to make the 2001 Escape 2WD XLT. Been a great truck. Had the transmission replaced at 250,000 miles. The 3.0 still going strong. Now that I'm currently at 315,000 miles and I'm starting to have issues with the top end of the motor. I've now had 2 of the spark plugs back themselves out and blow the Ignition Coil out of the vehicle. that's when we acquired it from the neighbor cause he thought that his baby blew the motor. Me being a mechanic told him it was an easy fix, but he was ready to move on with his next Escape. The first spark plug, the Misfire in 2 was fixed and replaced. Now the Intake Manifold gasket and seals need to be replaced due to it sucking air in at cold starts and idle. The 2nd spark plug blew out last month and this one cause some serious damge. Number 3 went. It stripped out the threads of the plug and cracked the intake manifold with the pressure from expelling the plug and ignition coil so hard it was like someone throw a sledge hammer at the truck while I was running down the highway. Other than that the truck has been wonderful to us. Hopeefully we can get the slight issues with the aluminum head fixed due to the metal starting to fatigue from the wear and tear of getting itself to this 315,000 milestone.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:02 PM
DiDiscape
New User
Just rolled over 300,000 miles

My 02 Escape been runnin like a top. Just did tune up and oil change. The engine has never been opened up. No exhaust leaks and very quiet when running.Original ransmission,alternator, and wheel bearings. The oil pan gasket and front crank seal replaced at 260,000 miles. Has had new brakes, brake hose and front sway bar end links though

Old 01-18-2016, 04:49 PM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
04 Escape XLT No Boundaries, currently has 162K miles and only major repair has been a water pump. And of course the wear items like tires, brakes, battery, belt etc.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:49 PM
goingnorth
Junior User
08 stick shift 198k, only changed belt and a couple pulley's, plugs , and normal stuff. Going to try for 250k, I live on a dirt road about 3 miles to pavement so body is bad, have not washed it in years, no point. 90% of miles on highway, still getting 28mpg's.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:32 PM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
DiDi; that is a beautiful older Escape. Congrats on taking great care of it.
My son in Atlanta has 275,000 miles on his '03 Limited and it still looks great. Gives one little puff of oil smoke on start-up and that's it. He recently had to have some work done to fix oil leaks. He can't be talked into getting rid of it - I think he'll put an engine in it if he has to. He's already had the trans rebuilt, new exhaust, etc.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:22 PM
89F250_7.5
Junior User
My '02 trans gave up the ghost at 235k. all quotes for 4k or more, so I bought a '16

Old 08-12-2016, 01:12 PM
MtnMan6114
Freshman User
108K on the little 3.0 Scape that just plugs away.
The automatic tranny fluid "exchange" is the toughest (but mandatory if your gonna keep it for awhile. I'd found a proven method of doing the flush, (but it takes me all day as part of it involves pulling the front grill to unhook the tranny line there at the cooler).

Quick Reply: high mileage on escape 3.0??