Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

2 Micron Filter Upgrade Money Well Spent.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 02:59 PM
Hamberger
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2 Micron Filter Upgrade Money Well Spent.

Recently replaced the IP in my new 91' after a little biodiesel mishap were I froze the IP running B40 and broke my advance piston lever when I applied the throttle to start the truck.

The IP had less than 30k on it so I looked at getting it re-built. It is hard to believe what a bad shape the IP was already in after only 30k with the previous owner not using additives and running with the stock 10 micron fuel filter can do an amazingly large amount of damage to your IP in a very short time.

Virtually every moving component had significant wear to the point were a rebuilt was no longer worth it. To make matters worse the IP had been previously rebuilt with an oversized advance piston so any rebuilt would have required sleeving of the IP housing. All told the IP was not worth rebuilding.

Lessons Learned:
Keep up on your additives and upgrade your fuel filter to 2 micron as is standard on the newer diesel engines. This is more important than ever given the new ULSD fuels.

Seb.....

Old 12-11-2006, 03:24 PM
Dave7.3
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where can you buy 2 micron filters and for how much? The previous owner of my rig did regular maintenance but I'm not certain if he used an additives...The guy passed away soon after he sold the truck so I guess I wont have the chance to ask him...

Old 12-12-2006, 02:35 AM
Mr. Bob
Elder User
Bahhh.... thats too bad about the IP!!!

Where are you getting you IP from??

And what fuel filter are you running???

Old 12-12-2006, 09:11 AM
Hamberger
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Mr. Bob
Bahhh.... thats too bad about the IP!!!

Where are you getting you IP from??

And what fuel filter are you running???

Got my IP from "Surrey Diesel Injection" out on River Road near Tilbury. Talk to Tom Gibson. I actually looked at re-building my old pump but it just was not worth it.

On the 91' I replaced the Ford Filter, with a Racor R45S (2 micron) filter. Kept the filter in the same location as the factory filter. Only had to make a small adapter bracket. You can also make the Racor filter bracket fit if you re-drill the bracket the Racor filter comes with, I did this on my dad's truck and it worked without having to make a separate braket. I bought mine at NIKKA in Steveston for about $CDN 135. (Special)

Seb....

Old 12-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Hamberger
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Dave7.3
Where can you buy 2 micron filters and for how much? The previous owner of my rig did regular maintenance but I'm not certain if he used an additives...The guy passed away soon after he sold the truck so I guess I wont have the chance to ask him...
Dave,

Try the Parker Web Site and search for a supplier via the search site below using you ZIP code:

www.parker.com/distloc/english/search_3V4.asp?menu_gid=38&menu_divid=

Note, the equivalent part number for 2 micron filters for the 94 to 97 powerstrokes is:

<TABLE width="95%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>INF4595 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=plaintext>Racor INF4595 Fuel Filter - Fits Ford 7.3L Power Stroke 1994-1997

Unfortunately for IDI's you will have to purchase the entire filter bracket and fuel bowl and adapt it.

Note, I am not aware of any 2 micron filter element that would adapt to the Factory IDI fuel filter bracket and fuel bowl.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Seb.....

Last edited by Hamberger; 12-12-2006 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:48 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
I think the fuel standard is 10 micron from the refinery so your 2 micron could pose problems with premature plugging. Depending on how clean the fuel refiner is making it from the norm.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Hamberger
Fleet Mechanic
I have been running a 2 micron filter on my 93' since the day I bought it. It does catch a lot of stuff and I change it atleast every 25k miles.

My 91' I bought last year had the factory 10 micron filter and I could not believe the poor shape the IP was in when I replaced it last weekend.

All newer diesels now use 2 micron filters. They are worth their money, believe me, even if you do have to change them more often.

Seb......

Old 12-12-2006, 06:04 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
I've been using the standard fleetguard filter from the start and have rebuilt the pump once in 220K miles. But I've been using B5 biodiesel with premium fuel. This might have helped with longevity.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:14 AM
Hamberger
Fleet Mechanic
The B5 probably had a lot to do with getting 220k out of your IP. There is also a lot of variability on fuel quality between refiners and supplies I have found and if you go with good quality fuel that will help a lot.

I remember I tried to saving a few pennies on fuel back in 94' for a while by filling up diesel across the border. I ended up draining water constantly of the bottom of my fuel filter and decided that the few pennies I saved per liter I ended up paying for in fuel filters. Getting good fuel is a must.

Amazingly the standards for diesel fuel allow for a wide range of variability on fuel quality. Furthermore, to meet certain test criteria many refiners end up blending who knows what with their base diesel to say meet a cloud point spec.

The biggest gaps I still see on the biodiesel side (atleast from my experience with the stuff I have been buying) are: 1, A lack of a low temperature fuel properties spec. 2, General cleanliness of the fuel, and 3, Separation/proper mixing of the biofuel with the regular diesel.

Seb.....

Old 12-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Dave7.3
Elder User
Do they sell a 2 micron filter that will fit in stock locations on these old trucks? Hamberger, I tried the link you posted me and couldn't find a dealer nearby or anywhere close to me...Would the local Napa carry em? I rarely have to drain water if at all so I suspect the diesel I have been fueling up with is decent. Good ol' Big D Oil

Old 12-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Hamberger
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Dave7.3
Do they sell a 2 micron filter that will fit in stock locations on these old trucks? Hamberger, I tried the link you posted me and couldn't find a dealer nearby or anywhere close to me...Would the local Napa carry em? I rarely have to drain water if at all so I suspect the diesel I have been fueling up with is decent. Good ol' Big D Oil
Unfortunately I am not aware of anybody selling a 2 micron filter element for the IDI motors that would fit the factory filter set-up.

Switching to the Racor R45S set-up is not to difficult. Drill a few holes, some fuel hose and a few pipe fittings to adapt the Racor replacing the factory filter.

You might want to check into the 94-97 Powerstroke filter I referred to above.

A friend of mine has a 95 Powerstroke that uses the R45S filter cartridges. Maybe you can get a bracket from a 94-97 truck. If not, it is not that difficult to mount a racor set.

Note, my Racor setup also has the built-in hand fuel lift pump in the top bracket so I can recharge my filter after I change it and get all the air out. This saves a lot of cranking and avoids burning up the starter trying to get the air out.

I really should take a picture one day and post it as this set-up works really well.

You can also get a longer cartridge (R60S) that will fit the same bracket and fuel bowl. I got one of those in my 93'. To fit it I had to mount it on passenger side fender so as it gets to long if you fit in into the factory filter location.

Seb.....

Old 01-03-2007, 12:35 PM
Dave7.3
Elder User
I know this thread is a little old but is this what you were talking about?

http://www.dieselpage.com/racref73.htm

That fits in the stock location but it is 2 micron?

Old 01-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Hamberger
Fleet Mechanic
Dave,

You will have to phone them to confirm that this filter is 2 micron. From 94 to 97 Ford actually used the 2 micron Racor filter element (Part Number R45S) Prior to 94 Ford used 10 micron filters. A friend of mine has a 95 7.3l F250 and his truck uses the Racor R45S cartridges.

It looks like these fellows came up with their own aftermarket filter. I have not seen this particular model before. Should be alright as long as it is 2 micron. The added benefit I see with the true Racor setup is that mine has a clear plastic bowl instead of the aluminium bowl which allows me to to visually check for water. Your won't be able to do that with the aluminium bowl and you will have to rely on the water sensor to tell you that there is water in your fuel.

Should work ok as long as the filter is 2 micron.

Seb....

Old 01-03-2007, 02:02 PM
bc6.9
Elder User
Racor filters aren't cheap, if my memory serves me right, the're $40 plus but at every 25,000 klm, it's not that much money considering the piece of mind you get with it.

Seb, if you were using a fuel additive at the time of the cold snap, do you think it would have saved the IP ?

Old 01-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Hamberger
Fleet Mechanic
Running B40 with the temperature going below 20 F that night I don't think the antigel would not have kept my filter and IP from freezing up. When I turned my filter upside down ice fell out so it definetely had frozen.

I did add the Howe Antigel when I topped up the tanks that night but it really did not have enough time to mix properly.

Note, I did use up all the B40 without any problems so the tanks themselves either re-melted or never fully froze in the first place.

Truck runs nice with the new IP, good power, still evaluating to see if the new IP will help the milage a little..... will see.....

Seb...