First Batch!

Old 12-18-2006, 07:16 AM
plowboy2155
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Batch!

Hello, I made my first 1-liter test batch of biodiesel last night using brand new peanut frying oil. Everything seems to have turned out normal, as far as I can tell. The separation and the glycerine looks just like the picture on biodieselcommunity, however, the biodiesel is very cloudy, unlike the BD in the picture. Also, this morning I noticed a white precipitant, soap, I presume? Even if its not perfect, I think it turned out great to be my first batch. On the KOH, I finally stumbled across some soapmaking sites that sell KOH in small quantities. I look forward to making more BD soon.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:33 AM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on the first batch. Hopefully some of the biodiesel enthusiasts (which should be ANYONE who drives a diesel) will chime in and explain the cloudiness and/or the soapy substance (I can't). Eventually, I'll get into it myself. Again, congratulations.

Steve

Old 12-18-2006, 10:23 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by plowboy2155
Hello, I made my first 1-liter test batch of biodiesel last night using brand new peanut frying oil. Everything seems to have turned out normal, as far as I can tell. The separation and the glycerine looks just like the picture on biodieselcommunity, however, the biodiesel is very cloudy, unlike the BD in the picture. Also, this morning I noticed a white precipitant, soap, I presume? Even if its not perfect, I think it turned out great to be my first batch. On the KOH, I finally stumbled across some soapmaking sites that sell KOH in small quantities. I look forward to making more BD soon.
Sounds like an incomplete reaction. What was the base amount of KOH you used in your test batch?

Old 12-18-2006, 10:36 AM
plowboy2155
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The base amount that i used was between 7.5g/liter and 8g/liter. I might also mention that I think the oil was still too hot when I added the methoxide and some of the methanol probably boiled off. Impatience never pays off. I did do this outside, by the way.

Search this Thread