1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Anybody wanta sell their disk brake conversion kit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2000, 12:07 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 726 Likes on 259 Posts

Old 01-25-2002, 01:54 AM
54Guy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figure somebody out there must have finally gone whole hog and installed an independant front suspension after they had already done the disk brake conversion from a kit. And now has a left-over kit kicking around somewhere.
-G.B.

Old 01-25-2002, 09:55 PM
jaye
Posting Guru

If you are concerned with the price why don't you just buy the mounting brackets and get the rest at the junk yard or a local parts store. You will come out a lot cheaper than purchasing a complete kit. Not to mention the shipping.

Old 01-26-2002, 01:03 AM
54Guy
Senior User

Ok, not a bad idea, but the problem is the ads are really vague as to which particular calipers and rotors are supposed to be used with the basic kits. I already emailed one of the companies that manufactures these kits and got no answer back at all, so I can only guess that if you buy the basic kit from them you have to guess at what goes on it, and tough luck if you guess wrong.
-G.B.

Old 01-26-2002, 12:49 PM
koshare
Junior User

>Ok, not a bad idea, but the problem is the ads are really
>vague as to which particular calipers and rotors are
>supposed to be used with the basic kits. I already emailed
>one of the companies that manufactures these kits and got no
>answer back at all, so I can only guess that if you buy the
>basic kit from them you have to guess at what goes on it,
>and tough luck if you guess wrong.
>-G.B.

hey g.b. its me again. everyone told me the same thing, and after doing it i must admit they are right. i don't have your e-mail with me on my home computer, but when i get to work on monday i send you the part list. then all you will need is the brackets. the part list i have is for an ECI setup. there will be some gotchas with this kit and perhaps all. one is you will have to move the some of the grease fittings on the spindle. my instructions implied 2, but i had to move three. and you will have to grind the calipers to get them to mount on the brackets. eci takes care of that part of the process if you buy their kit. but if you go out an buy the same type of caliper you will need to some grinding. all and all it was a fairly simple install. that is the actual conversion of the drum setup to disc setup. the plumbing will probably require as much time if not more.

hasta.

Old 01-26-2002, 01:34 PM
jaye
Posting Guru

G.B.,
My calipers came from an 74-81 camaro,firebird also the brake hoses, the rotors came from 77-80 dodge aspen-chrysler lebaron-plym volare, No limit is probably a good place to get it (909) 275-9004. I used a booster/master cylinder & combination valve from an 85 ranger along with the stop light switch, there are many ways to get the hanging pedal I just brought mine fron industrial chasis (602)596-8105 Just drill a 2 1/2" hole for the booster and 4, 1/2" holes for the bolts.
Hope this helps

Old 01-27-2002, 09:51 AM
koshare
Junior User

>G.B.,
>My calipers came from an 74-81 camaro,firebird also the
>brake hoses, the rotors came from 77-80 dodge aspen-chrysler
>lebaron-plym volare, No limit is probably a good place to
>get it (909) 275-9004. I used a booster/master cylinder &
>combination valve from an 85 ranger along with the stop
>light switch, there are many ways to get the hanging pedal I
>just brought mine fron industrial chasis (602)596-8105 Just
>drill a 2 1/2" hole for the booster and 4, 1/2" holes for
>the bolts.
>Hope this helps

which ever company you get the bracket from, make sure the get the right parts to go with the particular bracket. i heard nothing but good things about no limit so i doubt you could go wrong with them. however the part list from the eci kit is slightly different than the no limit, e.g. the eci uses f150 rotors. i would imagine the spindle adapter would be different (?).

as jaye pointed out there are many different ways to do the hanging pedal. i was going to use the industrial chassis setup. but after spending about an hour on the phone with Mike at industrial chassis we decided it wouldn't work because of the way my full tilt hood worked. john nilon(sp?) has written a good article on hanging a pedal in a 53 in the tech section on this site. someone else mention using a pedal and bracket assemble from a 80 vintage mastang.

the nice thing about the industrial chassis kit, not to mention the people are excellent, it has been engineered to work in a 53-56 f100. the pedal hands in the right place, has the right pedal ratio, etc. the down side is it is $200. i'm using an 83 mustang bracket/pedal which requires some minor modifications to get everything to hang right, but the upside i got the assembly for $15 at a you pull salvage yard.

of course if you are hanging it under the floor board, the hanging pedal is a mute point.

hasta,
rick

Old 01-28-2002, 05:14 PM
darkhorse54
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can go to www.vintage-ford.com they have complete kits for $399.00 with the 5 1/2 in. bolt pattern or the basic kits for $149.00 or call toll free 1-888 FORD-100. No limit has the complete kits for $379.00 go to www.nolimit.net the basic kits are the same price, call toll free 1-888-297-6032.