1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'87 Lincoln stuff into my '54?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 01:27 PM
ranger pat
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Old 01-19-2002, 04:15 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post '87 Lincoln stuff into my '54?

I have a Lincoln Continental... '87 model with the small v8. Just wondering what I might use in the way of parts to upgrade my braking, steering and front suspension. Would swapping out my good running y-block for the newer 302 and a/t make alot of sense? Would the Lincoln rear end improve my cool truck or create alot of work? The guy who gave me the Lincoln thinks its the only way to go... I think that 14 year old parts aren't necessarily primo, given all the work I'd have to do.
I am strongly inclined to go with the Volare ifs, but want to keep the stock steering wheel and shifter. Really need a brake upgrade after my stock brakes gave out on the way home from school... quite an adventure. I like the mild hotrod approach to my truck. 3-2's would probably be extreme but way cool.
This forum has really been helpful... like to hear y'alls ideas. Pete

Old 01-19-2002, 09:15 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts

If you are capable of alot of fabrication, it could be done. If not, go the more common route. The lincoln has coil springs? All this has to be cut off, and converted over to leaf springs. The easier way is to get a 57-72 rear out of a ford truck and it mostly bolts in. Does the lincoln use abs or some wacky hydraulic pump booster system for the brakes? I would stay away from this too. See if the trans is eletronic or not. If it takes alot of electronic controls, I wouldn't use it either.