1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

New Ranger kind a soft

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 12:16 AM
Rangerman3
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Ranger kind a soft

Don't you guys agree with me that newer Rangers, like '02, '03 till current '07 are not that of same caliber like older Ranger in the '90 ish?
It seems like these newer engine and components are not as durable as older trucks. It costs nickel and dime or fortune to keep up with repair as now. Am I missing something here? Does Ford quit making quality Rangers for good? Now, for compact, the Toyota seems to have better engine to say.
What you all think?

Old 12-08-2006, 03:07 AM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If my old 94 was better than what I got now, I would have kept it. Old will grow on you and 10 1/2 years was a long time. What Ford really needs to do is to come out with a new Ranger, not another facelift. As for the Japanese model, those have no place in my garage. I made my money in America and I try to keep as much of it here as possible. That's all.

Old 12-08-2006, 05:51 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've has an 84, 96, 2000, 01, and my crrent 04, the 04 is the best ranger I've had to date. I've had 0 problems with it and I wheel it harder than I did the others offroad. All of my rangers have been good, but the 4.0 sohc is by far the best engine I've had in a ranger. Great power and torque to get you moving on or off the road. Comfortable interior with highback buckets, stiff f-150 like suspension for the trails, I get decent mpg at 22/24. So I disagree, the ranger it's self is the same, but the engines have gotten better, a long with the seats and stereo's. I wouldn't hit a dog in the butt with a toyota engine or any other part of it. I sold yoda's for a while, and they had recalls and problems like the rest, I wouldn't trade 1 ranger for 5 toyota's. I hear the name so much it's starting to make me ill, but do the junks have to be mentioned on a ford ranger forum, this isn't toyota's -R- us.

Old 12-08-2006, 06:11 AM
sfcwoodret
Posting Guru
My 06 XLT is a solid truck, with a good firm ride. I believe the actual bodies have gotten weaker but the frames and engines have stayed about the same with improvements to the engines. Most truck bodies are thin molds anyway just for show, yet the frames and suspensions have held the mark of what kind of truck you really have.

Old 12-08-2006, 06:44 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
The bodies are made to give during an accident, to help absorb the impact. They have crumple zones, where thier made to fold in stages. The steel needs to give to keep the driver from taking all the impact. In the old days, people were getting killed with very little damage to the vehicle because the metal wouldn't give. My ranger body is strong enough and could help save my life.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:03 AM
Joelski
Elder User
Wendell and Billy done said it for me; I like my '03 the best of the 4 rangers I've had and I wouldn't wish a yoder on my worst enemy (well, Saddam's crew already has 'em, probably helped 'em lose). There is no other truck on the market with the power to weight of a ranger, and while the milage might stink a little, if that rankles ya, you might not have any bidnet owning a truck, period.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:23 AM
twoj05
Freshman User
My '02 FX4 did save my life in an accident. Walked away from a head-on at 45MPH with NO serious injuries. While I loved my '87, I doubt it would have done that for me. My '03 replacement truck is just as nice, and running well at 82,000.

As A biker friend of mine says "Friends don's let friends drive rice".

Old 12-08-2006, 05:36 PM
rangerfan
Posting Guru
My '03 2.3 was a great little truck. It never saw time in a shop. I'm still deciding on my new '06. Only have about 1,000 on it so far.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:55 PM
natebaker
Elder User
Rangers are great. I have a 1999 2.5 that I use to haul a trailer around for my tree trimming business. I weighed in on the scales at 7xxx pounds last week. I know that's much more than they're rated for (4700gvwr), but I am impressed with my Ranger week in and week out. It's lasted forever (152k) and still running strong. But, it looks like I'm giving it to my dad for a work truck as I'm upgrading to an '02 350 with the powerstroke(gotta have the 7.3L). Everything should be finalized on that in the next couple weeks. Rangers seem to be the most dependable little trucks. They also offer a true compact pickup as opposed to the mid-sized trucks that now plague our land.

Nice to see you Wendell and CB9M

Old 12-09-2006, 07:03 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
It's been a while Natebaker, glad to hear your well, you must be, upgrading to a 350 and all. Your ranger will make your Dad a fine work truck. When your a rich and famous tree trimmer, you can look back at the ole ranger, and say, "this is where it all started" ha ha. Good luck in the future my friend.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:03 AM
Rangerman3
Junior User
Originally Posted by natebaker
Rangers are great. I have a 1999 2.5 that I use to haul a trailer around for my tree trimming business. I weighed in on the scales at 7xxx pounds last week. I know that's much more than they're rated for (4700gvwr), but I am impressed with my Ranger week in and week out. It's lasted forever (152k) and still running strong. But, it looks like I'm giving it to my dad for a work truck as I'm upgrading to an '02 350 with the powerstroke(gotta have the 7.3L). Everything should be finalized on that in the next couple weeks. Rangers seem to be the most dependable little trucks. They also offer a true compact pickup as opposed to the mid-sized trucks that now plague our land.

Nice to see you Wendell and CB9M
Have you ever replaced clutch and brakes? I have used my '94, 2.3, 5 spd, pulling 5x8 trailer with 1000# Gravely Z rider on it. I am on second set of clutch and 3rd set of brakes. The engine is indestructible for that 2.3L, similar to 4.9, but brake, and clutch are not as great as its engine.
I don't know how you handle 7k # as you said, it is mind-boggling.

Old 12-09-2006, 01:17 PM
natebaker
Elder User
Originally Posted by Rangerman3
Have you ever replaced clutch and brakes? I have used my '94, 2.3, 5 spd, pulling 5x8 trailer with 1000# Gravely Z rider on it. I am on second set of clutch and 3rd set of brakes. The engine is indestructible for that 2.3L, similar to 4.9, but brake, and clutch are not as great as its engine.
I don't know how you handle 7k # as you said, it is mind-boggling.

I haven't replaced the clutch yet, but I'm going to have it done before I give it to my dad. It definitely needs it. I'm really easy on the clutch though. I'm never in a hurry when I'm pulling a load in it though. I might have the motor rebuilt for him before I hand over the reigns though. I don't want to give him a half worn down truck. It had alot more pep when it was young. I second the notion that the brakes and clutch aren't nearly as strong as the motor.

Old 12-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Level2
Posting Guru
My 04 hasnt impressed me any as far as durability. At 26K the pressure plate went bad, 32K I had to replace rear U-Joint, and now I have a growling noise coming out of the M5OD at 37K in 2nd and 4th gears and Im not that hard on it.

Old 12-09-2006, 09:14 PM
drb1956
Elder User
Yeah, and I bet you've had your foot on the floor all those miles...c'mon, I can read..all those performance upgrades. You didn't spend the money to look at the truck....

Old 12-10-2006, 04:04 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Boys, all of those complaining about the clutch and brakes, they do sell center force clutches and hawke brake pads. Did you ever think to upgrade to something stronger, it is a 4 banger truck after all. If my clutch went out tomarrow, there would be a centerforce dual friction clutch in it the next day. For sure will upgrade to some better aftermarket brake pads, like hawk, if for no other reason, to help cut down on the brake dust. Unlike level2, I do beat the crap out of mine offroad and on sometimes, but I have no problems, just comes back for more. Thats why I have bought 5 rangers, I'm impressed with thier durability. As far as the tranny goes, they have used the same 5-speed since 88, so it's not a newer ranger feature.