6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Daily driving a diesel? advise

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 12:26 PM
mxdan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daily driving a diesel? advise

Ive been searching youre message board for a while to find what i'm looking for but I still can't find it so maybe someone can offer me their advise. Basically I love trucks, and as long as i get 10 mpg in town i won't complain. That being said is it okay to own a diesel f250 4x4 as a daily driver, i commute to work roughly 20 miles, and use my trucks to get to the tracks on the weekends, sometimes i pull a 12 foot trailer loaded with dirtbikes etc(once a month). I plan on getting a medium boat soon. Now all these things can be done by a f150 no problem, but I love how the diesels drive, sound and the sheere massive size( ive driven them but never owned one) THAT being said, i keep reading how unless you work the 6.0 PSD hard you might have problems, mainly with moisture in the oil. will i run into problems with the truck if i use it as a daily driver. THANKS

Old 12-10-2006, 12:44 PM
NavyPowerstroker
More Turbo
No. You shouldn't have problems as long as you drive it often and get it hot when you do. I use mine as a daily driver going about 10 miles each way to work and have never had a problem. I do get on it every so often and make sure I burn off any residue on the turbo. They make great daily drivers and get quite a bit better than the 10 mpg you stated.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:02 PM
DaMole
Posting Guru
We have two that are daily drivers. One goes anywhere from 5 miles to 100 miles a day and never really tows anything other than a small trailer and a boat ever now and then. Never had a problem with them and they get excellent fuel mileage. Just like navypowerstroker said just get it warmed up and blow the motor out every once and a while. There is nothin like the feelin of lookin behind you and not bein able to see a white car in the smoke.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:06 PM
daveshan
Junior User
Bought in late May, just turned 10k last week, 6k of that was in one month towing back and forth from CA to CO. Now the poor thing sits most of the time with only 2-3 trips into town per week, ~20 miles each way. I make sure to run it hard a bit after it warms up just to give it a workout. No issues yet except an exhaust back pressure sensor on one of the tow trips. I'm kind of glad I got a late 6.0 as most of the issues seem to be with '03-4s and many fixes have been integrated into the later motors.

I wondered if I made the right decision when I read all the posts on 6.0 issues but have no regrets now. Expecially after talking to a couple of the contractors who were doing a remodel on the house. They both drove Dodge 2500s and while they were happy with the engine they were envious of both the tow command, torque flight, and my weight rating. Their "heavy duty" trucks had 800lbs less GVW than my 250 with a camper package and one of the guys only bought the 6 speed manual due to the tranny issues Dodge is known for.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:12 PM
mxdan
New User
thanks guys that sounds great, now they only thing is finding one that i want, is it better to buy brand new or a broken in one, i want leather and most of the options so i prolly won't find what i'm looking for with a used one.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:15 PM
NavyPowerstroker
More Turbo
Totally up to you and what you can afford. You can find a great truck in either market.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:23 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
Mines a daily driver, and like mentioned you just gotta drive it hard once in a while and get it good and hot. If your gonna get a used one you might stay away from the 03 and 04 6.0s.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:48 PM
Dieselhound
Senior User
If i lived in a rural area, i would use my F-250 psd for a daily driver, but here in the congested suburbs I live in, I bought a Mazda Tribute for the daily commute and errands and save the F-250 for the major trips and cargo running. Parking lots are not made for the F-250 around my neighborhood. Alas, my F-250 may sit even more now as I just bought a Piper Cherokee for the trips over 100 miles. If you leave for work early in the morning and have sleeping neighbors right next to your driveway, then i recommend the F-150 so you won't disturb the peace.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:57 PM
mxdan
New User
Basically if i have to romp on it once in a while to clean it out then i can't go wrong with a diesel. I don't think the nighbors will mind they put up with screaming dirtbikes and streetbikes as it is. You guys have been really helpfull, now i can't wait to go shopping for one. Can you still order 07's with the 6.0 or its all 6.4 from now on?

Old 12-10-2006, 02:54 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
07s have the 6.0. The 08s will have the 6.4, If you can wait I would get one of those, The truck is way better and this new motor is suppose to be awsome. Mid january is when you should start seeing them, I few guys have already ordered them.

Old 12-10-2006, 04:04 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would say go with the new 6.4 motor, it's just the fact that keeps me from that is that it is a new engine, there are always going to be bugs that haven't been quite worked out yet no matter how much time you spent testing the truck. Also with all the epa stuff that this new truck is supposed to have, that also has me a little concerned. Plus not all stations have switched to the ULSD or atleast they are not certified with it, so it depends on how available it is in your area. Out of the 5 places that I stop for diesel, only two have it(one of which happens to be more often then not the cheapest place to get diesel so I go there).

Old 12-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Customz
Postmaster
I do it and it does fine. The important thing is to get to operating temp each time. It does get a little old driving a SD to the grocery store when a focus would do just fine, but i need the truck for work and don't have room for another vehicle.

Old 12-10-2006, 10:43 PM
chili7
Senior User
What they all said. But don't disregard finding a nice late model Lariat with the interior you want. I had that on my first one and really liked it. Also, any good dealer where you find your DREAM TRUCK, will be more than happy to recover your seats with leather. When I traded in my Lariat (sob, sob) for my XLT, I could have had them do the entire cab for $1200. If you really want it, make them come back with a price. Throw it in. After we got the XLT with the tan cloth seats, it took a few days, but my DW settled down on the leather thing. I liked it, but the motor is way more important in my book, if you go used.

Old 12-11-2006, 06:51 AM
satcom40
Elder User
I use mine as a daily drive from derby to stamford 35 miles and it runs just fine. And with the short on ramp here you have to get on it. You should not have any porblems.
I thing I go for an 05-07 if i had to do it over. Just for the front end/turning but I love my 04 see you soon on the road. John

Old 12-11-2006, 07:00 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by satcom40
I use mine as a daily drive from derby to stamford 35 miles
Is that roundtrip or one way? Even if it's roundtrip, that's round 17 miles one way, so if that's a daily drive for you, then it shouldn't be a problem like a person that drives just 10 miles or below as a daily driver. What really determines if it's going to be a problem for someone as a daily driver is the one that has less then 10 miles one way as a daily drive.

Quick Reply: Daily driving a diesel? advise